Mobile computing options: Opinions?

cranky

Skilled
Warning: long post! This is a question on opinions about mobile computing and touches upon and concerns laptops, tablets and mobile phones in some way.

Till about the first few months of 2012 I was content to use just a desktop computer or three for all my needs - a gaming PC, a Browsing PC (sharing one monitor) and a HTPC. My office provided me with a laptop and I would do 'work' stuff on it, as my PCs were sufficient.

I added a media server to take care of my burgeoning storage needs, and my consumption pattern changed slightly so I began boosting my network capabilities. Once back in Calcutta I added an Asus laptop to the arsenal and sold off my browsing machine. Also I started consuming some media on my Android phone and have quite liked it except my phone is quite a dog.

Now I am reaching the point where my laptop is being sold because it is also a dog - actually screen quality is terrible as is the usability (it's a terrible laptop!) and I need to decide on the best strategy to maximise my mobile computing power and flexibility. And at the outset, I've used Macintosh for a long time, and I'm not investing in it. Much more comfortable in the Windows/Android mixed environment (so please spare me the iPleading). I'm trying to figure out what combination of devices best suit my needs.

My usage pattern is mainly content consumption (a little video, but mostly technical documents) and creation (technical documents primarily). I do a lot of audio design work (mostly visual, sometimes circuit design) for which I need a mouse and keyboard, along with a high resolution screen. I don't think I need much CPU grunt at all, but a good GPU for gaming will be a good inclusion. I also write a lot - on forums and otherwise, and laptops are actually quite terrible for that specific task because of the odd posture. However it may be that tablets are worse, I don't know.I'm open to this being either.

Minimum screen resolution is 1600x or 1920x, if possible higher. I do know that this is possible and practical with some larger tablets. I also know that some now come with 2048x screens at less than half the cost of an iPad - and with Indian warranty, which is pretty darn good and pretty darn cheap (unless there are deal-breakers I don't know about). Then there are laptop which do offer good screens - the Dell Inspiron TurboR has a 14" 1600 screen and the 15" a 1920x, both should be quite a good bet. Again, a laptop and tablet are both usable here.

Other things on the wishlist are a backlit keyboard, decent HID behaviour (specially touchpad/touchscreen) and properly usable sound. My Asus laptop has none of these, a shitty screen, a dog-slow hard drive and a network card from the stone age. I did upgrade the last two items but now even they are failing to cover up the machine's glaringly poor design.

Storage is an issue - the phone/tablet/phablet (if any) *needs* to have a card slot. This is non-negotiable. Thus the upcoming HTC One and all Windows Phone options are non-starters. The laptop (if one is recommended) can have no disk for all I care, as my OCZ Vertex4 will be grafted into it immediately.

As far as a phone goes, I'm OK if all I can do is calls/SMS and the very occasional Whatsapp or surfing. I do that from my current phone but if some of the tasks can be repurposed into the phone I wouldn't mind a two-device setup with a phone/phablet and a laptop. Portability is less of an issue than usability. A ginormously bulky laptop is difficult to balance, for example.

I have eliminated the Glexy3 and Glexy4 from my choices as I'm not keen on another plastic phone. This unfortunately leaves me with the Xperia Z as my only choice, and I hear the screen and sound quality on that one is not good enough for its princely price. Hence the confusion.

I have to choose between two high-end devices (phone + laptop OR phone + tablet) and three devices of which only one is high-end (phone + tablet + laptop). My total budget is ~75-80K, and my shortlisted options are:

1. Ainol Spark Retina tablet + Dell HD+/FHD laptop, keeping my Xperia Mini Pro as 'just' a phone.

2. Sony Xperia Z (insert favorite phone here) for phablet + Dell HD+/FHD laptop.

I can't think of anything further than these two and I would appreciate any help out of this hole.

The third option, though extremely radical, is that I go back to a small desktop for all content creation work (which would be a *lot* cheaper than that Dell), and buy a tablet for passive consumption and browsing, or even a really fancy phone/phablet. This saves a ton of money and gives me portability and freedom, without killing the experience as much as shoddy laptops tend to do.

Let me tell you a phone is no good for browsing on a regular basis. Yes its fine for occasional browsing or checking mail quickly but that is about it. Before folks come hounding me that this is not true, I recently got an xperia z which is one of the better devices for this purpose and I can't browse on it for more than 10-15 minutes. It just feels to restrictive - input options are slow thanks to the touch screen keyboard and one has to pinch zoom all the time to read text properly. After a while, I just end up picking up my laptop than enduring the mobile browsing torture.

Thanks S, and I kind of agree but there are some apps that are not and will never be on PC. Also, in many ways email eg is much easier on the phone even with my tiny little screen, as the apps are much lighter/better written usually and involve much less data. I much preferred the old FB app which was text only till they disallowed that. If I can get 10 minutes of browsing it'll be OK because for all the important stuff (regardless of whether it's a phone, phablet or tablet) one will have to fire up a bigger screen anyway. I still do a lot of browsing on a 30" screen with Crossfired 6970s, days when the laptop seems to small. Thing is, those days are getting longer and more frequent.

I agree that a phone is a very bad solution for general browsing.
The most I can bring myself to do on my phone is check my GoogleReader (RIP) feed & email/scores.

I always go back to my desktop for general Facebook/TE/redditting.
Also, I'm not sure if getting an Ainol is such a good idea. Have you spent hands on time with one? Looked at reliable long-term usage reviews?

10inch tablets excel as content consumption device . For email it's ok if you have to reply few short mails. I have been using ipad for 2 years and hardly feel any need for laptop or desktop unless I have to make any report or something. Actually for web, fb, videos, Fl etc i prefer the tab. Have made some reports on airport also when it's absolutely urgent but I prefer laptop for that.
As far as phones are concerned I feels if there is a app for anything you want to do then its ok but web on browser kinda suck because of small display.

My usage pattern is mainly content consumption (a little video, but mostly technical documents) and creation (technical documents primarily). I do a lot of audio design work (mostly visual, sometimes circuit design) for which I need a mouse and keyboard, along with a high resolution screen. I don't think I need much CPU grunt at all, but a good GPU for gaming will be a good inclusion. I also write a lot - on forums and otherwise, and laptops are actually quite terrible for that specific task because of the odd posture. However it may be that tablets are worse, I don't know.I'm open to this being either.

Tablets sans a detachable physical keyboard are mainly consumption devices only. It's highly unlikely that a tablet might help you in the kind of tasks/uses you have outlined there. Typing does become a lot easier and faster with tech like Swipe but still nowhere close to the feel of an actual keyboard. The only way a tablet can be a productive replacement for your laptop is through a detachable keyboard/dock. There is also the option of using an external full sized keyboard with a tablet through OTG USB when needed, but that doesn't sound too aesthetic.

Storage is an issue - the phone/tablet/phablet (if any) *needs* to have a card slot. This is non-negotiable. Thus the upcoming HTC One and all Windows Phone options are non-starters. The laptop (if one is recommended) can have no disk for all I care, as my OCZ Vertex4 will be grafted into it immediately.

There are some non-flagship and yet decent Windows Phone devices with an expandable storage option but i guess the bigger issue is juggling between multiple platforms in case you do get an Android tablet.

As far as a phone goes, I'm OK if all I can do is calls/SMS and the very occasional Whatsapp or surfing. I do that from my current phone but if some of the tasks can be repurposed into the phone I wouldn't mind a two-device setup with a phone/phablet and a laptop. Portability is less of an issue than usability. A ginormously bulky laptop is difficult to balance, for example.

As others have pointed out, browsing for extended periods of time is never too comfortable on a phone, even accounting for a larger screen with high resolution. The also holds true for reading. I do browse extensively on my phone and read stuff as well but that is more out of compulsion (being outside home) rather than choice. A desktop wins any day especially when typing stuff. Larger screens on phones have benefited consumption more than actual productivity. The same holds true for 7" tabs.

I have to choose between two high-end devices (phone + laptop OR phone + tablet) and three devices of which only one is high-end (phone + tablet + laptop). My total budget is ~75-80K, and my shortlisted options are:

1. Ainol Spark Retina tablet + Dell HD+/FHD laptop, keeping my Xperia Mini Pro as 'just' a phone.

2. Sony Xperia Z (insert favorite phone here) for phablet + Dell HD+/FHD laptop.

I can't think of anything further than these two and I would appreciate any help out of this hole.

A tablet with a separate keyboard dock looks like the best option. Although, i must say i am not aware of any particular model to speak of in the current scenario (Asus Transformer anyone!). Would fit your browsing as well as typing needs (certainly can't be worse than a laptop), powerful enough hardware, better battery life than laptops and quite portable. The same option is also available across the Windows platform, so it's simply a matter of which ecosystem you are comfortable with.

Thanks for the replies, guys. And the long and helpful reply @eternoMind

@stalker: My biggest gripe with the Ainol is that it's a Chinese product, and not one of the good or recognised ones either. On the plus side it has a one year India warranty and the manufacturer is present in India. There is also a 'guy' in Calcutta who sells these tablets (and others) and offers his personal warranty. I know that neither tells me anything about the device and whether I'll be happy with it, so it's a risk either way.

I am now slightly leaning towards a desktop as a viable content creation and browsing option. The laptop has effectively ruined my back in the last six months because of the low-slung and unergonomic usage position, and maybe I just stick with a cheap tablet in handheld mode for basic surfing and the phone remains unchanged.

I'd still be welcoming new points of view. I'm not buying tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I am the odd man out going by the responses in this thread! :rolleyes:

Ever since I got myself the Lumia 920, the iPad 2 has been lying idle inside the cupboard. I used to take it out during the weekends or during the home trips but did not take it during my last trip home. The iPad is a WiFi only variant so I am forced to either find a suitable hotspot or tether internet from another device.

Coming to the 920, everything from checking and responding to Office mails, watching videos over YouTube, viewing presentations/spreadsheets/Word documents/.pdf, Facebook, Reddit, TE (I prefer my desktop PC for this because moderation tasks is a pain after the recent XenForo switchover), watching 40-min serials on the move, listening to music, GPS navigation (hail Nokia Drive!) etc. I am glad I got myself this device after a long wait - it hasn't disappointed me till date! The only major downside being battery consumption. Too much of YouTube'ing and WhatsApp reduces battery life drastically (I believe the apps. are not optimised and consumes battery life unlike their iOS/Android counterparts) and I am forced to charge during the day. The screen size (4.5") is just perfect for most of the apps. using the IE browser. Some of the activities such as browsing TE and Reddit (for instance) requires a bit of zooming in and out so this may get a bit tiring. I still do respond to many threads from the phone; just that the moderation part takes a bit longer so I don't prefer the phone for that. Never found it tiring or the screen size to be small. Oh and the phone gradually heats up when we do browsing. The best part is, WP8 supports drag and drop just like before and it works flawlessly. Connect the device and drop the contents into the folder. With WP7.5, this wasn't the case and it required Zune to sync the content.

Previously, it used to be my 3+ year old netbook that did most of these tasks (slow and painful at times due to the Atom processor and 2GB RAM) but ever since the 920 came into the scene, the netbook is just the 24x7 download machine. It does nothing else.

Switching from Android to WP8 has its flaws due to the lack of applications and WP8 being a more close-knit ecosystem with minimal customisations offered. It may or may not appeal to you. So I wouldn't suggest you to get a WP8 device outright but you should check out the recent Nokia/HTC devices viz. 920, 820 and the 8X before you make a final call. You will love the build quality of these devices. Btw the 820 has a mSD slot and supports upto 64GB micro SDXC.

Thanks for that gannu. I suspect that given I am able to do most of my email and even this post from a tiny little 3" screen I will be fine with a mobile for app-based internet work (i too find browsing using mobile browsers very painful).

My phone makes it relatively easy to type long emails and replies because of the physical keyboard - a feature that doesn' exist in many phones, and in landscape mode with the keyboard out it is fine for the occasional post or email.

I am still totally undecided and will take a call once the asus laptop has left my house. Hopefully by end of next week. I am still considering not buying a laptop at all, but a tablet for all consumption and a desktop with ergonomic furniture for all creation duty. My 42-year old back is straining with the looking down.

My phone makes it relatively easy to type long emails and replies because of the physical keyboard - a feature that doesn' exist in many phones, and in landscape mode with the keyboard out it is fine for the occasional post or email.

Most devices nowadays have the haptic feedback which gives a small vibration when you press the keys. Ofc this will not give you the comfort of using a physical keypad but close enough. And the 920 had one of the best implementations I've seen on any device till date. Quick and precise vibrations!

My 42-year old back is straining with the looking down.

Since you seem to do a lot of those audio-editing and related content creation work, I'd advise you to get a really comfortable chair with a headrest, adjustable armrests, lumbar support and the likes. It might set you back by say 20~25k but given the kind of work you do, this will pay off in the long run.

@OP: I would suggest the below setup:
1. A light weight laptop with screen size between 11-13 inch (configure per your gaming requirements) - upto 50k
2. A FHD 24 inch monitor+wireless keyboard,mouse - upto - 15k
3. A cheap 4 inch mobile/phablet- upto 10k-15k (since mobile computing gets upgraded within an year useless to spend much here)
4. A tablet will be a waste per your requirements you could manage with a light weight laptop/phablet while on the move or to play cute android games
I have a similar setup for my requirements; the laptop docked in serves as an HTPC and a home workstation, for small travels use my cell and for long trips carry my light weight laptop.

@cranky I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but why don't you pick up one of the newer Windows 8 ultrabooks? Not the usual ones but the ones with tablet functionality built in.

I tried the Lenovo Yoga (both Windows RT with NVidia Tegra and full blown Windows 8 with Core i7/i5) at Reliance recently. I was quite sceptical of it initially, but totally changed my mind once I saw it. You can bend it all the way back and it folds into a tablet along with 3 other positions you can keep it in. Not the most ergonomic of solutions but it was damn light and with full blown Windows, you have total flexibility. It ticks all your other requirements too - Full Windows 8, SSD, nice 1600x900 IPS screen, very nice keyboard, long battery. 10 point multi-touch screen is a bonus. Around Rs 80k

Also, the 11" Windows RT tablet with MS Office was very light @ Rs 40k. A good VFM deal for a person with specific requirements.

There a wide variety of similar, yet different, options from ASUS, Dell, Acer etc. If you have not, I would really request you to give it a shot in the nearest e-Zone/Chroma/Reliance.

I don't think tablets or phones are ready to handle any sort of intensive stuff, except maybe 1080p videos. Even long PDFs won't be that easy to read on phones and tablets, from what users have reported.

Though you can go the 2 device route - tablet/laptop plus phone; like Gannu said, I have realised that even a half-decent phone will prevent you from even looking at your iPad. I'm using a HD7, which cost me a measly 13k and has an (apparently) out-dated Windows 7.5 and I do all my emails, Redditing, news feeds and casual browsing on this whenever I'm even out of my room. I eventually gave the iPad to my mom after it had been lying unused for around 2 months.

So, IMHO, you should get a decent phone for around 10-15k and spend the main money on a good laptop.. maybe something like the ones I have suggested above. Like you also mentioned, when we are on the move, the most portable thing is more than enough to service our needs for that time. And then we are going to be with our main system soon, something an iPad or any other tablet cannot replace, at least not till now. :)

I am using ativ 500t from Samsung
Am really happy that I don't need a tablet anymore
All office work can be done on it and detach it for tablet use
Awesome usability and productivity

How about a X220? Its light and has a nice IPS screen, nice keyboard and you can hook up a monitor when you need the extra resolution

I for one am not really convinced about the quality of the Chinese tablets, they start off with lot of things to get people aboard and silently switch out components later. I faced this with my Ainol 7 when the 2nd tab I got had a MVA instead of IPS screen

I am using ativ 500t from Samsung
Am really happy that I don't need a tablet anymore
All office work can be done on it and detach it for tablet use
Awesome usability and productivity

How much did that cost you? And is the Atom up to it? I have a PC with a second-gen Atom N2800 + mSATA SSD as a bedroom music player and my sense is that even for the very limited duty I have put it to, the CPU is pretty much pushed to its limits.

There is also the small part of software upgrades. Not sure if the Ainols will get an upgrade for at least a couple of next Android iterations. So all that hardware power is a no-go without accompanying OS upgrades. In any case, with the launch of Nexus 7 officially, if you ever do get a tablet that's the one to get. Official warranty and a clear upgrade path; that pretty much seals the deal. The Nexus tabs also fair better than Chinese alternatives when it comes to developer community support, if that's something you like getting into.

Also, wasn't the main focus on a mobile computing solution that could act as a decent replacement for a desktop for on-the-go productive purposes? Accounting for a bad back and your preference for a desktop for productive tasks, is the focus more towards a computing solution that allows mobility within home premises? If so, then a phablet/tablet+desktop combo looks good. If otherwise, a tablet/laptop hybrid suits more.

I too find it comfortable to type on my Atrix but it does get to me after a while; even though vibration feedback and Swipe make typing quite a pleasure. In short, it can't match the feel of a physical keyboard, even the ones like in your current phone. You have try out typing on one of those phablets/large phones to decide if it's time to dump the Xperia.

Also, have you completely ruled out a tablet with a detachable keyboard? I see a couple of other recommendations on the thread for the same but both are Windows based. Similarly specced Android tablets are also an option but not sure of their availability in India. I recollect two members owning the Transformer. @Lord Nemesis and @JayMathers are the two members IIRC.

Jay sold his Trf. Pad. Infinity few days later citing issues with battery or something. I recall that he had mentioned it somewhere on the forums or had a sale thread.

@eternoMind, I haven't ruled out anything.

The more I think about it keeping the Xperia for mobile duty and using a desktop for productivity seem to be the way to go. What is painful on the mini is browsing and any prolonged viewing on the screen. My basic need is 'home-roam' mobility, which basically will be browsing, a bit of Whatsapp and some very casual content consumption. A keyboard will be a huge bonus, so a tablet+keyboard - even if hardwired - is absolutely fine with me.

I'm aware of the issues with Chinese tablets in terms of updates (which frankly might never happen) and basic usability. On the former, I don't really care as much. My Xperia has a 4.0 update available which I haven't even bothered with, I'm quite settled with the way the phone is except for the speed which has dropped like a rock, and the screen that is good for a squirrel. On the latter, it is my major worry and the reason why I'm thinking hard about that part of my needs. A Netbook will be sufficient in terms of processing power - but the form factor of any laptop is killing my back so that's not an option. All I need are Remote Desktop ability and ability to stream media, apart from being able to house a 32GB micro SD loaded up with FLAC files and operate some basic media application (ES File Explorer, MX Player, Internet radio and Poweramp). I'm kind of OS-agnostic if I were to be truthful but I would like to have no more than two operating systems in the house at any point in time.

My laptop was bought because when I landed up in Calcutta I wouldn't have access to a desktop for at least three months due to home renovations. I bought a gaming-capable laptop for that very reason and though it has served me well it has not been the nicest relationship because of ergonomics. I came from a MBP, and what struck me was how badly companies like Asus make laptops, just cramming in hardware without thinking about basic usability. The touchpad, for example, is the poorest I have ever come across in any laptop - multitouch is either not working, or interpreting commands wrongly, and the surface gets sticky and unusable after two minutes. Tapping the pad is a lottery, may or may not work, or may double-tap when you tap once. The speakers are weaker than ants' mating call. There are two power lights, for some strange reason. The screen looks like the one I had in a 1996 monochrome MacBook - or maybe that was actually better. Unfortunately I have great distaste for MacOS (and most of my applications and files will not work on a Mac) so it's never going to be in my home.

I'm fairly confident that Asian companies cannot design hardware for nuts (and this goes for the Asus/Google tablet as well). Given that, I see no reason to blow a ton of cash on pricey Samsungs and so on. My worry is that cheaper Chinese stuff will be even worse, so maybe a demo is in order.

Now that time has passed and my setup is complete, it is time to move to a better form of home roam.

My laptop was bought because when I landed up in Calcutta I wouldn't have access to a desktop for at least three months due to home renovations. I bought a gaming-capable laptop for that very reason and though it has served me well it has not been the nicest relationship because of ergonomics. I came from a MBP, and what struck me was how badly companies like Asus make laptops, just cramming in hardware without thinking about basic usability. The touchpad, for example, is the poorest I have ever come across in any laptop - multitouch is either not working, or interpreting commands wrongly, and the surface gets sticky and unusable after two minutes. Tapping the pad is a lottery, may or may not work, or may double-tap when you tap once. The speakers are weaker than ants' mating call. There are two power lights, for some strange reason. The screen looks like the one I had in a 1996 monochrome MacBook - or maybe that was actually better. Unfortunately I have great distaste for MacOS (and most of my applications and files will not work on a Mac) so it's never going to be in my home.

I'm fairly confident that Asian companies cannot design hardware for nuts (and this goes for the Asus/Google tablet as well). Given that, I see no reason to blow a ton of cash on pricey Samsungs and so on. My worry is that cheaper Chinese stuff will be even worse, so maybe a demo is in order.

Now that time has passed and my setup is complete, it is time to move to a better form of home roam.

I really think you should check out Lenovo tablets and laptops. If you still have doubts about the build quality, I will refer you to their India Brand Manager - @sunny27 :p

Back