Microwave on top of Fridge ?

pEtRa

Disciple
Hi all.

Due to limited space in kitchen, I am thinking of keeping the microwave on top of a 165L fridge, am yet to buy the microwave, though.

I will buy the microwave only if it is perfectly okay to keep it on top of fridge. I am really worried if some kind of wave interaction or some sort will spoil one of them, am not sure of it thought, just a novice in this area.

Please help me.

I don't think there will be problem on microwave part, since microwaves are quite hazardous manufacturers make sure it doesn't leak out, not sure of refrigerator part .

No waves should ever exit the microwave so it won't affect the fridge.

Placing the micowave on top of the fridge will mean its at a higher level than usual and so you will be taking out hot stuff from an uncomfortable angle, so you need to exercise caution when handling liquids.

I'd say that's really the only downside here.

Should keep any nosy children away from it tho :)

I guess almost ALL the manuals of a microwave would mention a strict NO to keep it on top of or nearby a fridge. I am not competent to elaborate the reasons though.

Kneo said:
I guess almost ALL the manuals of a microwave would mention a strict NO to keep it on top of or nearby a fridge. I am not competent to elaborate the reasons though.

I doubt that. Someone please confirm?

My family is using Microwave on top of 165 lt fridge since two years and we are facing no problem at all. Fridge is rocksolid 1990 model Voltas and the Microwave is 27 lit Sharp.

I have had my Microwave above my 180L fridge for about 10 - 12 years now, faced no problems.

If any leaks from microwave they will probably help pre-cook the food in the fridge. :eek:hyeah:

^^ Reason why manufacturers ask not to put a microwave on a fridge is 'coz a fridge needs proper ventilation on all sides & microwave emits a good amount of heat while cooking which means slightly lesser efficiency on the refrigerators part & more electricity consumption for cooling....

But this holds true if you use microwave for heavy cooking... Mostly in India its used to warm up food so its used for ~4-5 mins max... The feet raises the base of the microwave & hence the ventilation for refrigerator gets taken care of...

Bottom line is, it will only effect in a slightly more consumption of electricity for the refrigerator which is almost negligible...

So no problem keeping a microwave on top a fridge but yes there will be difficulty in handling hot food...

Back