Multipurpose laptop

Checksum

Skilled
After having waited for months for the updated MacBook, I've come out slightly disappointed. I was so sure that Apple would significantly upgrade the 13" pros, that I wasn't even considering other possibilities. But now it is time. So here is what I'm looking for:

Usage: General. I will only have this laptop and no desktop, so it has to be powerful
CPU: Any dual/quad core Ivy Bridge. Ultra low voltage parts won't do (as in the macbook air) as I will be using it heavily for development
Graphics: Dedicated solution not absolutely necessary as the HD4000 is pretty capable and I only play slightly older games
Screen size: 13" - 15"
Display: Need a high res display. Absolutely no compromises here. The display has to be good!
Portability: Should be portable when required (So no Alienware or other gaming laptops)

I know these are sweeping requirements, but I upgrade rarely and I want to get it right. I will definitely hang on to this for the next 3 or 4 years and need it to last that long. I don't have a strict budget, but it should still be worth the money I shell out.

My choices: I'm seriously considering the 15" MB Retina. It is freaking expensive, but it looks to be the perfect combination of power and portability. Another is the Vaio 14A which looks to be a great choice considering its price. But I want to explore if there are other better (and cheaper) alternatives before I settle for either.

Where do you live ?

Anyway I would say wait for the new Vaio S13A. 13.3 inch 1600x900 VAIO DISPLAY PREMIUM screen, i5 3520m, Nvidia GT640M LE 2gb GPU, 8gb RAM, 256GB SSD/750gb hdd (depending on model- ssd model would be about 1 lac), 1.6kg and 11 hour battery life with sheet battery

Alternatively you can look at Vaio S15A with i7 3612 quad core cpu, 15.5 inch Full HD Anti reflective IPS panel and 2kg weight. Rest of the specs are same as S13A. 8 hours battery life with sheet battery.

+1 for newer S series. Since you won't need a dGPU, the option of 14A which you mentioned seems as perfect. Though the models @randomuser111 mentioned sounds too tempting. But they may be stripped when they're launched, as it happens always.

Last edited by a moderator:
@randomuser111, I live in Singapore. I didn't know about the new series S models. Currently there are promotions for almost all Sony laptops, but they are the older SB CPUs. I guess they are trying to clear out the inventory before the newer models arrive. And unfortunately, the prices of Sony laptops are pretty high here! They are nowhere close to the prices in the US, which is a shame really. For the S13A, I'm sure that the base model will come with a regular HDD and with an SSD it will definitely touch 2300 - 2400 SGD. I really like the build and screen quality in the S/Z series, so I might just hold off my purchase till I get to play with them. The 15" S series is just too bulky and I'm afraid I won't be able to carry it frequently without giving myself backpains.
@JuGGa, I'm seriously considering the 14A @ 1600 SGD. The promotion also gives a free upgrade to 8GB of RAM. If I get that, I will definitely get a 128/256GB SSD, rip out the HDD and use it as an external drive. And all this shouldn't cross 2000 SGD!

@Checksum Yes, the normal 15"6 models are just too heavy (I'm facing it). But S/Z series are not so heavy. Still my vote goes for 14A.

@randomuser111

Thanks for those links! I think I got the S15 confused with some other model, cause I did check out a few models last week and I remember seeing an series S 15" which was very bulky. But the screen was gorgeous though! Will make a trip to the shops this weekend for a thorough hands-on. I like the S13A with the SSD, but for that price I can easily get the MB 15" Retina. I get an education discount of $250, which rounds off the price to $2728 which is definitely better than the $2700 for the S13A. I get a better display, slightly better GPU and the familiarity of OSX.

MBP 15 Retina is awesome :).

Just a heads up here. Apparently Sony Australia is giving away freebies with S13A. With S13A15GG you get a free Sony Xperia S, a cybershot camera, and the sheet battery. At no extra cost.

Maybe Singapore will get similar deals when S13A starts selling there?

That is good news! Let me wait a bit longer in that case.

I'm kind of surprised that the choices are really limited once you ask for a good screen. Even top of the line models from most manufacturers still have very low quality/ low res screens. I haven't found any other manufacturer that offers better screens than Sony, especially for the 13" models.

Just back after looking at Sony laptops. The S15A is very light for a 15 incher, but build quality is poor. The plastics feel cheap and the trackpad isn't very responsive. The display is really gorgeous though, but the display panel is so fragile, it will be very easy to crack it. Staying away from it.

I think after using the MacBook for so long, I'm used to the build quality. Its going to be hard to replace that. The retina MPB will be available in retail stores only from next week, so have to wait till it is available to play around with.

@Gannu, yup I'm aware of that. Fortunately, I don't plan on upgrading it in the future. I might settle for 16G of RAM since the extra $ will be covered by the education discount. But I am a bit nervous about getting such an expensive laptop which isn't serviceable. Goes without saying that I need to spend another $350 for Apple care within 1 year from purchase. In the end it all comes down to if its worth the $3350 I will be shelling out.

Just back after looking at Sony laptops. The S15A is very light for a 15 incher, but build quality is poor. The plastics feel cheap and the trackpad isn't very responsive. The display is really gorgeous though, but the display panel is so fragile, it will be very easy to crack it. Staying away from it.

I think after using the MacBook for so long, I'm used to the build quality. Its going to be hard to replace that. The retina MPB will be available in retail stores only from next week, so have to wait till it is available to play around with.

Actually the S and the Z Vaio display panels are meant to flex. This ensures that the screen doesn't actually crack. The theory is if it can flex, it won't break as easily as opposed to if its completely firm. You can see videos of the Z and S being tested in Sony labs dropped from various heights :) So its not poor build but it was designed that way to flex.

And yes the MBP Retina definitely is a great machine. Have the prices been announced there ? In India the Retina MBP range starts from 1.52 lacs for the base model and goes upto 1.95lacs for the top end model :p

The MBP Retina starts from $2,988. Users eligible for education discount can get it at $2,728 online. Right now there is a 3-5 week waiting period if ordered online. Them more I want it, the more I'm scared about future maintenance costs. If something goes bust 2 years down the line, I can see myself shelling out at least $300-500 to get it fixed. Still, I would like to see it in person next week and then take a call.

Back