Budget 0-20k Monitor upgrade 144hz

I've been pretty satisfied with my current monitor till I got more competitive in a couple of online FPS games. Been hearing a lot 144hz can make a lot of difference over 60. Currently I'm on a 23 inch monitor so I don't want the next monitor to be smaller than that.

Back when I purchased my current monitor I was still studying and I prioritized on color accuracy, and was mostly playing single players so I just went along with the tearing issues. Though I still do work on my pc, gaming is what I do most these days so the refresh rate is the priority now.
Besides, my current monitor started having some bleeding, and sometimes it takes time to turn on and stuff so I guess its time I go for an upgrade.
  1. What is your budget?
    • 20K (can go up slightly more, and definitely lower)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel i7 6600k
    • Motherboard - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
    • GPU - Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB DDR5
    • RAM - Kingston HyperXFury - 8gbx2
    • Monitor - Dell u2312hm
    • PSU - Seasonic 520W PSU
  3. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Monitor
  4. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
    • Kerala - Kochi/Kottayam
  5. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  6. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Image editing
    • Browsing
    • Movies
  7. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  8. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Apex Legends
    • Overwatch
  9. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080 (1440p if it does not hinder with FPS much)
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080

i have the same config.... been looking for a good 144hz monitor. one i shortlisted is Asus VG258Q but unfortunately its not available here.

this is one of those monitor which has Freesync tested by Nvidia and if you have a 10xx & 20xx series GPU, you can take advantage of Freesync with your Nvidia GPU (i will be getting an rtx 2070 soon)

I just bought Samsung CFG73 from Amazon for 19.5K. It has a VA panel full HD 144Hz.

I have an LG 24 inch IPS panel sitting next to it which is Full HD 75 Hz.

Color look almost identical on both after calibration. No problem there. So, if color accuracy is an issue, go with the Samsung monitor. I can vouch for the color accuracy. Blacks are much deeper in VA, and rest of the color spectrum looks identical to the IPS monitor. Cherry on top is that the Samsung panel still has 178 degree viewing angle even though it is a VA panel.

Both monitors support freesync and I have nVidia 1060 6GB and it works. Not just with the latest update, it has always worked in my case for the past 1.5 years, I dunno how, but it did.

Here is the problem. Since I moved from a 75 Hz freesync monitor to 144 Hz freesync monitor, I dont notice much of a difference between 75 and 144. Maybe its just me. Maybe it actually doesnt make a difference. And I am a CSGO player. Not very good at it. Still in gold ranks, but I thought 144 Hz monitor will make me feel the difference. It didnt. And I suspect freesync is the reason. I think my eyes cant differentiate between 75 and 144 when freesync is involved.

So, I turned it off. In both monitors. And boy, did I see a difference. Boom. Night and day.

TLDR: If you switch from freesync 75Hz to 144 hz freesync, it may or may not make a difference to you. If not freesync, then yes it will.

I just bought Samsung CFG73 from Amazon for 19.5K. It has a VA panel full HD 144Hz.
Here is the problem. Since I moved from a 75 Hz freesync monitor to 144 Hz freesync monitor, I dont notice much of a difference between 75 and 144. Maybe its just me. Maybe it actually doesnt make a difference. And I am a CSGO player. Not very good at it. Still in gold ranks, but I thought 144 Hz monitor will make me feel the difference. It didnt. And I suspect freesync is the reason. I think my eyes cant differentiate between 75 and 144 when freesync is involved.

So, I turned it off. In both monitors. And boy, did I see a difference. Boom. Night and day.

TLDR: If you switch from freesync 75Hz to 144 hz freesync, it may or may not make a difference to you. If not freesync, then yes it will.

Which one looked better to you?

Which one looked better to you?
Like I said, both look good. But LG is cheaper. Its only like 12k now, while Samsung is 19.5.
Here is the LG link:
https://www.amazon.in/LG-inch-60-96-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B06XDY3SJF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=WTVP4ZG7ZOCJ&keywords=lg+24+inch+monitor&qid=1553858120&s=gateway&sprefix=lg+24,aps,283&sr=8-5

Samsung link:
https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-CFG73...fg73&qid=1553858614&s=gateway&sr=8-4-fkmrnull

Downside is that LG monitor doesnt have VESA mounts and the stand provided doesnt allow it to move at all. While with Samsung, you can even do portrait mode with the provided stand. It even comes with a wall mount mechanism like a TV does.

But, having now seen how 144 hz works, my personal opinion is to save money and buy a Freesync 75 hz monitor instead. If only I could test 144Hz somewhere in shops before buying it. :(

BTW, there are 2 models in Samsung. CFG73 and CFG70. Dont go for CFG70. It has serious issues. Google it. CFG73 is the way to go if 144Hz freesync is the requirement. I can vouch for it. It is the best monitor not only in this price range, but also there is no monitor like it till around 30k. For 144Hz, IPS anyway doesnt make much sense due to the response time of the screen. TN is the best performer, but has less color accuracy. VA is the meet in the middle solution. It has good colors AND viewing angles are amazing. Plus, there is no blur on the screen. Of course, always switch off motion blur in game. :)

Last edited:
Like I said, both look good. But LG is cheaper. Its only like 12k now, while Samsung is 19.5.
Here is the LG link:
https://www.amazon.in/LG-inch-60-96-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B06XDY3SJF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=WTVP4ZG7ZOCJ&keywords=lg+24+inch+monitor&qid=1553858120&s=gateway&sprefix=lg+24,aps,283&sr=8-5

Samsung link:
https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-CFG73...fg73&qid=1553858614&s=gateway&sr=8-4-fkmrnull

Downside is that LG monitor doesnt have VESA mounts and the stand provided doesnt allow it to move at all. While with Samsung, you can even do portrait mode with the provided stand. It even comes with a wall mount mechanism like a TV does.

But, having now seen how 144 hz works, my personal opinion is to save money and buy a Freesync 75 hz monitor instead. If only I could test 144Hz somewhere in shops before buying it. :(

BTW, there are 2 models in Samsung. CFG73 and CFG70. Dont go for CFG70. It has serious issues. Google it. CFG73 is the way to go if 144Hz freesync is the requirement. I can vouch for it. It is the best monitor not only in this price range, but also there is no monitor like it till around 30k. For 144Hz, IPS anyway doesnt make much sense due to the response time of the screen. TN is the best performer, but has less color accuracy. VA is the meet in the middle solution. It has good colors AND viewing angles are amazing. Plus, there is no blur on the screen. Of course, always switch off motion blur in game. :)

Do you suggest any cheaper VA pannel monitor at 75hz freesync ?

Kind of a bump, I had sort of dropped the plan to get a 144hz monitor back then but now I'm thinking about it again.

I almost made my mind to get the BenQ-XL2411P
but is the model very dated? are there better options in 2019?

My second option was to get the Samsung CFG73, but I wasn't so sure about going ahead with a curved screen and also heard there's a lot of ghosting and artifact issues with this model.

Do suggest if there any other options in the price range :)

I got AOC C24G1 from Flipkart for 14.5k during sale..it's a curve VA panel with 144hz...I loved the jump from 60hz to higher..Specially I Arkham knight fight, it's smoother .. Color is descent out of the box, I am yet to calibrate it..Viewing angle is less as it's a curve monitor, but the curve give slight immersiveness from the middle n 2-3 feet distance.. I think it's a perfect middle ground

There is Acer vg240yp ips 24 inch 144hz monitor which has a new panel for 16k (launched for 13,999 but seller keep increasing price :( ) Seems to be good and the panel is getting decent reviews in reddit.

Still waiting for the LG 27GL850to launch in India. The Acer Nitro seems a decent option if you don't intend to spend 50k+ for Asus ROG/Gigabyte Aorus monitors
That's what sucks if you ask me. Like acer nitro is around 20k for full hd 27" [emoji848]

Still waiting for the LG 27GL850to launch in India. The Acer Nitro seems a decent option if you don't intend to spend 50k+ for Asus ROG/Gigabyte Aorus monitors
Is this the one on Amazon available for 28k ? 240hz, 1ms response time.

If so then, Only catch is the tn panel [emoji17]

Back