Budget 0-20k Mini ITX Build For Plex and Steam Home Streaming

SudipBasu

Disciple
Hi Everyone,

need a suggestion for building a client PC for Plex and steam home streaming for gaming. I have a proper PC setup on other room, I need this for the bedroom. But I am not sure what to chose a PC or a cheap android device. Nvidia shield is a good choice but at that price point, I think a PC will be a far better choice (comparing to software, not hardware). barebone Intel NUC is a viable option, but can anyone suggest which NUC CPU is best for my requirements?
I am open to suggestion, please suggest whats your build, I don't want to spend too much on it. my budget is around 20K.

Purposefully not using the template. will update if required.

Since you are restricting to 20k are you looking at full size ATX/Micro-ATX setup?
Mini-ITX with enough horsepower for Plex transcoding will not be possible at that budget.

I would suggest to opt for Nvidia Shield in that case. I have it, but not using it as a Plex Server.

if you do not need the transcoding, then opt for a NAS and install the client on that.

Since you are restricting to 20k are you looking at full size ATX/Micro-ATX setup?
Mini-ITX with enough horsepower for Plex transcoding will not be possible at that budget.

Mini-ITX, as I said earlier, this just a client, not a server, I have a proper plex server on my other room. My server can handel transcoding.

I would suggest to opt for Nvidia Shield in that case. I have it, but not using it as a Plex Server.

if you do not need the transcoding, then opt for a NAS and install the client on that.

this not server, just a client.

I think everyone misunderstood the question

Mini-ITX, as I said earlier, this just a client, not a server, I have a proper plex server on my other room. My server can handel transcoding.

Then I would suggest looking up on amazon as any mini-ITX NUC kits available over there would suffice. Pick and choose as per your budget. I can't check amazon right now as I am in office but I remember seeing one for 10k (sans RAM/HDD) yesterday.

Another easier option for TV viewing would be the Mi Box 3 which would be cheaper I guess as you don't need transcoding.

Two years back I needed a thin client to pay H265 videos natively and I got a Android TV Box( Tronsmart Vega S95 Telos) and a Air remote. I initially used Plex but then switched over to Kodi.

If its a client, just get a RPi 3/3+ and do the needful. if you want HEVC then opt for an android box.

Then I would suggest looking up on amazon as any mini-ITX NUC kits available over there would suffice. Pick and choose as per your budget. I can't check amazon right now as I am in office but I remember seeing one for 10k (sans RAM/HDD) yesterday.

Another easier option for TV viewing would be the Mi Box 3 which would be cheaper I guess as you don't need transcoding.

Two years back I needed a thin client to pay H265 videos natively and I got a Android TV Box( Tronsmart Vega S95 Telos) and a Air remote. I initially used Plex but then switched over to Kodi.

Yes Intel NUC is the best choice. I am currentely looking at this model. NUC7PJYH
MI BOX3 is good but dont have eathernet port. and you need extra adaptor for that.

If its a client, just get a RPi 3/3+ and do the needful. if you want HEVC then opt for an android box.

I am currently using RPI3 with Rasplex. performance is kind of OK. game streaming is a real headache. particularly controller driver. I am using Parsec.

yup a fire stick should work as a client :)

Same problem as Mi Box 3, dont have eathernet port and usb port. for game streaming, I need game controller support also.

I will go for Intel NUC then. Thanks everyone for your time.

I checked that model and it has a Pentium J5005 which is a Gemini Lake Atom.
I use a J4205 in my headless file server which has been replaced by this new J5005.
Its good enough for Windows remote connection from work laptop for use torrent/direct downloading and SMB share for other devices but I have never tried streaming games on it.
1080p H264 is okay but 1080p H265 10 bit stutters on this one though.No hiccups in internet browsing(I didn't try playing videos over Remote Connection though)

You can check out my build here.
https://www.techenclave.com/communi...-died-in-2-5-years.188122/page-2#post-2163512

Do you need a server or a client?

Building a decent server within 20k is possible, but you would have to go for second hand components.

I currently use a plex server with an Nvidia 1050 for transcoding, and it works amazingly well.

Back