Most VFM phone (O 2x | Pantech Burst | Captivate)?

melv1nratedr

Disciple
I own a GS3 and I feel I've kinda wasted a lot of money over features that I'm never going to use.

My primary use is for: Twitter (Falcon Pro), RSS (Press), Reading articles (Pocket), occasional browsing (Chrome).

I have a BB Playbook for my video and ebook needs and Cowon J3 for audio.

So, I'm looking to sell my GS3 soon and get a phone with good dev support and 4+ inch screen. I've zeroed in on the following phones:

1) Optimus 2X (can get it for 11.7k on ebay): CM support, former flagship device, dual core proccy.
2) Pantech Burst (can get it for 8.3k): Fantastic features and acceptable build. Restricted to ICS at the moment
3) Samsung Captivate (can get it for 8.5k): Awesome dev support, former flagship device

Please help me chose the best VFM among these or recommend something better. Battery life on 3G would also be a deciding factor.

You can get a cappy for even less. Burst will not have good dev support; at best, just okish stuff. However, there are methods of a build your own CM10 with 4.1/4.2.

I think a cappy with a extended battery pack would be great.

WP ecosystem is hopeless. I'm emphasizing on dev support because I'd like to experience the developments in mobile OSs. Captivate and O2X are sure to get the next android builds as well. Not to mention, better resale value if I have to sell it to a local buyer later.

Get the O2x. Its extremely powerful in comparison to Captivate. All games runs very smooth and performance is top notch with custom ROM's. Though ICS or JB are not yet completely stable as far as I know.

Avoid AMOLED screens as your purpose is reading stuff, AMOLED screen is not good at all for this purpose. They look pixelated in comparison to other screens like IPS and SLCD.

Out of three the best choice would be O2X.

O2X.

Outside of 2-3 ROMs, the Burst has almost no modding scene and I'm not sure if it's going to pick up now. The phone is already almost 9 months old and if it had to be a dev budget favourite (like the ZTE Blade or even the Moto Defy), this would have been the right time.

O2X.

Outside of 2-3 ROMs, the Burst has almost no modding scene and I'm not sure if it's going to pick up now. The phone is already almost 9 months old and if it had to be a dev budget favourite (like the ZTE Blade or even the Moto Defy), this would have been the right time.

The phone became cheap and affordable now. There are abt 4-5 roms right now, Compared to 1,a few months ago.

The phone became cheap and affordable now. There are abt 4-5 roms right now, Compared to 1,a few months ago.

Wasn't it available for 8-9 k even in October? I was getting a new one for 10k as long back as last May here in TE itself. I don't have anything against the phone, but to me it seems it's going the Atrix 2 way. Affordable phone with great specs and good initial response, but then the dev scene just dies somehow. The AOSP ROM for the Burst has many bugs, if I'm not mistaken and the other ones are just deodexed and zip aligned version of the stock AT&T ROM. I'd love to see it get its own sub forum on XDA and a bunch of good quality devs bringing functional CM10.1/AOKP ROMs to it.

Wasn't it available for 8-9 k even in October? I was getting a new one for 10k as long back as last May here in TE itself. I don't have anything against the phone, but to me it seems it's going the Atrix 2 way. Affordable phone with great specs and good initial response, but then the dev scene just dies somehow. The AOSP ROM for the Burst has many bugs, if I'm not mistaken and the other ones are just deodexed and zip aligned version of the stock AT&T ROM. I'd love to see it get its own sub forum on XDA and a bunch of good quality devs bringing functional CM10.1/AOKP ROMs to it.

Yes 7-8k since October, before that cheapest was 12-14k..now that the phone is cheap, development is on..

Back