Motorola Droid Turbo Expected to Launch Globally as Moto Maxx on November 5

517a51.jpg

The Droid Turbo smartphone by Motorola, which is currently exclusive to US mobile carrier Verizon, might soon launch globally under the company's iconic 'Maxx' branding.

A Portuguese publication named Tecnoblog has posted an invite from Motorola that suggests the company is gearing up to announce the global roll-out of the smartphone on November 5 at an event in Sao Paulo, Brazil. For those unaware, Brazil has been an important market for Motorola in the past, and the company globally unveiled the popular Moto G (first generation) last year at an event in Sao Paulo.

The company even claims that the smartphone can deliver up to 48 hours of mixed usage. The smartphone also supports Motorola's Turbo Charger, a new accessory from the company stables that is said to provide 8 hours of battery life in just 15 minutes of charging.
Other specifications of the Droid Turbo smartphone include a 5.2-inch QHD (1440x2560 pixels) display offering a pixel density of 565ppi; a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor clocked at 2.7GHz; 3GB of RAM; a 21-megapixel rear autofocus camera with f/2.0 aperture and dual-LED flash; a 2-megapixel front camera; water-repellent nano-coating. It runs Android 4.4.4 KitKat.

The invite posted by the Portuguese site does not name a device but the accompanied image strongly points that the smartphone likely to launch is the Droid Turbo itself. In fact, the smartphone in the teaser image is the identical to the Black Ballistic Nylon colour variant of the Droid Turbo listed on the Motorola site.
motorola_invite_tecnoblog.jpg

Tecnoblog, citing a source, also suggests that Motorola is looking to revive the 'Maxx' brand of smartphones with the new Droid Turbo.

Motorola's last Maxx-branded smartphone, the Motorola Droid Maxx, was launched last year exclusively at Verizon Wireless. Meanwhile, the last 'Droid' smartphone that was announced back in 2012 in India was the Motorola Razr Maxx.

It's worth pointing out that the Motorola Droid Turbo features a massive 3900mAh battery, the biggest amongst some of the high-end phones such as Sony Xperia Z3, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and even Moto X (Gen 2). The Droid Turbo certainly fits for the "Maxx" branding.

Source

From what I've heard from my friend who is friends with Motorola insider that it won't be revealed globally. Brazil has Verizon network and this still will be Verizon exclusive.. Again, I can be wrong.

From what I've heard from my friend who is friends with Motorola insider that it won't be revealed globally. Brazil has Verizon network and this still will be Verizon exclusive.. Again, I can be wrong.

Your friend by any chance has the nexus 6 release date for india? and pricing?

This will mostly launch globally as the Moto Maxx! And it seems like one hell of an awesome device to me !

Last edited:
Doesn't look pretty that's for sure, but Moto has a specific design going on for the Droid range, which they have maintained with Turbo.

Yeah, mandated by Verizon AFAIK. I'm just miffed because this could have been the 2014 Moto X, but no, they had to screw up the camera and battery.

Yeah, mandated by Verizon AFAIK. I'm just miffed because this could have been the 2014 Moto X, but no, they had to screw up the camera and battery.

True, but with Moto camera was always a concern. Battery yes, at least 3000 mah should have been on the new X. Or the existence of Turbo / Maxx on the sidelines might have pushed Moto to cut little corners of X.

Last edited:
True, but with Moto camera was always a concern. Battery yes, at least 3000 mah should have been on the new X. Or the existence of Turbo / Maxx in the sidelines might have pushed Moto to cut little corners of X.

Pity, because the X's design is so much better.

Its incoming to Flipkart!
B-ME5s1CUAAscGW.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1424348189][/DOUBLEPOST]Hope they price it right!

I am seriously pissed at all those OEM's who always pick India for later release.

Samsung sucks, but atleast they release their flagships very early in India, unlike those coming from moto/apple.

^But there is catch with Maxx, cos according to the website, this phone does not support any of the LTE bands in India currently, dunno what version is coming though!
Also this phone was released late Nov'14 if I'm not mistaken, if one were to go by the reviews, meh, its not all that great, one can better off with a Nexus 6!

I am seriously pissed at all those OEM's who always pick India for later release.

Samsung sucks, but atleast they release their flagships very early in India, unlike those coming from moto/apple.

Samsung releases flagship with crap proccy in India.
Now currently as an OEM OPO>>>Samsung

Definitely Motorola is far better than Samsung in build quality and Android optimisation.

And by the way only 20% indians can afford a phone > 40k.
Meanwhile last quarter Moto G2 was released first in India followed by global release.

Motorola know to play it's cards;that too very well.

In US Verizon has sole exclusivity on Turbo.
So gearing for Indian release Maxx may have got a LTE upgrade or changes.
It will definitely ship with Stock Anroid UI.

If you haven't seen latest tests;N6 beats i6+ in daylight photography.
Maxx has bumped up sensor and better low light capability than N6.

All in it's a VFM package;a developer phone and far better than Note 4

Back