Moving to Mumbai - Help needed

Vince

Boogie-Man
Skilled
Hi folks,

Will be moving to Mumbai for work, by mid-november. Am looking at renting an apartment (1/2BHK, semi/full furnished) in Thane for a year or two. My office's location is at Sun InfoTech Park (Wagle Estate, Thane) . Am looking at a place with minimum travel to workplace, proximity to any hang-out spots, and proximity to a train-station for easy commute to other places.

Any leads would be welcome. Or agents numbers if possible.
Also, recommendations for a good wifi connection, plus mobile and 3G services too which are good at Thane/Mumbai.

Any other advice/info would be welcome :) (i've gone through earlier threads, so i wish to pre-empt any advice on learning Marathi. ;) )

Thanks in advance guys!

-Vince

P.S. Can't wait to see what you guys actually talk about in Mumbai TE meets :p

where is sun infotech park ????? If your office is in andheri east (where most of the IT companies are) then better travel by the company bus ( if there is one) . Dont travel by the local trains as its quite difficult for a newbie and u'll ruin ur nicely ironed clothes...
Better buy a bike in that way u can travel to office as well as go to the "hang-out" spots rather than by going by trains and taxis....

Reagrding hang out sposts it depends on where u live... most of the happening crowd is in the western suburbs... :p

Either take the home within one or two train stations and prefer travel by buses or take a residence at terminal station like belapur, nerul, vashi. You will get decent train services for these locations.

Also u can try to get the house from some website, here in mumbai you have to pay a brokerage for every year of renewal of rent agreement. I had a pleasant experience while going without a broker. Ofcourse you need to be little more careful by checking electricity bills, pan card etc, before handing out the security deposit.

Thanks vheezay, p_sam21 and girish!

@vheezay: Its at Wagle Estate apparently :s

The hang-out spots inquiry was mostly for TE meets :p because I already travel a lot for TE meets here in Chennai :p

@p_sam : Thanks bro, but looking to avoid train travel as much as possible for a daily routine. Any link to the websites you mentioned?
And thanks for the advice on bills! But PAN card??

Is this the location? Coordinates: 19°11'47"N 72°57'24"E?

Anywyas, a bike is a must. If not wrong, also you could avoid the toll charges if you need to cross the fence. ;)

As far as 3G is concerned, that you can find out only on the spot, so first thing to do when you reach mumbai, get a card of your choice and check speeds/connectivity bars

BB connection, go with 5net, their dc is too good. but bargain hard, as they mark up the prices sometimes, especially here in ghatkopar.

Most of the TE meets are in powai which is about a half hour from thane...pretty close considering this is bbay

But to get to any other civilized place in the city, you will have to take an hour's train journey

99acres.com - i had got mine from this, while searching in these sites , tick the box to display ads posted by individual , not agents.

rent flat mumbai - Google Search

By pan card, i meant check the identity etc of person carefully if you go direct, since you would be paying nearly 50K to 1L for deposit. Prefer bank transfer instead of cheque since that would be additional verification for you.

I guess you have two options,

1.stay at thane closer to your office, but its little congested, bad roads, dirty.

2.stay on navi mumbai side, lot cleaner greener, but away from office, you might have to pay toll charges if you own a vehicle of your own.

@Scorpy, vivek.krishnan : more info about 5net please!

@vivek.krishnan : Yes that is the location.
I prefer not to die on.. oops sorry.. drive on Indian (Metropolitan) roads :S (well, not yet anyway)
About 3G, will check up once I get there. :)
Thanks!

@kippu, raj404: New job guys, can't negotiate transfers now. Anyway I'm looking forward to Mumbai :)

@p_sam21: Thanks a ton. Am looking through 99acres.com
also realestateindia.com
For the moment am looking at Flat share, find a room mate or room for rent FREE! for something suitable/temporary

Will take up some place close to Wagle Estate for now. Perhaps later on, could shift to Navi Mumbai. :)

Eh, ignore all the people dissing Bombay. It is an amazing City! Have lived there 11+ years over different periods in my life. I even chose to attend college there when I had other options, including the town my parents live in.

I have no other input, just came in to counter balance the 'welcome to hell' people. Just embrace Bombay and the lifestyle and give it a fair chance before (and if) you decide to leave. :p

Staying in Thane for almost 3 years.
For your office location, you can check flats at Teen hath naka/Nitin company/Cadbury junction/Vasant Vihar/Ghodbundar road/Dhokali.
All depends on your budget.

Welcome to Mumbai

Oh, so after 2 days of heavy apartment-hunting at Thane & Andheri East (toyed with the idea of staying with a friend there who's also searching for an apartment at MIDC, and thought I could travel to Thane every day (its about an hour's journey by bus), but i think it'll be tiring for every day travel), I am worn out.
Anyway, am leaning towards a 1BHK furnished (crappy tv, a/c, sofa, bed, fridge) near Mulund Bus Depot which seems to be walking distance from Wagle Estate, as its the cheapest I could find so far (considering my 'furnished' criteria).

Have enough energy (and patience) for a day more of searching before i *pray* I find something worth it.

@Whatsinaname: Every Metro has its quirks. :) And as a foodie, I need places to eat. And Mumbai has quite a good assortment of such establisments :D

@Vivacious : Yep, was looking at walkable distances. The flat i'm currently leaning towards is at Shree Nagar (near Wagle Estate)
My budget(is as per the lowest possible in the area) about Rs.11k per month on a 1BHK fully furnished flat. Compared to a slightly high-end PG which was advertising rates at Rs.8k, I thought I could get my own place for slightly more than that, and enjoy my privacy.
If you do know of any similar flats, please do let me know!!

@Aces: BTW I was thinking, should I taken on an alias as the Mane from Thane? Man from Mulund? :p

Vince said:
Oh, so after 2 days of heavy apartment-hunting at Thane & Andheri East (toyed with the idea of staying with a friend there who's also searching for an apartment at MIDC, and thought I could travel to Thane every day (its about an hour's journey by bus), but i think it'll be tiring for every day travel), I am worn out.

Anyway, am leaning towards a 1BHK furnished (crappy tv, a/c, sofa, bed, fridge) near Mulund Bus Depot which seems to be walking distance from Wagle Estate, as its the cheapest I could find so far (considering my 'furnished' criteria).

Have enough energy (and patience) for a day more of searching before i *pray* I find something worth it.

@Whatsinaname: Every Metro has its quirks. :) And as a foodie, I need places to eat. And Mumbai has quite a good assortment of such establisments :D

@Vivacious : Yep, was looking at walkable distances. The flat i'm currently leaning towards is at Shree Nagar (near Wagle Estate)

My budget(is as per the lowest possible in the area) about Rs.11k per month on a 1BHK fully furnished flat. Compared to a slightly high-end PG which was advertising rates at Rs.8k, I thought I could get my own place for slightly more than that, and enjoy my privacy.

If you do know of any similar flats, please do let me know!!

@Aces: BTW I was thinking, should I taken on an alias as the Mane from Thane? Man from Mulund? :p

Also, try to meet the owners of the flat and gauge what they are like before you finalise and sign something. What this also does is removes the broker (if you are using one) from the equation for if/when renewal of your contract comes up. I've had to deal with one particular broker who came back at the time of renewal and ask for another month's rent as fees. I just dealt with the owner directly for the second contract.

Welcome to Mumbai, mate! Will take some time to get 5net numbers as frnd is out of town :(

Anyways, if you need help, do let us know, TE community is here to help ;)

Also mate, you will need a UPS as load shedding has begun again in Mulund area. Just FYI

Back