Mushkin Midnight Turbo 32GB MKNUFDMN32GB USB2.0 Flash Drive Review

Well to be honest, this is more of benchmarks and impressions of this drive than a proper review. I won't be posting a proper conclusion for this, since many will perceive it as being biased. Still, i will try and give the readers the first hand impressions of this drive.

So on to the Product Details.

Product Details

First things first. The brand

mushkinlogo.jpg

About Mushkin Enhanced

Located at the base of the Rocky Mountains near Denver, Colorado, Mushkin Enhanced provides performance-enhanced computer products to users worldwide. Mushkin Enhanced products include a line of enhanced power supplies and complete selection of memory upgrades for desktops, notebooks and servers. Since the company's founding in 1994, Mushkin Enhanced has received numerous awards and commendations for quality, reliability and technical excellence. For nearly 15 years, Mushkin Enhanced has been dedicated to helping overclockers, gamers, IT managers, digital artists and mobile professionals enhance their computing experience by providing reliable, high-performance products.

mushkinmidnight.jpg

Mushkin USB Turbo Flash Stick - Midnight Series - MKNUFDMN32GB

Specifications:

Capacity: 32 GB

Read up to: 40 MB/s

Write up to: 30 MB/s

Interface: USB 2.0

Plug & Play under: Windows 7, Vista, XP,

Linux 2.4 or later, MacOS 9, X or later

Warranty: 2 Years Limited

Packaging & Build Impressions

dsc01881t.jpg

dsc01890q.jpg

The drive comes in a nice little blister package, which is of a flip open type. So no more cutting yourself off when trying to open those hard blister packages. Though slightly less secure, it's much easier to open.

The contents are pretty much limited to the Midnight Turbo Drive and a small sheet which contains the serial number for the TurboFlash
software included in the drive.

dsc01896g.jpg

dsc01892.jpg

dsc01895y.jpg

dsc01898q.jpg

The Drive in itself is solidly built. It has a metal housing which provides the sturdiness, with a matte black finish and a nice little Mushkin logo on it. Also it has a small green plastic cap. Unfortunately, there is no space for putting the cap on the back of the pendrive, so it's pretty easy to lose it. Overall, the drive is built extremely well.

Here are some dark shots of teh Flash Drive with the Green LED Light on top glowing away in all it's glory.

dsc01902b.jpg

dsc01905s.jpg

Included Software

turboboost.jpg

Now here is where the fun begins. The Midnight Turbo series flash drives have a software included on the drive, called TurboFlash. Installation for the first time requires the use of the Serial Key mentioned before, and takes just a few minutes to complete.

(Windows 7 x64 users may need to download an update here before installing - http://filestore.mushkin-emea.com/Software-Tools/USB-Flashdrive/TurboFlashUsb_Mushkin.rar)

Once installed, the software launches itself, and as we can see, is set on Turbo mode by default. There is also an option to remove the drive safely from this GUI itself.

So does this software add anything to the performance ? Let's see next. On to the benchmarks.

Benchmarks

The bench system used was

• Intel i7-930 @ 4.2Ghz
  • Gigabyte GA-EX58A-UD7
  • Lian-Li PC-A77F
  • WD Raptor 74GB
  • 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7 RAM
  • Microsoft Windows 7 x64

I used the following software's for benchmarking the drive.

• ATTO Disk benchmark v 2.46
  • CrystalDiskMark v 3.0
  • Custom file transfer tests using TeraCopy

Results

ATTO 2.46

atto1.jpg

Amazing display by the drive. The write speeds were close to 30-33MB/s across the filesizes and the Reads reaching as high as 43-44MB/s. Seriously one of the fastest drives I have ever used.

CrystalDiskmark v3.0

crystaldm.jpg

Once again, the Sequential and even the 512k Read speeds break the 40MB/s barrier without the drive breaking a sweat. On the other side, the Seq. Write speeds top out at a whopping 34MB/s. The 4k speeds are comparatively faster than most drives out there too.

HDTune 4.50 Pro benchmark

hdtunev.jpg

Once again the drive shows its true colours in the Read test in HDTune Pro. Average Read speeds of around 37.6MB/s are amazing.

Real World Transfer Speeds

Now to the end user, synthetic benchmarks are well, just synthetic. What we really care about are real world speeds. When it comes to real world transfers, many amazing drives come out as just average drives. Let's see if the Midnight 32GB UFD can beat the competition.

A constant file size of 2215MB was kept across the tests and the time taken as shown in TeraCopy was used to mark the speeds.

WRITE | Default FAT32 | Turbo FAT32 | Default NTFS | Turbo NTFS Time(s) | 77.74 | 66.47 | 79.45 | 66.70

Speed(MB/s) | 28.49 | 33.32 | 27.88 | 33.21

READ | Default FAT32 | Turbo FAT32 | Default NTFS | Turbo NTFS Time(s) | 69.45 | 57.92 | 71.23 | 60.22

Speed(MB/s) | 31.89 | 38.24 | 31.10 | 36.78

So the TurboFlash software does work. We can see a jump from ~28MB/s Writes to a whopping 33.3MB/s when Turbo mode is enabled. As for the READ's, you can see a nice jump there too from around 32MB/s to 38MB/s. And the best part is , unlike many other drives, the speed is consistent between FAT32 as well as NTFS partitions.

On to the conclusion.

Conclusion

The Mushkin Midnight Turbo Flash Drive proved one thing, it's bloody fast. It's built well too, as expected from a manufacturer like Mushkin. Overall the perfect buy for someone looking for a large capacity Flash Drive with blazing speeds. Though you need to use the proprietary TurboFlash software to unlock the maximum speeds, the drive works brilliantly without it too, albeit just a bit slower. The drive is available in 16GB and 32GB capacities. The 16GB drive is available for Rs 3450/- and the 32GB one for Rs 6450/-, so they are not exactly cheap. But then again, they are that fast too :hap2:.

I would like to thank the Mushkin Enhanced team, especially Sean , as well as my good friend Naga for helping me in reviewing such an amazing product.

This is my first proper review of any product, and i am pretty sure there are many things i could have done better. So do pour in you feedback as well. Appreciation and Criticism are both welcome. :)

Cheers !

^^^ Mate you could have appreciated without quoting the "entire" review :|

@Phoenix: Good job mate. Though I wont call it unbiased but still a good buy nevertheless. I feel that 2 years warranty is a tad insufficient

We can see a jump from ~28MB/s Writes to a whopping 33.3MB/s when Turbo mode is enabled. As for the writes, you can see a nice jump there too from around 32MB/s to 38MB/s.

you quoted a 5 MB/s jump as whopping but a 6 MB/s jump as just nice. Just pointing out something that you may like to correct :)

motorheadinc said:

@Phoenix: Good job mate. Though I wont call it unbiased but still a good buy nevertheless. I feel that 2 years warranty is a tad insufficient

you quoted a 5 MB/s jump as whopping but a 6 MB/s jump as just nice. Just pointing out something that you may like to correct :)
:) and shouldn't that 6Mb/s be the READ SPEED and not WRITE SPEED all over again?
I recollect you had a long day yesterday.

motorheadinc said:

Thanks :) Most drives are pretty sufficient enough when it comes to the READ's. It's the WRITES that matter for the most of us. So another boost in the Write's over the already impressive one was a bigger thing in my opinion. :)

and shouldn't that 6Mb/s be the READ SPEED and not WRITE SPEED all over again?

I recollect you had a long day yesterday.

Corrected now :p

Good review for a Flash Drive..

Would've gotten one if I wasn't so careless handling these. :/

Slightly expensive, but probably the fastest one out there.

motorheadinc said:
@Phoenix: Good job mate. Though I wont call it unbiased but still a good buy nevertheless.

Biased as in? False test speeds? Photoshopped screen shots? Conclusions? Suggesting non-specific bias might be misconstrued. Please point out clearly what you think is biased so the reviewer can respond properly and/ or correct his review..

On to the review, good effort from PhOeNix. And, lol, the only help I gave you in this review is that I bugged you endlessly for these drives :p!

It's bloody fast, but a quick reference to how fast it is compared to others would save some members a little googling on the subject (maybe links to other reviews). I've been on the lookout for a high capacity pen drive with good speeds in NTFS for a long time. I was pretty disappointed with the Corsair GTs which lost their edge with NTFS. I mean what's the point of a high capacity drive if it's limited to a 4GB file size? Even on Fat, the GT speeds were pathetic compared to these. While I couldn't find any reviews of the newer Voyager GTRs using NTFS, FAT32 speeds seem to be lower than the Mushkins. Also picked up on some chatter at the Corsair support forums of lower than expected write speeds in NTFS, so I guess I'll be sticking with this.

I just did a quick test on a Buffalo HD-PV500U2 500GB USB HDD, and a 3.31GB file copy to and from the drive to my SSD showed 29 MB/s both ways in teracopy. PhOeNix, pls send me my 2 32GB drives asap :p!

Naga said:
Biased as in? False test speeds? Photoshopped screen shots? Conclusions? Suggesting non-specific bias might be misconstrued. Please point out clearly what you think is biased so the reviewer can respond properly and/ or correct his review..

On to the review, good effort from PhOeNix. And, lol, the only help I gave you in this review is that I bugged you endlessly for these drives :p!

It's bloody fast, but a quick reference to how fast it is compared to others would save some members a little googling on the subject (maybe links to other reviews). I've been on the lookout for a high capacity pen drive with good speeds in NTFS for a long time. I was pretty disappointed with the Corsair GTs which lost their edge with NTFS. I mean what's the point of a high capacity drive if it's limited to a 4GB file size? Even on Fat, the GT speeds were pathetic compared to these. While I couldn't find any reviews of the newer Voyager GTRs using NTFS, FAT32 speeds seem to be lower than the Mushkins. Also picked up on some chatter at the Corsair support forums of lower than expected write speeds in NTFS, so I guess I'll be sticking with this.

I just did a quick test on a Buffalo HD-PV500U2 500GB USB HDD, and a 3.31GB file copy to and from the drive to my SSD showed 29 MB/s both ways in teracopy. PhOeNix, pls send me my 2 32GB drives asap :p!
LOL two 32gb sticks??? Really??? u got to be kidding me.

Good review. But it would have been good if you could compare performance without Turboflash. There are few souls here who dont use windows :)

Have done that :p If you see the table, there are two options, Default FAT32 and Default NTFS which is without TurboFlash., and Turbo FAT 32 and Turbo NTFS, which are with TurboFlash. Posting it again here.

WRITE | Default FAT32 | Turbo FAT32 | Default NTFS | Turbo NTFS Time(s) | 77.74 | 66.47 | 79.45 | 66.70

Speed(MB/s) | 28.49 | 33.32 | 27.88 | 33.21

READ | Default FAT32 | Turbo FAT32 | Default NTFS | Turbo NTFS Time(s) | 69.45 | 57.92 | 71.23 | 60.22

Speed(MB/s) | 31.89 | 38.24 | 31.10 | 36.78

mod_to_odd said:
LOL two 32gb sticks??? Really??? u got to be kidding me.
Really :)! One for a friend and one for me.

@haider_up32 below, if you know where we can get reliable USB 3 drives at these prices, I'd be very thankful if you share the info.

USB 3 will be better and faster...

As it will go easily upto 80MB/s...

Also in Rs.3500 We can get 1TB internal drives...

Really costly pendrives...

they are not yet available in india but that would not be the case forever

on GEB 16GB ones are for 4K (GEB normally has 10-15 % discount most of the time)

Back