MNP: Vodafone to Airtel or Jio?

While both do support Vowifi, for some reason Airtel seems to be more twitchy. But I think it has more to do with my device (Poco X3), as my sim on another device has vowifi working flawlessly, Dad's Airtel also has vowifi without issue, both devices being Android One. Since you will be using on iphone, don't think vowifi should be an issue.
I think other members experience with vowifi should help here.
I have never had good experience with using VoWiFi, explicitly have it turned off on everybody's phone at home because it was like your average VoIP calls - latency delay while talking and the other person hearing.

Is it more phone or network operator dependent?

because it was like your average VoIP calls - latency delay while talking and the other person hearing.
I never had latency issues when vowifi is working. I mean there's a delay of 1 second when the signal transitions from mobile network to wifi, after that it's smooth. The clarity does improve a lot.

Is it more phone or network operator dependent?
Both are necessary. I have read that Jio's vowifi is stable compared to Airtel. Also read that for Airtel vowifi some changes need to be made to router configuration to make it work properly. But I haven't made any such changes to my router and yet Airtel's vowifi is pretty much solid on my two Android One devices. Probably the modem configuration of some devices messes with vowifi functionality.

Update: I switched to Jio few days back. Since i am at home, I cannot say if network is good or bad as mostly it works on wifi calling. Anyways my reason of switching wasn't from Vi was never about Vi's bad service but I required a different operator than Vi as wife already uses that.

Switched from Vodafone to Airtel couple of years ago after more than a decade and a half with Vodafone in different guises (was Orange back then). The service during the 4G migration really went downhill and I needed an eSIM for my iPhone which Vodafone did not have at that point. Airtel Black works better for the family as a whole. Have a Jio SIM since it was first launched and incoming service works without recharge, so it is just a disposable SIM for what it is worth. Overall, Airtel has the better coverage.
I never had latency issues when vowifi is working. I mean there's a delay of 1 second when the signal transitions from mobile network to wifi, after that it's smooth. The clarity does improve a lot.

Both are necessary. I have read that Jio's vowifi is stable compared to Airtel. Also read that for Airtel vowifi some changes need to be made to router configuration to make it work properly. But I haven't made any such changes to my router and yet Airtel's vowifi is pretty much solid on my two Android One devices. Probably the modem configuration of some devices messes with vowifi functionality.
Had issues on Airtel VoWiFi when it launched initially but it has been rock solid for quite some time now and the audio quality on a good home connection is defnitely better than over 4G.

Last edited:
I have a query related to mnp, sorry to ask here (wanted to avoid creating new thread just for this).

I'm planning to move from airtel to jio next week. How long will it take to activate the new network and also get sms, otps?

I have a query related to mnp, sorry to ask here (wanted to avoid creating new thread just for this).

I'm planning to move from airtel to jio next week. How long will it take to activate the new network and also get sms, ot
Process takes 4-5 days but during which your airtel sim will continue to work, you will get messages from jio during process and will inform date/time of starting jio services, usually happpens midnight.

Process takes 4-5 days but during which your airtel sim will continue to work, you will get messages from jio during process and will inform date/time of starting jio services, usually happpens midnight.
Once jio is activated, is there any 24 hours waiting period to get sms messages?

Once jio is activated, is there any 24 hours waiting period to get sms messages?
Once activated you need call cc and verify some details (DOB/address etc.). Also need to do FRC recharge plan which is different from normal plans. Think it will immediately activate sms/calls/data for you...

Thanks, contacted jio operator too and they confirmed the same...
But sadly they are hell bent on taking only aadhaar and biometric details. They refused other id's. I'm having second thoughts.

Thanks, contacted jio operator too and they confirmed the same...
But sadly they are hell bent on taking only aadhaar and biometric details. They refused other id's. I'm having second thoughts.
All operators will ask for Adhaar, Btw what's wrong with portimg using the Adhaar?

There's manual paper work involved if you use anything other than Aadhaar. They're hell bent on Aadhaar because they have apps to do the KYC and the form formalities which fetch your data from UIDAI servers using your Aadhar and Biometric authentication. Makes the process very easy and mostly automated.

No one does the old 2000-2012 era paperwork for buying SIM cards now.

There's manual paper work involved if you use anything other than Aadhaar. They're hell bent on Aadhaar because they have apps to do the KYC and the form formalities which fetch your data from UIDAI servers using your Aadhar and Biometric authentication. Makes the process very easy and mostly automated.
It's easier for them but I'm worried if seeding aadhaar to jio would be a privacy/data risk...But then again it's reliance jio and most probably they have everybody's data in their hands anway.

It's easier for them but I'm worried if seeding aadhaar to jio would be a privacy/data risk...But then again it's reliance jio and most probably they have everybody's data in their hands anway.
The data they receive is same as what you'd be giving them via Voter ID or Driving License etc... It's your Name, Photo, Address, communication details, nothing more than that. The Biometric is a means of authentication to UIDAI servers, basically your approval to let them access that data for that one-time only. They cannot access it again or update it on their own.

There's one more reason they're hell bent on Aadaar, it ensures you're the actual person who's buying the SIM. No fake IDs involved etc. Biometric authentication ensures that.

Aadhar is not compulsory, recently I ported to Jio from airtel using voter id. In case of aadhar kyc, sim is activated by default, for other kyc, we need to call jio and activate.

I'm planning to move from airtel to jio next week. How long will it take to activate the new network and also get sms, otps?

2-3 days at max. The existing sim will switch off around midnight and the second sim will get activated just then.

Back