Moto G4 Play launched in India for 8999rs. (Amazon Exclusive)

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
upload_2016-9-6_23-36-26.png

GSM Arena specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g4_play-8104.php

Motorola Moto G4 Play   Full phone specifications.png

Amazon Link[DOUBLEPOST=1473189485][/DOUBLEPOST]
moto g4 Untitled.jpg

"capabilities" what is this even supposed to mean? :mad::confused:

Last edited:
Aside from stock android is there any reason to get this over Redmi 3S prime which is the same price but packs in more RAM, Storage, Fingerprint sensor and (possibly) a better camera?

When the base model of the Redmi Note 3 comes for 1k more, this is an absolutely stupid deal. Also the Redmi 3 is a better buy as it beats the G4 Play in every single department.

What a trainwreck of a phone

Aside from stock android is there any reason to get this over Redmi 3S prime which is the same price but packs in more RAM, Storage, Fingerprint sensor and (possibly) a better camera?

When the base model of the Redmi Note 3 comes for 1k more, this is an absolutely stupid deal. Also the Redmi 3 is a better buy as it beats the G4 Play in every single department.

Phone would be much more stable over the years. And Moto phones do not break down very quickly (I am talking about my experience with Moto G1 and colleague's experience with Moto G2). If Xiaomi phones do not develop problems then very good. But if you have to visit their service centre once, you will regret the day you bought the phone.

I own a Redmi Note 3 and something or the other breaks after every release of MIUI. For now it is ok since phone is new and they bring out a release every month. But after 12-15 months, it won't get so many official updates. What will we do then?
My Moto G1 received 3 updates in total over a time period of 2yrs. Lollipop itself had bugs and so made phone slow. But other than that, phone was rock solid over the years.

By the way, Xiaomi phones having great camera is a thing of the past. Redmi Note 3 has shitty camera. Whereas Moto G3, G4, G4+ have brilliant camera. G4+ camera quality has been compared to iPhone 6

@iPwnz I guess it has a hybrid SIM slot like recent Xiaomi phones. You either insert second SIM or MicroSD card.

"every single department"" lol please. Just one question dude, have you bought it? Or even read a single review?
9k may be overpriced to some yes but saying Redmi 3 is better than this G4 Play just because the former has better specs on paper is stupid.
Now let's compare the Note 3 and this G4 Play taking some underrated but important features of the phones. Note 3 comes in 5.5" which is a stupidly huge of a phone. Secondly, the plain eye-watering of a feature called "Hybrid" SIM slot. For someone who is in need of a DUAL SIM slot with a dedicated MicroSD slot I can't go with the Note 3. Sure battery may be good and (since many people are whining about it online)also has a finger print scanner but who gives a shit about the latter really? Last I heard my cousin's finger print scanner on her Note 3 no longer works properly anymore which is not something new or strange coming from Xiaomi LOL. I'd rather not have a feature which I don't need, that too a poor quality one. Thirdly the MIUI i believe is still based on Android v5. Permission feature is the ONLY thing which I like about it.
Now G4 Play, which costs 1000rs than the Note 3 2GB. 5" display which is decent. Would prefer 4.7" though. Dual-SIM slot (as per MotoIND with a dedicated microSD slot (GSMArena). Finally someone got it right. Also decent battery at 2800mah. Last but not the least a clean stock Android M! Who doesn't love a clean simple UI? RAM size is at 2GB which is the same as the Note 3 base variant of 2GB RAM/16GB storage model. G4 Play is hands down the clear winner here for me.
Now Redmi 3S and G4 Play. 5" display which is the same on the G4 Play. Redmi 3S with a better SoC. Same 2GB RAM. Very large battery at 4000mah which is nice I'll admit. And MIUI. But plagued with the same Hybrid feature. And don't forget the FLASH SALE!! Where you are not guaranteed a piece even if you really like it and want to buy it. Which reminds me IIRC there will be a flash sale on Xiaomi India's website tomorrow. All I can say if you want the Redmi 3S is good ****ing luck getting it in the stupid flash sales.
Redmi 3S would've been a great phone if only it didn't have the "Hybrid" slot. It still is a very good option, don't get me wrong. But for some people like me who are in need of a dual sim phone with dedicated microSD slot it just cannot do even at 6999rs. I still plan to buy it as a secondary phone.
And the G4 Play at 8999rs maybe a little overpriced to some who want the best specs on paper but its a good deal worth taking.

Also you may want to read a friend's blogpost on his Mi4. http://www.ifart.in/xiaomi-mi4-adventure/

And this is a Moto phone don't forget it. I thought Lenovo would screw them up but I seem to be wrong so far. Many users are happy with their G3 Turbos and G4's and what not.[DOUBLEPOST=1473224578][/DOUBLEPOST]@hotshot05 MotoIND said dual-sim. GSM arena says dedicated microSD slot. It better be true. Else I'm gonna go berserk!

Well some reasons have been posted above.
How I think of them right now: IF the Moto G4 Play has the Dual SIM feature thing it will make for a great primary phone. And if not then, it still will make for a good primary phone. Now with regard to the Redmi 3S it will be a very good secondary phone. Get my point? ;) :D

Replaced my Moto e 1st gen with a Redmi 2 prime about 6 months ago and very happy with it. The first Moto e was way too limited with features. Like no compass. Htf do you know what way the map is pointing till you start walking and GPS then computes your direction. Many other little niggles. Solid phone build wise. But very happy to be finally rid of it. Another friend moved from an lg e970 to a Moto e 2nd gen for a few days when the lg died and was really frustrated with it. Also using a Redmi 2 prime now and very satisfied. Except for the lack of global bands because he keeps traveling to the us.

Used a 3s prime i bought for my cuz for a few days. AWESOME phone. And even at 5" doesn't seem bulkier than the 2 prime. Actually feels better in the hand. I've plenty of friends already using a fingerprint sensor but First time for me personally. All i can say is i dunno how i managed without one so far and sorely miss that now on my 2 prime.

I too have no option other than the 2 prime because i need dual SIM and dedicated micro sd. And no phablets size.

The new Moto maybe be built well but it reminds me of the 1st gen e, in that it's crap outdated specs for the price and considering the alternatives, but at least the Moto e was actually priced decently.

The Redmi 2 Prime was a good phone. Too bad its been discontinued. But the Moto E2 has a longer battery life. These two were always on top of my list and between the Redmi 2 Prime and Moto E2 4G I would choose the latter any day. Currently using a Moto E2 3G. No complaint except for some display issues for which I need to RMA i but can't at the moment. Maybe you friend found the chipset too lacking for his needs.
As for the Moto E 1st Gen I have no idea how much you expected out of it lol. It was made to be a very good "entry level" phone and it did. My sister had one. Battery was not good and lack of front camera were her issues with the phone. Google's Moto improved it with the E2 and nearly perfected it with the E2 4G. 2GB RAM and 720p display and it would've been more awesome.
And this G4 Play should've been called E 3rd Gen. Seems more fitting but overpriced. And its available in the U.S. for just $100 ~7000rs which would've made it such a good deal here. Still a 8999rs is a price worth paying for if they have all the things which I require.
For now will try my luck with the Redmi 3S and use it as a portable media player. :p

Maybe you friend found the chipset too lacking for his needs.

Well, as i said, he did come from the e970, so that's there. But he's also very happy with the 2prime esp considering the price.

As for the Moto E 1st Gen I have no idea how much you expected out of it lol. It was made to be a very good "entry level" phone and it did. My sister had one. Battery was not good and lack of front camera were her issues with the phone...

And its available in the U.S. for just $100...

I expected basic features, which include proximity, auto brightness and later found out compass. Some other minor but persistent issues don't remember now. I found the battery to be good enough. Didn't need a front cam. Incidentally, when i got the 2prime i gave my moto e to my sis, and she's slightly disappointed, because you know girls and selfies... But free phone so wth.

Wait, what? It's actually cheaper in the US? AFAIK every moto sold here was cheaper, sometimes by a lot. Yeah 6-7k is a decent price for the g4play.

So your only issue with the 3s prime is the micro sd? Same here, or i would have dumped my 2prime in an instant for the 3sprime. I liked it that much.[DOUBLEPOST=1473241806][/DOUBLEPOST]
Fingerprint scanner is very very convenient. And since you will have to use power button very rarely , it will love you.

^ this is so true it's unbelievable. like sliced bread. (though I prefer whole loaves, i have an awesome bread knife from the UK circa 60s or 70s.[DOUBLEPOST=1473241849][/DOUBLEPOST]If it's a good phone, the lava era 1x has a chance of beating all these phones...[DOUBLEPOST=1473242205][/DOUBLEPOST]p.s. don't tell my sis but i dropped half a glass of mosambi juice on the moto e. It was face up on a table. No issues lol. And the first week i owned it i dropped it maybe 10 times from about waist height. Solid build gotta give it that. Heavy too, probably because of the glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expected basic features, which include proximity, auto brightness and later found out compass. Some other minor but persistent issues don't remember now
No such issue with the phone. But yeah its very possible. Just like I'm sometimes facing display issue with mine.

Wait, what? It's actually cheaper in the US? AFAIK every moto sold here was cheaper, sometimes by a lot. Yeah 6-7k is a decent price for the g4play.
Well $99.99 is approx 7k here so yeah its cheaper by 2k.

So your only issue with the 3s prime is the micro sd?
Yes. I even posted the news thread because of all the excitement till the truth bomb about the hybrid slot was dropped on me.

No such issue with the phone. But yeah its very possible. Just like I'm sometimes facing display issue with mine.

No no, not those kinds of issues. Mostly design or lack of specific features is what i meant. OK I remember one. Some sms which have a lot of text and links in them, were impossible to delete. As in long press wouldn't pop up any menu. It would kinda lag. I had to use a 3rd party sms app to delete them. Shoulda stayed with kitkat, lollipop was a bit much for the 1gb i think.

Yes. I even posted the news thread because of all the excitement till the truth bomb about the hybrid slot was dropped on me.

LOL

Phone would be much more stable over the years. And Moto phones do not break down very quickly (I am talking about my experience with Moto G1 and colleague's experience with Moto G2). If Xiaomi phones do not develop problems then very good. But if you have to visit their service centre once, you will regret the day you bought the phone.

I own a Redmi Note 3 and something or the other breaks after every release of MIUI. For now it is ok since phone is new and they bring out a release every month. But after 12-15 months, it won't get so many official updates. What will we do then?
My Moto G1 received 3 updates in total over a time period of 2yrs. Lollipop itself had bugs and so made phone slow. But other than that, phone was rock solid over the years.

By the way, Xiaomi phones having great camera is a thing of the past. Redmi Note 3 has shitty camera. Whereas Moto G3, G4, G4+ have brilliant camera. G4+ camera quality has been compared to iPhone 6

@iPwnz I guess it has a hybrid SIM slot like recent Xiaomi phones. You either insert second SIM or MicroSD card.

I actually still have a G1 which works amazing for a phone that is almost 3 years old now. Got the wife a G4Plus mostly because of how much I loved the G1. This on the other hand, seems to be going nowhere. I dont think Stock android+updates and build quality is enough to see off other manufacturers that are doing more for the same price.

And isnt Lenovo doing Moto phones now? So even build quality could be a dice roll.

Fingerprint scanner is very very convenient. And since you will have to use power button very rarely , it will love you.

This is so true. Its just one of those things that you dont think you need till you use it and then you just dont want to go back to the old way.

Back