PC Peripherals Modus Cheating Operandi in Lamington Road

Friends, beware of business trick followed by computer hardware shops in Lamington road. For best deal you visit various shops and get quotations for a particular combo of Processor & Motherboard. I am referring to assembled PC. You then finalize which shop to purchase from looking at the quotations.
You go to the marked shop and place your order. They ask an advance payment of Rs 1000/- for registration of processor !! . Ever heard this ? This is followed by shop named Sun Sign Computers.
From here on the business trick begins. They ask you the work profile of you pc. They come out with suggestion of another Processor + Motherboard combination giving the best features of the same and how it would be better than the combo you had ordered.
Now since you are sure they are offering the best price and price being less than the price for earlier combination, you would surely not go back to other shops to again get quotations for this new combo. Hence you agree for this new combination.
Here is where they cheat you.
Actually the processor and mother combo is much cheaper than the your earlier combination. There is a difference of Rs 2000-3000 !!
You happily settle and come out with your PC. But when you just happen to crosscheck the prices later, you realize you have been royally fooled.
Pls spread this modus operandi. I and many of my friends had this experience with Sun Sign Computers and Maccann Infosys.

I don't understand how we will fall prey for this?! Why are we going to buy stuff at random and that too on a suggestion of a computer shop guy?
You would have already worked out your specs and suggestive pricing, before heading out.
Maybe this experience will wisen you up to research before hand.

This is no modus operandy. If you are so naive that you dont understand the difference between an i3, i5 or i7 processor and which generation are more latest then it's obvious that someone would take advantage of you.

After all you were the one to accept the offer. So, even if you are getting that combo for free even then you don't have the right to say anything.
Let it be a lesson to you. Next time use google and do some research before making such an investment.

Basically, I am not a techno guy, I should have done basic homework before heading out. I had decided on my specs of core i5 but got carried away by the shopkeeper to go for AMD for video editing. Should have stuck to the predecided config. Its a lesson which I have learnt and shared in the forum for benefit of all. Thanks

I don't understand how we will fall prey for this?! Why are we going to buy stuff at random and that too on a suggestion of a computer shop guy?
You would have already worked out your specs and suggestive pricing, before heading out.
Maybe this experience will wisen you up to research before hand.

This is no modus operandy. If you are so naive that you dont understand the difference between an i3, i5 or i7 processor and which generation are more latest then it's obvious that someone would take advantage of you.

After all you were the one to accept the offer. So, even if you are getting that combo for free even then you don't have the right to say anything.
Let it be a lesson to you. Next time use google and do some research before making such an investment.

Agreed Boss !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Which processor + mobo combo? What is the price at which they sold you?

Even for buying a mouse I google a lot and ask for suggestions but you just went ahead to buy before asking for any suggestions and got cheated.
Yes, Which processor + mobo combo? What is the price at which they sold you?

Even for buying a mouse I google a lot and ask for suggestions but you just went ahead to buy before asking for any suggestions and got cheated.

Yes Eddy I admire the your research style and inspired by it.I had specifications for core i5 which was the minimum config for a video editing application. corei5 5670 + giga h81 was offered to me for 13750. But ended up buying AMD Phenom II X2 560 + Gigabyte 78LMT USB 3.0 for 12k. I had quotations for four other shops but this shops' ka quotation was the lowest, hence selected this shop and ordered for core i5 combo given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Eddy I admire the your research style and inspired by it.I had specifications for core i5 which was the minimum config for a video editing application. corei5 5670 + giga h81 was offered to me for 13750. But ended up buying AMD Phenom II X2 560 + Gigabyte 78LMT USB 3.0 for 12k. I had quotations for four other shops but this shops' ka quotation was the lowest, hence selected this shop and ordered for core i5 combo given.

The shopkeeper convinced you to buy a Phenom II X2?! Good god! If the shopkeeper suggested something, you should have immediately searched for it on your phone at least. I'm not sure what kind of shop this is but you should go there and make a noise about being fooled and maybe, just maybe they might give in and give you a good replacement. It's very unlikely though.

AMD Phenom II X2 560 + Gigabyte 78LMT USB 3.0 vs. Core i5 4670 + Gigabyte H81M-S1

Shit How can anyone with sane mind go with AMD Phenom II X2?
Go and return the Combo and get the i5 +H81M buddy.

corei5 5670 + giga h81 was offered to me for 13750. But ended up buying AMD Phenom II X2 560 + Gigabyte 78LMT USB 3.0 for 12k.

May God bless you !

Return that combo and demand refund. Even if he gives you 10k back, take it and consider it as a lesson.

We all know damn well those shady ****s at those shops will never take back products once it comes out of their shops. OP, you just learned a very expensive lesson.

If those shopkeepers suggest you something, you just open net in front of them and search for reviews and price then and there

That's an expensive mistake there. You see AMD combo that he have suggested is quite old/obsolete and gets beaten in every benchmark out there vs an i5 processor.
I would suggest that you go to the shopkeeper and tell him that this combo is taking a lot of unexpected time in video editing and other stuff.After this happened I checked the benchmarks and other forums. They are all suggesting me an i5 only and told me that the amd processor is actually obsolete and doesn't support many feature set like avx that are needed for fast video processing. Also, this processor is quite slow in comparison to i5 processor in question as opposed to what the shopkeeper have claimed.
Just open an online site and show him the benchmarks(If he insists).
Make a convincing reply. Tell him that you are new to computers and you trusted to not provide obsolete components.My friend who is in this field for a long time is also saying how can anyone sell an obsolete combo for video processing. He told me that, It's actually the 8 core amd 8320 processor that is good for video editing not an amd phenom.

Then maybe he might agree to you. As he also know that he have actually cheated you into using an obsolete processor.

^ That shopkeeper exactly knew what he was doing. Unless he went with a police constable or goonda, he'll not get his money back from shopkeeper. Hell, in this scenario, even having a constable beside you ,won't lead to anything. Im sorry OP got robbed. But then, this isn't a cheating case in the first place.

Shopkeeper selling you i5 and giving you xenon processor is cheating.
Shopkeeper suggesting you xenon and op buying it over i5 is not cheating.

OP kick the hell of that shop. You have been handed-over an age old technology. If it was x6 phenom or the never FX octa then it was ok but you go that combo for 12k??? Dude its available in very less single digit price.
Next time always shop by having most of the prices in mind.

And well you should have atleast created a thread here for getting suggestions and to ship from.

Lesson learnt the hard way.

12-13 yrs back same shit use to happen to we friend so we use to come back home and work on that suggested combo, discuss and then make our minds and be focused and but only what we really needed rather than getting carried away by idiots. So homework is always important and some extra work/knowledge as well.

This is the standard operating procedure for any PC shop in India regardless of the location.Once they get the idea that you are a non techie they will offload the crappiest stuff they have down your throat.

But seriously a Phenom II X2!!!!!!!!
Did he have to dig it out of a grave???

I even doubt if the offered product is brand new....must be good used one. Worse, must be of that shopkeeper and he will now upgrade using OPs money.

Also some shops show an sealed original product but while assembling the pc, the swap out the original part and replace it with some old parts they have lying around if they find out you're an computer noob.

This is the standard operating procedure for any PC shop in India regardless of the location.Once they get the idea that you are a non techie they will offload the crappiest stuff they have down your throat.
5 stars to this...
Because in the early days of my PC Gaming(like in 2000) I faced similar situations...

even if he(shopkeeper) tried to suggest you an alternative , the least you can do is a google search and verify those claims.

believe it or not, a shopkeeper is there to do sales, he will try to pitch you an item which isn't clearing off his godown.

so next time, dont show them any money , before you get all items in hand, receive a proper VAT paid bill, with checks done that the boxes you received are not tampered with.

if the assembly is to be done at the shop. get it checked, if the system boots up normally.

if you feel the shopkeeper is trying to trap you, simply walk away.

don't carry bundles of cash along , instead, act like if he could get the payment done via cards, if he suggests to pay cash since card payments might need to pay some % more, you get a perfect excuse to walk away.

Back