Moving to bangalore : need help

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
I may be moving to Bangalore by the 15th of dec this year. I have a few queries for the resident Bangaloreans:-
  • My office may be at either Indiranagar or Koramangala - how far would it be from BTM layout(if I commute by my car)?
  • What are the road conditions in Bangalore now? (I was in BLR prior to the monsoons and not all roads are good)
  • What are rents like in Bangalore now for a flat/house (1BHK/2BHK) what area would be the cheapest/decent providing adequate safety for my car (don't want the music system to be stolen)
  • Are their CNG pumps in bangalore for 4 wheelers and what is the current rate of CNG per kg? Are there few pumps of many pumps? (most pumps in ahmedabad or mumbai offer cng)
  • How much would it cost to run my car (i10) on the roads of BLR after being there for 6 months (i.e road tax/rto transfer/municipality tax/bribes)
  • Is electricity constant (delhi has frequent and long power cuts) and are there spikes/voltage drops/etc?
  • Please list some good internet services offering 2 MBps unlimited plans along with their rates?
Many thanks!

Last edited:
1. Around 10km from Indiranagar, and less than 5km from Koramangala.
2. Decent in most places, bad in some areas, and excellent in only a few roads (mainly highways).
3. Depends on which area you want to settle in; it can range from 5k and go up to even 20k. I doubt any house will provide parking space for your car (though you might get lucky). You should be looking for flats then.
4. Yes, there are CNG pumps, but not many. From my experience, I have to say that there are very few CNG pumps. They're is used mostly by autorikshaws. Don't know the current rate of CNG. (Sorry, they're actually LPG; never bothered to check what they were.)
5. Don't know.
6. Yes, electricity is constant. If there are power cuts, they're usually for an hour or so. Very long power cuts are a rarity.
7. Again, depends on which area you settle in. ACT/Airtel/BSNL are the most recommended ones. Pick your choice according to the plan you like.

Last edited:
No cng in bangalore. There is only lpg.

Travelling from btm to koramangala is fine but to Indira Hagar will be a bit of a pain.

I may be moving to Bangalore by the 15th of dec this year. I have a few queries for the resident Bangaloreans:-
  • My office may be at either Indiranagar or Koramangala - how far would it be from BTM layout(if I commute by my car)?
  • Driving from BTM to Indiranagar/Koramangala should take you anywhere between 20 mins to an hour - Traffic in this stretch gets pretty bad.
  • What are the road conditions in Bangalore now? (I was in BLR prior to the monsoons and not all roads are good)
  • Roads are decent/good enough
  • What are rents like in Bangalore now for a flat/house (1BHK/2BHK) what area would be the cheapest/decent providing adequate safety for my car (don't want the music system to be stolen)
  • You should search for a flat - again flats in BTM may get a bit expensive. You may want to try areas near Koramangala/Indiranagar if you're ok with paying something like 15k for rent (for small 2bhk)
  • Are their CNG pumps in bangalore for 4 wheelers and what is the current rate of CNG per kg? Are there few pumps of many pumps? (most pumps in ahmedabad or mumbai offer cng)
  • no idea about CNG stuff..
  • How much would it cost to run my car (i10) on the roads of BLR after being there for 6 months (i.e road tax/rto transfer/municipality tax/bribes)
  • I think the road tax is 10-12% but again not sure..
  • Is electricity constant (delhi has frequent and long power cuts) and are there spikes/voltage drops/etc?
  • Yes. Most of the areas have constant power supply - power cuts are usually scheduled and if there's some maintenance then they post the areas affected in the newspaper and BESCOM generally follows that schedule...
  • Please list some good internet services offering 2 MBps unlimited plans along with their rates?
  • I used to live in a place where Airtel said I had to wait for 3-4 months. BSNL gave me the connection within a week and it was pretty good enough for me...
Many thanks!

If you're working in Indiranagar or Koramangala, I believe you are better off getting a place in those areas - travelling from BTM (and especially God forbid you've to go through Silk Board) is a royal PITA.
You may end up spending 2k more on rent but the peace of mind will be worth the money..

Most of the roads are crowded because they aren't wide enough to accommodate the vehicles.
No CNG.. Only LPG
A decent 2BHK house in a good locality would cost you 10k upwards ( rent * 10 = advance amount/deposit)
Power cuts are common only during peak summer (mostly day time).
ACT and Airtel are two really good ISPs.

Last edited:
Is there any possibility of CNG being available soon in BLR for cars?
Also how much would it cost to run my car (i10) on the roads of BLR after being there for 6 months (i.e road tax/rto transfer/municipality tax/bribes)

I havent been in Bangalore for long but based on my experience:
1. Traveling is relative to your timings. I have collegaues who travel from BTM to Domlur ie between Koramangla and IndiraNagar, they are here in 20 mins thereabouts. Office starts at 8 so that is 7.40 am start. And they leave at exact 5 to reach home by 5.40ish. If the time goes to 5.15, they end up suffering.
2. Roads are narrow and are not so good in places.
3. Parking is at a premium. If you need safe parking then go for flats. They can set you back by quite some amount. 15k for a semi-furnished smallish 2bhk
4. CNG/LPG no idea
5. I have seen/heard people running out of state cars. Some as long as 2 yrs
6. Power cuts are not so frequent, though sometimes situation does go bad. If you are going to take a flat, try for one with a power backup (my experience has been that many flats have them - via generator or inverter). Not to offend anyone but the spikes, drops are mainstay of northern states. Only time I get to see them are when I go home for holidays.
7. ACT has no availablity in BTM. Airtel ports are generally full - so though there are plans like 1.3k for 8mbps, you might end up paying the same amount for 2-4mbps.

Yes I know couple of friends who drive non- KA cars here for the past three years but cops ask you for recent toll tickets to escape fine/bribe.
That reminds me of one of my friends, who was here on a temporary stay. He used to go to the border every weekend and get a toll ticket.

Back