Microsoft set to take Xbox 360 to 3D

Microsoft is rumored to be working on an update to the Xbox 360 that will focus on bringing 3D content to the platform. If true, this would be a complete reversal from last year when Microsoft said 3D was too niche and it had absolutely no interest in encouraging developers to make engaging 3D content for the 360.

Microsoft faced a bit of pressure to jump on the 3D bandwagon after Sony made such a big deal of 3D onPS3 last year. Sony still thinks it's an important strategy and one that will keep it ahead in the always competitive console wars.

Over the last year, dozens of PS3titles have included 3D support, bringing a new level of experience to the high-def console's presentation. It also allows users to stream 3D movies on a pay-per-view basis. Microsoft assured consumers last year that the Xbox 360 had the technical capabilities to run 3D games, and said developers were more than welcome to take advantage of it, but said it would not promote any game that did so and had no plans to spend a single cent on advertising the platform's 3D capabilities. But now, even though 3D hasn't become a mainstream standard in living rooms yet, there is no denying that it is slowly beginning to creep into the picture and it doesn't look like it will go away.

According to Microsoft fan site msxbox-world.com, the 3D update may come as early as next week, and will highlight a few titles that take advantage of the console's capabilities. Gears of War 3 and Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary, along with Batman: Arkham City are or will be capable of running 3D visuals.

Source: Microsoft set to take Xbox 360 to 3D | TG Daily

Noooooooooooooooooo dammit i don't want 3D, make hardware changes first :mad: :mad:. Too much 3D movies i have seen this year and i am hating all of them.

^ don't worry, you can simply choose not to enable this feature :)

But then you are right, the 3D technology available now is irritating rather than providing a richer experience

Back