Mini project on Courier Tracking System

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
Responding to this thread - http://www.techenclave.com/programming/c-mini-project-topic-suggestion-157449.html

I was tracking one courier and suddenly thought of writing a program similar to Courier Tracking system.

Now, the thing is, I'll make it in C language. I can construct all modules inside it.

I just want to know, what features should I implement in it?

My layout of this mini project -

1. Function for adding consignment in tracking system (It will ask Origin to destination, and auto generate one unique consignment number)
  2. Function for updating consignment in transit location and status. (Docket transition may be within multiple locations as like Kolhapur > Mumbai > Delhi > Agra)
  3. Function for delivery confirmation and report.
  4. Function for Shipment tracking with help of Consignment number. (The function we use on all Courier website)

I'll use structure part for tabular outputs of Date, Location, Status

I want your help to improve features of this project and also how can I make this project better :)

:hap2:

I would suggest adding more reports. Like number of packages sent in past 1, 7 or 30 days, lost shipments, shipments which have not been delivered for a long time etc. Such this are normally useful in terms of business.

and then send the program to all the courier companies for free.

consider it a social service for us all.. :(

@hammerhead, how can I display reports of last 7 days or a month in C or C++? That will be difficult somehow.. :(

I can list out undelivered shipments.. Teacher told me, not to make your project a Mega project.. It should be mini by meaning :p

Rahulrulez said:
@hammerhead, how can I display reports of last 7 days or a month in C or C++? That will be difficult somehow.. :(
I can list out undelivered shipments.. Teacher told me, not to make your project a Mega project.. It should be mini by meaning :p

Well you are planning to keep track of dates of all orders right? If so then viewing reports by duration should not be hard at all. And it should not be very bulky.

I suggest you implement the core first (your idea) then if you have time move on for additional features.

Rahulrulez said:

It all depends on how you store your data. If you choose a good enough data structure, you can query information and add on all sorts of reports etc later without having to change the core of your program. Storing to a database like sqlite etc (by using some libraries) would be good but you could even do it with a flat file by making your own database..

Back