MSTSC between 2 pcs on mobile hotspot with static ip....Possible?

nRiTeCh

Skilled
My existing setup has 2 monitors.

For wfh co. gave me a brand new Dell wyse 5070 thinclient.

Until yesterday I used to comfortably take mstsc of my thinclient from my primary desktop & do office work without disturbing my physical setup.

My ISP went off today and now I have to allocate one monitor to my thinclient + individual keyboard/mouse. and my desktop is all messed up/cluttered. I'm right now using my mobile hotspot.

I'm figuring out a way where I can access thinclient via my primary desktop via mstsc just as before while setting/reserving a static ip for both the machines?

Is this possible?

Or somehow use my Dlink rputer to connect to mobile hotspot and broadcast the same to my 2 systems.

Or able to connect to both networks via briding or something so as to able to get rdp as well as surf the net opn both systems.

Last edited:
I use mstsc all the time in my home network to connect to my headless PC from my office laptop but what you're asking needs setting up a VPN or port forwarding for exposing mstsc to the internet.

Keep in mind the 2nd option is a bit dicey as Indian ISPs don't usually give you a static IP and you have to mess around with dynamic DNS never mind the headache of exposing your PC on the interwebs.

The router and the hotspot are separate subnets so that means all data traffic will be routed though the internet rather than your LAN eating up the hotspot data limit.

I would suggest using Teamviewer as its a bit more hassle free provided you are allowed to install it on the office PC.

Why don't you have both the peronal machine and the office PC on the same network? Internet stability issues I guess.

If someone has a better option I am keen to know that as well.

I use mstsc all the time in my home network to connect to my headless PC from my office laptop but what you're asking needs setting up a VPN or port forwarding for exposing mstsc to the internet.

Keep in mind the 2nd option is a bit dicey as Indian ISPs don't usually give you a static IP and you have to mess around with dynamic DNS never mind the headache of exposing your PC on the interwebs.

The router and the hotspot are separate subnets so that means all data traffic will be routed though the internet rather than your LAN eating up the hotspot data limit.

I would suggest using Teamviewer as its a bit more hassle free provided you are allowed to install it on the office PC.

Why don't you have both the peronal machine and the office PC on the same network? Internet stability issues I guess.

If someone has a better option I am keen to know that as well.
I recharged my isp and things are back top normal but buggy isp...
Frankly I found your suggestions complex and cannot implement. Teamviewer I already had in mind but cannot install even though I have admin rights as it will breach corporate policy and I will lose my job.
For just in-case situaitons I want to able to rdp using mobile hotspot on either machines. There must be something hack or some app which might help assign a manual ip mac binded to both the machines...well too deep to discuss.

Is there Chrome browser installed
There must be something hack or some app which might help assign a manual ip mac binded to both the machines

Won't that create problems in the local network? One ip for two machines which are connected to network at same time? Will it even work without errors in Windows?
I remember windows complaining with a popup when my pc got the same ip address as another pc in the lan. Network kept going on/off trying to get new dhcp address I think. It was years back and might have changed now.

Is there Chrome browser installed

Won't that create problems in the local network? One ip for two machines which are connected to network at same time? Will it even work without errors in Windows?
I remember windows complaining with a popup when my pc got the same ip address as another pc in the lan. Network kept going on/off trying to get new dhcp address I think. It was years back and might have changed now.
OP has his home PC connected to the home router and his office PC is connected to a separate hotspot.He can set the same IP on both devices as they are under the umbrella of different DHCP servers.

However getting them to talk will need a combination of port forwarding and dynamic DNS which is what I used to access qbittorrent web GUI running on my headless Windows PC from outside my home before I moved to a Raspberry Pi+flexget+nginx+dataplicity reverse proxy setup for automated torrent downloads as NordVPN doesn't support port forwarding.

Another option would be setting up a Windows VPN server but I have not tried that out personally.

@nRiTeCh what you're asking is a tad complicated if you can't mess around with office data protection policies so prepare to get your hands dirty. :)

Isn't possible to connect both machines to your home router, so that both can talk each other using mstsc and in your thin client, use mobile Hotspot through USB connection?

Isn't possible to connect both machines to your home router, so that both can talk each other using mstsc and in your thin client, use mobile Hotspot through USB connection?
Via router they can communicate but I want to share a single hospot with both of them so whats happening here is that every system can only connect to one wireless connection at a time unless you got 2 wifi cards.

What i mean is, you connect one machine to mobile internet using USB cable, not using wifi! And try windows internet sharing from that machine to another one.

What i mean is, you connect one machine to mobile internet using USB cable, not using wifi! And try windows internet sharing from that machine to another one.
Already tried it but didn't succeed. It used to work great on wired LAN yrs ago on xp and 7.
Not sure if hotspot and wifi supports net sharing...

I'm figuring out a way where I can access thinclient via my primary desktop via mstsc just as before while setting/reserving a static ip for both the machines?
did tried VNC (tightvnc) - it has mobile client too.

Few VNC implementations have the Chrome extension too - Not sure how you will bypass the security/data protection though.

Simple - connect the Wyse client to the hotspot via USB and since it is based on Windows, should have RNDIS. The desktop you connect via WiFi. Use the computer hostname or NETBIOS name to access the computer over the network.

Back