Mistakenly plugged a 110v adaptor to 230v supply but nothing happened..

Got a small audio receiver from US that clearly mentions 100-120V. When I last checked, someone had directly plugged it directly in our 230v wall socket since a couple hour for charging the device. Now interestingly nothing happened, i would have expected the adaptor to burn out but its working fine! Is it recommended to use without a step down adaptor or you think it will eventually burn out once a threshold is reached? Or is the adaptor actually compatible up to 230V?

Like i mentioned, it says 100-120v.
How soon would the adaptor last? Can it take the ordeal for couple hours?

normally it should blow up in a second, so you are tempting fate. probably your device is also getting overloaded with current, so you can lose both adaptor and device today :)

video for your relaxation

Its quite possible that the adapter has some form of over voltage cut off. So maybe when its plugged it in did not result in any fireworks, but the question is whether its working in that situation?

Okay, an update.. the adapter conked off in a couple months in spite of using step down transformer. The other adapter that was never plugged without a step-down transformer still works fine.. so the mistake did prove costly..

Okay, an update.. the adapter conked off in a couple months in spite of using step down transformer. The other adapter that was never plugged without a step-down transformer still works fine.. so the mistake did prove costly..

So the adapter you used without the Step-down transformer (220v to 110v converter) died but the adapter with the converter is working ???

As per my experience it should have blown immediately. And the fact that it was running fine for a couple of months means you were plain lucky. But what I would be worried about now is that it might have caused harm to internal components of the device, if output DC voltage would have been higher than the required because of higher input a/c.

Back