MNP: Vodafone to Airtel or Jio?

raksrules

Elite
I have been a Vodafone user for long time and almost have never thought about porting to other operator. But now that I am in Mumbai and work in Navi Mumbai (Airoli), I found Vodafone network to be spotty across many places in my home to office route.
So now I need to change to another operator.

I am confused between Airtel and Jio and inclined more towards Airtel because I have seen most people who have Jio usually own dual sim phones and mostly have a non Jio network with them? Also another reason to change is that my wife also uses Vodafone and last 2 days we went to Mahabaleshwar and the network sucked in our hotel room and many places and it was bad for both of us but if one of us had a different operator, things may have been different.

I am also considering the additional perks that some operators give like access to certain or their own streaming service for free and such.
Last thing, I will be going for Prepaid only as of now, not postpaid.

Any suggestions? I stay in Borivali and travel to Airoli via Company bus for work via ghodbunder road and thane.

I would suggest to try out both SIMs and choose whichever suits you better; as one operator working good for X may not be working good in Y given the location difference. About 4 years back, I was in similar situation and switched out from Vodafone to Airtel.

I switched from Vodafone postpaid to Jio prepaid. Voice quality improved a lot but i saw one weird quirk. When calling from Jio to Airtel, the call would disconnect after every 30-40 minutes for no reason.

I ported from from Vodafone Postpaid to Jio Prepaid as I was tired of crappy data speeds on Voda. For the last year it was mostly okay but Jio is slowing down quite a bit as well.

I would suggest getting a couple of cheapo SIMs on Airtel and Jio and check the coverage in your usual haunts before going for the MNP route.

I have been a Vodafone user for long time and almost have never thought about porting to other operator. But now that I am in Mumbai and work in Navi Mumbai (Airoli), I found Vodafone network to be spotty across many places in my home to office route.

I am confused between Airtel and Jio and inclined more towards Airtel because I have seen most people who have Jio usually own dual sim phones and mostly have a non Jio network with them? Also another reason to change is that my wife also uses Vodafone and last 2 days we went to Mahabaleshwar and the network sucked in our hotel room and many places and it was bad for both of us but if one of us had a different operator, things may have been different.

I am also considering the additional perks that some operators give like access to certain or their own streaming service for free and such.

Any suggestions? I stay in Borivali and travel to Airoli via Company bus for work via ghodbunder road and thane.
I was also a very loyal Mumbai Vodafone customer for 2 decades until last yr their shitty services forced me to move to Airtel. And guess what, its a bliss feeling now.
I also have Jio as secondary no. (backup) but only carry Airtel wherever I go. Moving to either of them will be good, choose accordingly.

I was also a very loyal Mumbai Vodafone customer for 2 decades until last yr their shitty services forced me to move to Airtel. And guess what, its a bliss feeling now.
Heh funny, airtel is big in bangalore but i've always heard people in bombay on voda. Things are changing these days.

Same issue bro. Travelling between home to office and return takes 4+ hrs for me and voda internet sucks big time. Now a days getting very pathetic speeds on their 4G RED plan. Planning to switch to Airtel.

I would suggest you to port your number jio instead & below are the reasons you need to know:
1.Jio having wide network all over India.
2.Jion internet speed quite well as compared with others mobile service providers.
3.You won't be able to call with your unlimited call pack If you want to call to any bank customer care number but if you have jio then you can call to any bank customer care number without charge a single penny.
4. Jio's recharge plans having quite reasonable prices as compared with other service providers.

So after opening this thread back in January 2020, I went for Airtel. But then I quickly discovered that my US Bought Verizon iPhone 6S isn't fully compatible with Airtel 4G. This forced me to use an old iPhone 5S that I had which worked fine for me.
But then my dad's iphone 5S developed problems and I had to give him my 5S and I went back to my 6S.
Ported back to Vodafone and now 4G works fine.

Ported back to vodafone from airtel due to network issues :( filled a online form on vi website a executive came with the simcard at the doorstep and mnp is done :)

so ported from voda to airtel - prepaid both ways. i ave raised the request
whats a valid document for kyc? will a DL do?
will then port airtel prepaid to postpaid and add to family plan already existing.

Bumping again. As I had mentioned before, I can only use Vi with my 6S, this is going to change with a new phone coming soon. So now again same query, airtel or Jio? It will be prepaid.

Jio seems to be getting congested with many low ARPU users migrating to Jio while high paying ones staying on VI or Airtel.
Again it would depend on your locality and route.
Right now Airtel has improved, can't say the same about data speeds in my case.
Also Airtel is about balance- speeds are average, network coverage is good.

Back