PC Peripherals Modus Cheating Operandi in Lamington Road

Is this for reals? Reals Reals?

I've heard people selling it for a 1k-2k more, Giving a quote and adding VAT later. Claiming Dual core processor as the fastest one and all the Quad core are just starters and dual cores being the top end etc

This is awesome. No one does such thing here at CTC atleast.

Registration Fees.. Is that a preorder for a flagship.. WTFF

Go to the police, register an FIR for cheating, contact a few newspapers inform them of this practice, and also send him a legal notice. Don't let shits like this get away. I know the type you are talking about and they need to be taught a lesson.

Go to the police, register an FIR for cheating, contact a few newspapers inform them of this practice, and also send him a legal notice. Don't let shits like this get away. I know the type you are talking about and they need to be taught a lesson.
Police won't do anything. There is nothing illegal in what the shopkeeper did. Although, it was ethically wrong.

Newspapers are crap. No one would be interested. Everyone knows this. The OP got fooled because he didn't know anything about computers. While it is always assumed that if you are going for something like this. You would always do some research and only then buy. Otherwise you would ask an experienced friend to help you out.

Firstly, Sun Sign is the shop that tried selling me i7 2600K with Dynet RAMs way back in 2012/13. After that, the shop is on my avoid list. Have nothing concrete on the other shop - but have heard bad stuff about them as well with respect to selling tactics.

Coming to your current scenario - that tactic is true for all stuff, not just computers - even mobiles. Its psychology. When you are purchasing anything, ensure you have done some checks on the same product - you should not be at the receiving end.

I don't think you can return the items now, but try to salvage what best possible.

As for the replacement of parts - whatever you buy from Lamington/any so called computer 'engineer', ensure that the product does not have any OEM parts. One of the computers in my office has an OEM HDD, brought from a computer business in Andheri near my office, and henceforth I buy only from Prime or Mahavir at LR. And I check the same. Another computer vendor told me that I should not buy from LR because of this and I told him flat out that I only deal with people whom I know. His cut for the same system would be 30% higher.[DOUBLEPOST=1450635624][/DOUBLEPOST]And I forgot the best - I don't remember the exact name of the shop, but I was looking for 3x Dell 3446 (i3/4GB/500GB/DOS/2GB-GPU) laptops for my office. One shop gave me quotes as low as 25K per piece, which later turned out to be Dell 3446 equivalents with Celeron. His argument - Those are i3 based Celerons :p

Is this for reals? Reals Reals?

I've heard people selling it for a 1k-2k more, Giving a quote and adding VAT later. Claiming Dual core processor as the fastest one and all the Quad core are just starters and dual cores being the top end etc

This is awesome. No one does such thing here at CTC atleast.

Registration Fees.. Is that a preorder for a flagship.. WTFF
It happens all the time at CTC. Just go with a friend whos computer noob and let him talk

I feel for you, OP. Sorry that you got cheated. Like some others have suggested, you should try exchanging the items. I think the suggestion of trying to explain things (the de-merits) first in a calm manner, is a good one. You can always create a scene/ruckus later, if this method fails. Also, bringing in the authorities, if you wish to, can be done later as well. You could also ask around on consumer law forums to gauge if you have locus standi. While you have willingly purchased one item over the other, there is also the fact that the seller misrepresented the performance/quality of the item he sold. So you may very well have grounds for a legal complaint. Plus, if there are other friends who have had a similar experience with the store, I would strongly suggest going as a group & see how things pan.

Unfortunately, the sad reality is that you just cannot trust salesman anywhere - be it groceries or electronics. LR is, in fact, pretty notorious for shady practices. So you should always, always arm yourself with knowledge of what products are the best in category & budget (or at least take someone along with the necessary know-how), what discounts can be reasonably expected, thoroughly check the package to see if the seal has been tampered, &/or for pricing, warranty, serial nos. etc., find out beforehand which sellers can be trusted.

The first time that I purchased something from Lamington Road, was when I bought a laptop. I knew that the one I wanted to buy was in the range of 30k to 32k. I asked around in a few shops & was met with similar quotes. Imagine my surprise when one shop offered me the same for 10k less. I asked to see the laptop & could make out that the fit & finish was slightly lacking. {My wife who had accompanied me agreed about the quality as well as about the deal being too good to be true. I bring that up here to suggest that it's always a good idea to take someone along who will help you rationalize, even if they are not necessarily tech-savvy}. The seller that I finally purchased from told me that these discounted ones were "custom-made" laptops being sold off as originals. This is just to highlight the extent of cheating that can happen at LR.

Another time, I was being passed on RAM for more than the printed MRP, though the price was in line with the prevailing market price. I can only assume that he had some earlier stock. Luckily, because I checked the package in-store, I could get a further discount.

But such are the things you need to be mindful of. It's extra effort, I know .... but it's necessary. Tbh, I now buy mostly online to avoid such situations. (Not to say that online is all hunky dory). Probably, that is something you should consider as well? Hope you come across some sort of satisfactory resolution. Good luck.

This is the equivalent of going to a BMW showroom and returning with a Reva after paying the same amount.
The shopkeeper is obviously a scumbag but in a world where everyone's out to make money by hook or by crook it's your responsibility to be more careful.

Last edited:
They ask you the work profile of you pc. They come out with suggestion of another Processor + Motherboard combination giving the best features of the same and how it would be better than the combo you had ordered.
Now since you are sure they are offering the best price and price being less than the price for earlier combination, you would surely not go back to other shops to again get quotations for this new combo. Hence you agree for this new combination.

A newbie problems. Its not something new. Even i've been there and done that when I first started out.
Here is where they cheat you.
Actually the processor and mother
combo is much cheaper than the your
earlier combination.
I don't understand the "cheating" part. It sounds more like "just tricking another customer" to me which is just how a typical business works.
If this is cheating then all the computer hardware stores in my state should be closed down by the police and the employees/owners arrested and jailed. Not kidding.
Basically, I am not a techno guy, I
should have done basic homework
before heading out.
There you go.
They ask an advance payment of Rs 1000/- for registration of processor !! . Ever heard this ?
^this is weird though. I've never come across or heard of it. Most likely they want guaranteed sales even before making you make the full payment or force you to give up the 1000rs.
But i do know that some shops in Nehru Place, Delhi dont always sell only the processor/motherboard alone. They come only as a combo.

he cost you money, so it's only fair that you return the favour.
take some friends and go damage his shop/stock and run away!
give the a-hole a taste of karma.

I recently had to purchase a PC urgently so went to the local market. Price quoted was in line with online prices and the shopkeeper was an acquaintance of an acquaintance. After everything was discussed I asked for the bill and he told me that VAT will have to be paid separately. I was furious but since my brother needed the PC urgently I had to go ahead with the purchase. The ordeal just didn't end there. One of the RAM sticks didn't work, so I asked him to replace it. He straightaway refused and asked me to contact Corsair directly. I did that and they told me that I would get the replacement in 1-2 weeks. I contacted some high-ups in Corsair and even they said that this is normal protocol. So I finally managed to convince the local distributor of Corsair to help me and he finally got me the replacement but even there I had to end up paying another 100 bucks. I was so damn infuriated but my brother was leaving the country in a few days so I had to bear this bullshit. The consumers in this country are at the mercy of god. Nothing is gonna change. Online sales managed to bring the local prices down, but then the service has gone down the drain. Amarbir/Lynx was the only good shop in Chandigarh but he also closed down his business because of dwindling margins/sales.

Amarbir/Lynx was the only good shop in Chandigarh but he also closed down his business because of dwindling margins/sales.

Lol And Why Do You Think He Went Out Of Business In The First Place?
The Guy Was Good Only In His Initial Days And Local Deals. His "Rep" Online (If He Ever Had One Lol) Quickly Went Down The Drain And He Dried Up. He Even Deleted Negative Feedback Posted On His Site By His Customers. Amarbir Is A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing.

Lol And Why Do You Think He Went Out Of Business In The First Place?
The Guy Was Good Only In His Initial Days And Local Deals. His "Rep" Online (If He Ever Had One Lol) Quickly Went Down The Drain And He Dried Up. He Even Deleted Negative Feedback Posted On His Site By His Customers. Amarbir Is A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing.
His only issues were that he was sloppy in shipping. All his local customers were very happy and many online customers were too. He just took too many product catalogs on too quickly. Also his ego didn't help either as his temper would flare very quickly when challenged online. Apart from these issues, his conduct was ethical and pricing always very good. For a small city like Chandigarh, he was kinda the only good source for high end hardware.

Back