Micromax Funbook (Allwinner A10 based tablets) Discussion Thread

comp@ddict

Skilled
I finally bought my first android device, the micromax playbook.

Now I understand there are certain things, such as to determine whether my device is pre-rooted or do I have to root it. And why do I root it (if I do have to).

Also, what is SuperUser and what does it let me do. As well as (FUNBOOK Owners) which default apps should I remove to clear space and which are the essential Android Apps you use which I should know of (since I don't know many to be honest).

Please list down the android apps and games you have installed in your device. It would really help.

Any further info regarding the tablet from owners would also be helpful.

I have a VeeDee D10 tablet. When I rooted it, it showed a 'superuser' icon in the applications.
check if you have one too.

Whenever you run Apps, or use your Droid, no apps have access to all Rights.
With SuperUser you can run apps that require ROOT access. and grant/manage these rights.

By Default, no Droid is ROOTED. You need to root it, by installing SuperUser.
There are quite a few methods for it ,like flashing a rooted kernel/installing using Root4All etc..
Check XDA for more info and instructions about rooting.

There is a funbook thread on the facebook page of TE, it has some very good info. Look into it. btw, how much did you pay for the device?

Its pre rooted, btw. Install superuser frm the market and then in options, update binary is what you need to do :)

Here are a few Links that might help you imroving your Device's Performance and Root it.
1) ROOT(Includes CWM too)
2) ClockWorkMod Recovery(TO go into Recovery mode, so as to Backup,Restore and Flash ROMs, Kernels etc.)

ROMS:
1) JetMOD - Users Say its Great.
2) Fun Series

Hope it helped you! :)
Have a great time with your Funbook.

My funbook is prerooted. I'm a bit hesitant about installing ClockWordMod Recovery. Does it void warranty? Just had the tab for 2 days. Don't want to lose that already.

And any users of custom ROMS here? Apparently there's a CM9 based ROM too.

Also, can you tell me how to RID the bloatware. Like those songs and videos as well as those educational videos and apps which I DONT NEED (i passed 11th and 12th already)

Here are a few Links that might help you imroving your Device's Performance and Root it.
1) ROOT(Includes CWM too)
2) ClockWorkMod Recovery(TO go into Recovery mode, so as to Backup,Restore and Flash ROMs, Kernels etc.)

ROMS:
1) JetMOD - Users Say its Great.
2) Fun Series

Hope it helped you! :)
Have a great time with your Funbook.
The guy with JetMOD is using my ROM and MOD name without permissions :-| So pity, he is from my neighborhood city. Thanks for letting me know :D PMed him. Continuing my project on SGIII or HOX soon ;)

You are welcome dude..
comp@ddict You can install Custom Roms. NO problem. Flash CWM and install them.
Do a Backup of your current state via CWM and then install JetRom.
Whenever you run into issues or go back to stock, flash Stock ROM via ODIN or Flash stock via CWM and uninstall CWM :)

@F3niX Since I saw that some people had issues with the JetROM, avoided it. Although it can be reflashed back to stock, did not bother. All i did was change boot animation to stock ICS

@OP Try CM9 0.2 :)

Also installed titanium backup and apex launcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
@vivek.krishnan - couldn't find Nandroid on Google PlayStore, so installed Titanium Backup already.
@F3niX - One more question. How do I remove all the bloatware? Or does the custom ROM take care of all of it?
@Rahul++ - wow you're the developer for JetMOD? Good job with it though. Yeah grill that guy lol

Jetmod is actually the best ROM available, lots of free ram, fast and slick, and almost no problem, other than a slightly restricted market, but thats easily overcome.

CM9 lags horribly most times.

@comp@ddict Custom ROMs are meant to remove Bloatware and speed up. If you want to do it on your own, then ROOT your tab
Install Root Explorer
Goto /system/app and remove the apk's of apps you dont want to. Restart phone..
Before removing, make a backup of your current State via CWM. Just to be safe

Or just rename the APK of apps you dont need instead of deleting, so in case of any errors you can recover the phone faster via ADB.

Bought Micromax Playbook (my First android device) - What all should I know?

The very first thing to know is its not playbook, Its funbook. (I can see some angry BB users hearing this)
second, Just use it in your usual way as a tablet... You can notice the shortcomings and things you need or required for a better experience...if you start using in its stock conditions....
Check battery life and learn to manage running applications, try some apps remove which you dont like etc...

once you feel that the usage is enough and need to explore more, then comes the rooting, custom ROM etc...

DOnt worry just enjoy the device, have some peace of mind...

Rahul++ Developed JetMOD ? :O I thought Varun Chitre Did.. Thats what he Says!
BTW, All Funbook Owners, Check my site out: Funbook | Tweaks and Modifications
It answers most of your questions!

Lol, not the one for Funbook. He developed that ROM. Well, I used to develop my ROMs for Galaxy S under the name JetMOD and Jetpack before. He just stole my ROM name. Knowing, JetMODS and Jetpack were very very popular ROM and Modifications for Galaxy S, Captivate, Infuse and other Galaxy Family variants. I have reported about ROM name anyway as I am going to continue the work with the same name on Galaxy S3, HTC One X in couple of months. I already have stated that.

Back