Monitors Monitor buying advice < 10k

Flash!

Vroooomm...
Disciple
I guess, my ViewSonic's 17” VA1716w monitor has died, as i've heard a short explosive sound along with the burning smell and the monitor abruptly powered down with no signs of display.

1. Budget?
<10k

2. Display type and size?
1080p. Above 21"

3. What will the TV/monitor be used for primarily?
Browsing, Gaming and watching movies.

4. Types and number of ports required?
I've GTX1050, so HDMI is preferable, but fine with DP/VGA ports too as i've the adapters handy.

5. Preferred choice of brand?
None, in particular.

6. Any TV/monitor in consideration?
LG 22MP68VQ-P, but others are also fine.

7. Any other info that you want to share.
Most of the e-shopping sites lists the price >9k, but in Paytm it'll come around ~8k because of the cashback. Tried searching there, but Paytm lists 2 versions of these monitors.
Capture.JPG
Aren't these are same?
Buy 22mp68vq-p online @Paytmmall.com

I guess, my ViewSonic's 17” VA1716w monitor has died, as i've heard a short explosive sound along with the burning smell and the monitor abruptly powered down with no signs of display.

1. Budget?
<10k

2. Display type and size?
1080p. Above 21"

3. What will the TV/monitor be used for primarily?
Browsing, Gaming and watching movies.

4. Types and number of ports required?
I've GTX1050, so HDMI is preferable, but fine with DP/VGA ports too as i've the adapters handy.

5. Preferred choice of brand?
None, in particular.

6. Any TV/monitor in consideration?
LG 22MP68VQ-P, but others are also fine.

7. Any other info that you want to share.
Most of the e-shopping sites lists the price >9k, but in Paytm it'll come around ~8k because of the cashback. Tried searching there, but Paytm lists 2 versions of these monitors.
View attachment 74354
Aren't these are same?
Buy 22mp68vq-p online @Paytmmall.com
Have two of these monitors. Work fine.
They're same. Get the one cheaper after CB.

Here, there are local monitor repairing shops, which repair the monitor at 300-500 INR. You can try for that, if you don't want to invest your money in a new monitor, and want to revive the old one. I have a few CRT monitors, and one of them did blew up like yours, with smoke. I got it repaired for 300 Rs.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Before buying one, I've decided to check whether my good old monitor is truly dead. So, I've given it to a local computer shop/service center and they're checking it.

After a month and constant phone calls/weekly visits to the shop, the repair guy said some chip is gone inside (not sure, whether he's bluffing or not as i haven't seen a mark/indication that the monitor has been opened) and need some more time to check. I'm going to trusting them hereafter, and instead invest the repair cost to a new monitor as my 17"monitor is ~10 yrs old.

I'm selected the below monitors, and also confused at the same time.
1. Samsung 23.6 inch Curved Full HD LED Backlit Monitor (LC24F390FHWXXL) - VA Panel. ₹10,390 - Big screen, but not sure whether the curved is really a gimmick.
2. BenQ 23.8 inch Full HD LED Backlit Monitor (GW2470HL) ₹10,001 - Big screen, but not sure whether Benq is trustable. Also i see GW2470H & GW2470ML - what's the difference between these?
3. LG 22 inch Full HD LED Backlit IPS Panel Monitor (22MP68VQ) - IPS ₹9,950 - Everyone's favorite monitor, but smaller screen compared to other two.

Can you please advise on selecting one?

Did you just show it to one repair shop? If you want, you can try and show it to another and see what they say.

But yes, if it's been too much mental trouble for you, and you don't want to go through it again, it's better to go for a new monitor, and have peace of mind. I know how these shops can be... its just luck if you get a shop which will do the job nicely, and not take you for a ride, without even doing the work properly. I don't mind giving a few bucks extra, if they do the job properly... but if they don't even do that, and try to just fool you, and try to charge you for something which isn't the problem, then yes, it's better to leave it.

So, yes, it's better to invest in a new monitor. I hope you find a good one. Good luck :). Please post which one you got, and how is it... because sometime in the future, I will also have to go for a LED monitor, and I will also be looking for monitors in the price range you are looking for.

After a month and constant phone calls/weekly visits to the shop, the repair guy said some chip is gone inside (not sure, whether he's bluffing or not as i haven't seen a mark/indication that the monitor has been opened) and need some more time to check. I'm going to trusting them hereafter, and instead invest the repair cost to a new monitor as my 17"monitor is ~10 yrs old.

I'm selected the below monitors, and also confused at the same time.
1. Samsung 23.6 inch Curved Full HD LED Backlit Monitor (LC24F390FHWXXL) - VA Panel. ₹10,390 - Big screen, but not sure whether the curved is really a gimmick.
2. BenQ 23.8 inch Full HD LED Backlit Monitor (GW2470HL) ₹10,001 - Big screen, but not sure whether Benq is trustable. Also i see GW2470H & GW2470ML - what's the difference between these?
3. LG 22 inch Full HD LED Backlit IPS Panel Monitor (22MP68VQ) - IPS ₹9,950 - Everyone's favorite monitor, but smaller screen compared to other two.

Can you please advise on selecting one?
The LG is great. What will you do with 2 inches more screen if all 23.6 inches of it is shit. Another alternative is HP 22es. Both are great monitors. LG has DVI, HDMI & VGA. HP only has HDMI & VGA. Mostly comes down to what look your prefer silver or black. I have two of both.

Did you just show it to one repair shop? If you want, you can try and show it to another and see what they say.

But yes, if it's been too much mental trouble for you, and you don't want to go through it again, it's better to go for a new monitor, and have peace of mind. I know how these shops can be... its just luck if you get a shop which will do the job nicely, and not take you for a ride, without even doing the work properly. I don't mind giving a few bucks extra, if they do the job properly... but if they don't even do that, and try to just fool you, and try to charge you for something which isn't the problem, then yes, it's better to leave it.

So, yes, it's better to invest in a new monitor. I hope you find a good one. Good luck :). Please post which one you got, and how is it... because sometime in the future, I will also have to go for a LED monitor, and I will also be looking for monitors in the price range you are looking for.

Once, the guy from the repair shop told, problem is with IC related to power and he can convert the normal plug type (inbuilt wire which connects to main supply) to laptop type (i.e., you have to buy a adaptor which connects the monitor and the main supply), and it will cost 950/- (excluding the labor charge). Surely, he will put some 500/- charge and make it to 1500/-. That's why i thought it's better to invest this 1.5k in a new monitor, rather than spending on a 10 yr old monitor. For this whole time, i'm using my Smart TV as an interim monitor, and i don't want to wait 1 more month and pay 1.5k to the guy.

Currently, my options are the Samsung 24" one and the LG ~22" one, and you can check the differences here : https://www.productchart.co.uk/monitors/12938_vs_13009

As far as i researched, LG seems to be the good one as mentioned by @Party Monger above, because of its IPS display and the connectivity options. Also the LG has refresh rate of 75hz, compared to 60hz of samsung one, and also has On-screen control software with various utilities, which is proprietary to LG. You can check this video -
[DOUBLEPOST=1524569755][/DOUBLEPOST]
After much thought, i ordered LG 22MP6VQ today. :)

Last edited:
Yes, you were quite correct to go for a new monitor. I got my CRT monitors repaired each for 300 Rs, so that was a profitable thing for me, but in your case, it was best to go for a new monitor.

Congrats for your new monitor. Enjoy it, and I hope it serves you well :). Thanks for sharing.

Yes, you were quite correct to go for a new monitor. I got my CRT monitors repaired each for 300 Rs, so that was a profitable thing for me, but in your case, it was best to go for a new monitor.

Congrats for your new monitor. Enjoy it, and I hope it serves you well :). Thanks for sharing.
Sure. If you have any future plans, buy it from Paytm as they give 14% cashback (15% cashback if you buy via Paytm mall) on the purchase. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Although to be honest and frank, I am not into digital transactions yet. I don't feel secure using them. I still prefer cash. Lets see when I start to use it.

Back