Micromax Yu launched at ₹9000

Xiaomi and OnePlus may be offering killer specs at lower prices but the quality of their devices is usually a hit or miss affair.
You are lucky if you get a good piece else read the horror stories on their forums about network issues, call quality, touch problems etc
Theres a guy on OnePlus forums who returned his OnePlus One 4 times and still got a defective piece.
So quality wise i would rate them as the same as Micromax
Micromax now has a chance to do something better with the YU brand, lets hope they learn from their past mistakes and give us a better experience
Not imo, a micromax barely works a few months without a problem,xiaomi s, oppo s, opos are working fine.

There will always be isolated issues, but with micromax it's expected when u buy a device.

Yu yureka is another El cheapo rebrand, don't expect much of it either

Xiaomi and OnePlus may be offering killer specs at lower prices but the quality of their devices is usually a hit or miss affair.
You are lucky if you get a good piece else read the horror stories on their forums about network issues, call quality, touch problems etc
Theres a guy on OnePlus forums who returned his OnePlus One 4 times and still got a defective piece.
So quality wise i would rate them as the same as Micromax
Micromax now has a chance to do something better with the YU brand, lets hope they learn from their past mistakes and give us a better experience

Don't compare One Plus One with MMX phones.

MMX has no virtually no QA. they just order phones from Chinese factories and get them branded. As I said before, getting MMX phone (or any other such brands in India) is literally paying more to buy the phone in India so you don't have to order from Alixpress. In all practicality, they operate just like your average kirana store. they get stuff from wholesalers and package it with their own labels and sell them. The quality is exactly what they get from the wholesaler. This does not mean that MMX phones are always poor quality. It just means that the quality depends on the source they got it from. If its from a good manufacturer, it will work well. It all depends on the quality of the source.

One Plus One on the other hand is one of the best built phones that I have come across. On par or better than the best built phones from the most well known brands. For practical purposes, its considerably better than something like iPhone which costs a bomb, but is frail as hell.

The random QA issues you are quoting are something that every brand has currently. For example, a lot of people like to rate Apple very high in quality (though I have never understood why), but they also have a lot of defective phones that get through to the customer. Phones with network issues, software issues, overheating, buttons not working, damage out of the box and everything else that can go wrong with a phone. The difference is that such companies have good PR teams and employ various tactics and information control to limit bad publicity about issues. Even design/manufacturing issues are mostly suppressed.

Example, Apple have had design defects in almost every iteration of the iPhone. but regardless of the case, it was all easily managed or suppressed using their PR tactics. For instance, Apple got its capacitive touch screen tech by buying out an European company that went bankrupt. They went bankrupt because their technology had a major flaw that resulted in specific areas of the screen loosing touch sensitivity and it made their work unmarketable. Apple employed the same tech in the their first gen iPhones and they were affected by this flaw. A horizontal strip of area would suddenly loose touch ability. They incentivised the public and the apparently the media as well for not bringing large scale attention to it and anybody who got this issue with their iPhone can go to the nearest Apple store and return the affected unit for a brand new replacement on the spot. An issue like that in a Xiaomi device or One Plus would have been seen as unforgivable even if they were also handing out replacements in a similar manner.

+1.
All brands,all phones have some issues or the other.
I bought an iPad air a few months ago. The charging port is a mess now and works sporadically.
The one on my iPhone 5 is working fine. But the screen on my iPhone does not wake up when I swipe across in conventional way. Remedied via cydia.
Now both the devices were purchased with official apple India warranty.
But I live in a tier 2,city and visiting a service centre is out of question with NY work schedule.
The less said about mbp ac adapter, the better.
Still I like apple products. Because other brands also have their own set of issues.
But it is actually great if you know of the issues beforehand so that you can decide if they affect you.
OPO seemingly has an overheating issue. I generally don't game on my phones. So doesn't affect me in the least.
But in some devices, the issues affect a comparatively large no of users. Xperia z series cracked glass for example. Or the yellow tint on one plus one.
The mmain problem I see in buying these awesome Chinese phones is if you plan on keeping the phone for a linger duration and some hardware goes kaput.

Let us see in my case. I buy a OPO. Enjoy it for a few months. Then let us say that the fragile micro usb port gives up. What do I do? Send the phone to China? Atleast in Samsung /lg/Nokia phones, you can get them repaired if at all.
Amazon customer care was awesome when they started selljng OPO. Now with the HC ban, I am sure their enthusiasm for both selling and servicing the phone will dwindle.also they have got their hands on the new yureka and they chose to play god against FK/xiaomi.
Hmm, so much for cloudtail inc. And Mr narayana murthy.
I don't see them appealing the matter in court as unlike xiaomi they don't have much to loose. So might as well get a global OPO and enjoy the OTA.
P.s. : the official logo of micromax does well to describe the philosophy of company against users who decide to visit their service centres for any issues.
God,I miss those days when my Lumia 800 conked after a month,went to then service centre and walked out 2 days later with a cheque of 21k in my hands.

I've returned three, :).

So I'm questioning OPO quality as well. My theory is that these are the globally rmaed/rejected Ones.

Anybody planning to buy this with the expectation that they would be getting software updates in future should read this and rethink their decision.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/cyngn-oneplus-micromax-the-legal-battle/

If cyanogen can breach their contract with One Plus One in such a manner, there is no guarantee that they won't do the same with MMX if/when they get an even bigger contract from somebody else.

It looks to me that Cyanogen thinks they can get away with breaking contracts thinking on the lines that Asian companies won't have any edge in battling it out in US courts. In fact, even if MMX has the resources, they wouldn't even be inclined or bothered to battle it out for the sake of customers from whom they already got the money.

If you intend to buy this, buy with the thinking that what you are getting is the final product without any expectation of updates and that any update you get later is just an added bonus.

I'm going to buy this in place of Xiaomi Redmi Note 3G which has Mediatek and stuck at Android 4.2 but this has Qualcomm and atleast 4.4.4

Cyanogen seems like an unethical company with all this contract breaking and such. Sure they keep alive many of our phones till date even when manufacturers have stopped providing updates. But this is not the right thing to do.

I don't think we can jump to conclusions about who's been wronged unless we can read the whole contract.

There was also a grant of limited exclusivity given to OnePlus, stating that as long as OnePlus didn’t breach the agreement, Cyanogen “shall not engage in the integration of CyanogenMod with any other mobile device manufacturer for the purpose of distributing such device in the permitted territory” for the first 30 days. The agreement goes on to state that Cyanogen would not “develop or integrate features and services similar to the CMOD [we presume this refers to CyanogenMod] enhancements for any other mobile device manufacturer … in the permitted territory.” during this time.

Wouldn't that mean that the exclusivity was time-bound? So it's just a matter of time?

http://dgit.in/Asus-Pegasus-64bit

535952_10152448783352385_3411911986150283695_n.jpg

Asus has launched a new smartphone - Pegasus X002 – in China. Priced at CNY 799 (Rs. 8,000 approximately), the new Asus smartphone is expected to compete with Xiaomi's smartphones.

The Asus Pegasus X002 has a 5-inch 720p display. It is powered by a 1.5GHz quad-core MediaTek 64-bit SoC along with 2GB of RAM. The smartphone runs Android 4.4 KitKat with Asus Zen UI on top.

My relative wants one and this has all again the registration process from which I am already frustrated with Xiaomi. Anyways, If anyone has one in cart, lemme know? :)

If you have registered , you would have got this by now! And oh BTW no mobile app logins will work for waitlist!

To purchase the Yureka Smartphone, you will need to follow the steps given below:

Step 1: Log into your Amazon.in account a few minutes prior to the sale at 2:00 PM on Tuesday, January 13, 2015. Please save the payment instruments securely in your account for a quick checkout.

Step 2: Add Yureka Smartphone to your cart when the Sale starts and checkout the product within 15 minutes. No further steps are required if order is successfully completed.

Step 3: If all the Yureka Smartphones are already added to cart by other customers, you might be asked to join a Waitlist. We recommend you to join the Waitlist. If the original buyer fails to complete the order within 15 minutes, the smartphone will become available for purchase to the customer in Waitlist.

Step 4: If you are in Waitlist, an alert will appear on your screen notifying when the smartphone becomes available with the 'Add to Cart' button activated.

Step 5: You will have 3 minutes to add the smartphone to your cart and 15 minutes to checkout in order to complete your purchase.

Step 6: If the Waitlist is full as well, we recommend you to refresh the page every few minutes till end end of the Sale to see if the Waitlist becomes available.

Please Note - If you are logged in from mobile, the Waitlist option will not be visible.

Last edited:
Back