must visit places in calcutta/gangtok/darjeeling

hi guys..
im going for an IV to the above places...10 day trip...
have never been to any of these places before...
would like some suggestions on what-not-to-miss places, other specialities etc..

thank you

You should take a drive down from Darjeeling to a small town called Kalimpong.Its an excellent drive through windy mountain roads.Just check out all the local scenery.Visit some of the farms, schools etc.

nice ...i did that last year ... will tell you in detail ... for now go upto India mike forums and read up on it ...and decide whether you want to go to nathula pass and check the chinese or the frozen lake ....

^^Tsomogo lake :D

Its near gangtok. Another gr8 place is YumThang valley and although not very recommended jus coz of sheer amt of travel bt still a very very b'ful place . Man its so very b'ful in winters that u need to see it to believe it.
Also nathu-la pass is worth a visit n must see if u wana play with lots of snow and is very near to gangtok while yumthang is arnd 7 hrs drive from gangtok.
Also dont forget to witness the amazing sunrise that u see from tigerhill when sun rises above the snowclad mountains, Kanchendzonga to be precise and u have clouds floating beneath u. :)

Some points from my side:

Calcutta - A strict no-no for Mumbaikars. Believe me, u will fall sick.:no: Though the temples, etc are superb (Bellurmath), the area was horrible:no: . Howrah Side is worst, where the above temple is.

But has some good areas too. like Salt lake city, science Centre, etc.

Darjeeling -

All the famous Spots like:

Tiger Hill (Kanchenjunga and Sunrise)

Coupla Monasteries.

Japanese Temple also.

A short Darjeeling Himalayan Rail (Toy Train) Ride to a Station 'X' (around 1 Hr from darjeeling, don't remember da name) & back by local taxi.

Gangtok:

lotsa places to see.

Cable car Ride.

Kanchenjunga view point.

Again few monastries, etc.

Nathula pass. (Indo-Chin Border)

But the best part:

Go to Gangtok (from Darjeeling) via Peling. Most of the crowd goes thru Kalimpong. But, Peling is Superb. Relatively Calm, and unexplored. Small Town situated on the near top of a hill. 'CLOSELY' Surrounded by Green-top mountains on all sides. Very Quiet. Offers the closest view of kanchenjunga. Has the South Asia's highest/Biggest/longest hanging Bridge (something like that...) which is a kinda hair-raising experience. Lotsa BIG waterfalls nearby.

Also, if u have some days left, go to either Gurudongmar (Heaven on Earth, at 17k feet) or proceed to Bhutan. (VISA on the spot. another beauty!!) ;)

PM me for more. I have some Word Docs of that as well.

Regds,

Rutvij.

Bah, you could either do all the tourist traps, or else do the trip of a lifetime by going to North Sikkim

Depending on the weather conditions, you may be able to make it all the way to Gurudongmar lake at 17000 feet, and if your lungs are strong enough, you may be able to trek all the way up till the famed Tso-Lhamu lake from there

Of course, if Gurudongmar is inaccessible, you could go uptil the (relatively more toouristy) yumthang valley

I had posted a travelogue long back @-> Superczar in Sikkim

Back