Mini displayport to vga

Reddevil7

Disciple
Hi everyone,i bought an hd7950 but its dvi port is defective and only hdmi and mini displayport work but my monitor only has a vga in.My question is can i use a mini displayport to vga adapter and use it as my only display?If it is possible which mini displayport to vga adapter should i buy? Will any adapter for apple devices work or will i need a windows specific one?what about active and passive adapters,i heard you only need them to connect more than 2 displays.I decided against hdmi to vga adapter as i think hdmi to vga adapters only output at fixed 16:9 resolutions like 720p,1080p etc and my monitor resolution is 1680x1050 .I'd prefer not to spend a high amount on this adapter as i'll probably upgrade my monitor soon .Help me out guys really need your help and thanks in advance

There are mainly two kinds of display port cables, the Apple and non-Apple cable. Apple cables are expensive and may not worth based on your requirement. Try cables from generic brand which may or may not work. My suggestion would be to use HDMI to VGA cable, this may not give you full resolution support but will work for sure.

There are mainly two kinds of display port cables, the Apple and non-Apple cable. Apple cables are expensive and may not worth based on your requirement. Try cables from generic brand which may or may not work. My suggestion would be to use HDMI to VGA cable, this may not give you full resolution support but will work for sure.
Hmm good point , if only someone could confirm if 1680x1050 resolution is supported over hdmi to vga adapter because as you said, it will surely work...just the resolution!

I use a DVI to VGA converter in my office PC and it works fine at 1680x1050 resolution.
Hey thanks for the response,as a matter of fact i use a dvi to vga adapter too with my other graphic card but i want to know if an hdmi to vga adapter will function the same.

Converters are a hit-or-miss type stuff. One has to take the plunge & test their luck!

Check the direction - input/output. Have seen many buyers complain about converters not working and see that they did not bother to check what the seller clearly showed in the photo - input & output.

Back