Microsoft Zune Thread

dipdude

Skilled
A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed to Reuters this afternoon that an MP3 player, for which Toshiba has filed for a license with the FCC, is actually the Zune player that Toshiba will apparently be manufacturing on behalf of Microsoft. The application was for a 30 GB hard drive MP3 player with a 3-inch color display.

As a chassis, the Zune prototype depicted in the FCC filing appears to have been derived from Toshiba's existing Gigabeat line of players, though with a round controller more similar to Apple's iPod, rather than the Gigabeat's four-pointed star control. The unit will be powered by a lithium-ion rechargeable battery, that can use a recharger stand connected to a PC's USB port. Like the Gigabeat, the Zune will have a three-inch TFT display tilted in portrait mode. It will be available in black, white, and in a nod to those who love color but perhaps don't love it too much, brown. Whether Zune users will appreciate its all-plastic design may become an important question, especially given how consumers responded to early editions of Apple's iPod nano screen, which was prone to scratches.

Toshiba's involvement as the apparent sole manufacturer of the Zune device for Microsoft explains why Toshiba was not among those companies expressing any opinion whatsoever on the Zune announcement last week, while Microsoft's portable media partners Creative Labs, SanDisk, and iRiver scrambled for position.
Toshiba will manufacture wireless Zune for Microsoft, photos reveal | TG Daily
Image Gallery | TG Daily

["Not a lot of surprises in the specs department, but they've confirmed the basics we've known for a while, like WiFi, 30GB of HDD, built-in FM, a 3-inch screen and the basic music, pictures and video playback. They also finally let slip the screen res -- an unsurprising QVGA -- and some better news on the codec front: the Zune supports h.264, MP3, AAC and WMA. As for ballyhoo, wireless Zune-to-Zune sharing is where the real action is at, and it works pretty much like we've been hearing: you can share a full-length track with a friend, and they've got three times to listen to it over a three day period, after which they can flag the song for purchase on the Zune Marketplace -- unless they're an unlimited 'Zune Pass' subscriber, of course."]

From here

Doom9.net - The Definitive DVD Backup Resource (9/18)

Amongst the features that Microsoft has added to compete with the iPod is the ability to share files via wireless interface. Undoubtedly in order to not get in trouble with the RIAA, Microsoft is adding a timebomb to each song shared so they can only be listened to 3 times, and they will expire after 3 days regardless of any listening attempts made - and it doesn't stop at songs that come DRM protected, any song you load, even songs that you're allowed to share, will have that timebomb slapped on them.

zuneipodsidebysideak8.jpg

zuneipodscreenat3.jpg

zuneipodstackwv1.jpg

zunealbumartdy8.jpg

zunealbumlistzk3.jpg

Source : Zune and iPod Photo Comparison

Btw, its been compared to a 80 GB ipod, which is bigger to the 30GB ipod. The 30 Gb ipod will wins hands down (literally) in terms of dimensions and wieght.

So throughout this whole Zune launch thing the whole lot of us have been playing cat and mouse with Microsoft on the finer points. Will it or won't it be built on PlaysForSure or some variant? How will it recognize copyrighted vs. creative commons content without opening up piracy loopholes? And perhaps most importantly: how will the wireless work? Well, it turns out that a Zune employee by the name of David Caulton thought it'd be worth putting together a cogent explanation of what the Zune wireless connection can and can't do.

You can:

Can search for and find other Zunes nearby.
Can send songs / albums for the 3 x 3 trial. Songs past the three days / listens are deleted at next sync, but catalogued on your PC for record-keeping should you want to purchase them later. No word on whether Microsoft is going to keep track of which files are traded.
You can send and receive image files for "unlimited viewing." (Oh, so copyrighted images aren't worth DRMing?)

You can't:

Connect to the internet.
Download songs directly from the Zune store via WiFi.
Sync to your computer via WiFi.

More info on the Zune here

Engadget

Zune is probrably better than ipod because of the wifi (which i don't care) and the better and brighter screen.

But what i was really looking for was a player which can directly download songs from the net or listen to online radio,with a bluetooth headset,built-in-GPS and battery life that lasts a week:D:D

Muahahah.
Get ready for portable mp3 players that come with the Exciting New BLUESCREEN OF DEATH technology ( as seen in Win 3.1/95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP ! ).
From now on enjoy exciting new features with your player like:

1.Numbing your thumb after rebooting for the 3 millionth time !

2.Pulling Your Hair Out In Frustration!

3." Zune has encountered a Fatal Exception at x007P4555. Zune will now shut down and give it to you ... in the ass.

Microsoft Launches Zune.net
Microsoft launches Zune companion site, offers 14 day free trial of Zune Pass

Microsoft has launched its companion site for the Zune music player. Zune.net is a gathering place for users to explore the social aspects of the player, meet new and upcoming artists, check out official Microsoft accessories and get more detailed information on the Zune itself.

Speaking of device specifics, Zune.net divulges quite a bit of information about the player itself. We already know that it has a 30GB hard drive, 3" QVGA screen, FM radio and WiFi. From perusing the site, we learned that the device measures 4.4" x 2.4" x 0.6" and weighs 5.6 ounces. Battery life is rated at 14 hours (WiFi off) and 13 hours (WiFi on) when playing music. Battery life when watching videos is listed at "up to 4 hours." Charging time is listed at 3 hours from empty and 2 hours to 90% charge.

Also worthy of note is that Microsoft is giving Zune owners a free 14 day trial of its Zune Pass subscription service. Users can download as much music as they desire within the trial period and listen to the tracks as much as they like, but the songs will go dead after 14 days. You'll then either have to purchase the tracks or you can delete them off your player.

Finally, now that Microsoft is launching Zune Marketplace to accompany the Zune player, it is discontinuing its MSN Music store. After November 14, the MSN Music store will no longer offer music downloads.

Dailytech

Check out the review ...

Overall, this seems pretty promising. I can't find any mis-steps or anything where I have to ask "wait, this is dumb, why did you do this?" in both the player and the software. The Zune itself is very sexy, and feels nice to the touch—not too heavy. We can't wait to do another hands on as the launch date approaches. Oh, and I still can't decide which color is my favorite. – Jason Chen

Source : Zune: First Full Review - Gizmodo

Microsoft takes Zune website live

Zune.net wraps all the details about Zune in a fancy package and highlights the player's music download services, social networking approach and availoable accessories, such as stereo docks, headphones, car adapters and a remote control. There's also an Apple-like approach, with some artists promoting the upcoming device.

We hear that Microsoft will be publishing more details about the Zune U.S. launch on November 10 on Zune.net. So, just in case you can't see Apple's Ipod anymore, starve for a Wi-Fi capable music player in white black or brown, expect some Zune news later this week.

Microsoft takes Zune website live | TG Daily

Dailytech

Microsoft's Zune Music Players Available Early

It looks as though some stores have jumped the gun ahead of the Zune's official November 14 launch date. The $249 player has shown up in a few stores across the nation including a Best Buy at the Union City Landing shopping center.

Also worthy of mention is that the Zune software struck its first blow on the populous with an installation error

Microsoft to Add Wireless Video Sharing to the Zune
portable media player, the Zune, has just been released and already talks have started about future updates to the device. While no time line has been given, Steve Ballmer told Bloomberg.com that the ability to share songs wirelessly will be expanded to also allow the sharing of videos. Information regarding DRM limitations that would undoubtedly be placed on the shared videos was not shared, though the "3 plays in 3 days" system is the most likely candidate.

Bloomberg.com: U.S.

Overall

All in all, any reservations I had about the device melted away after I had a few moments with the Zune. Yes, it is a first-generation product but I really like the direction Microsoft is taking with the Zune. Regardless of either the Zune or the iPod, the consumer will be the winner of this new front in the battle for our entertainment lifestyle. Though I really enjoy the few moments today with the Zune, I secretly look forward to Apples response. Hopefully it will be better than dealing "massive damage to the giant enemy crab’s weak point." d’oh!

The Older Gamers Paradise - 2old2play - Hands On The Zune

Overall, this seems pretty promising. I can't find any mis-steps or anything where I have to ask "wait, this is dumb, why did you do this?" in both the player and the software. The Zune itself is very sexy, and feels nice to the touch—not too heavy. We can't wait to do another hands on as the launch date approaches. Oh, and I still can't decide which color is my favorite

Zune: First Full Review - Gizmodo

Back