Audio Mx5021 burnt out ? Need help

chetansha

Skilled
Last night heavy winds, lightning and thunder screwed up my happiness. My lovely MX 5021 would turn on but no sound. Decided to open and check , and this is what I found. Kinda stinks too when I sniffed. Transforms and speakers seem OK.
What are my options now?

Attachments

• 1382265957373.jpg
    1382265957373.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 475
  • 1382265973450.jpg
    1382265973450.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 412
@pr0ing thanks for the reply. I will be taking the speaker to the guy who repairs my mobo's and stuff. As i can see the PCB seems kaput. It will be helpful if you can send me pics of what it looks like undamaged.

I don't see any burning marks on PCB.. Second pic shows bottom side of PCB with IC Soldering pins full of flux remaining from Chip installation (Common thing with chips) and first pic shows some decolonization of hard silicon glue.
May be Just Power amp ICs have failed or burned.. new replacement ICs will solve the issue.

I don't see any burning marks on PCB.. Second pic shows bottom side of PCB with IC Soldering pins full of flux remaining from Chip installation (Common thing with chips) and first pic shows some decolonization of hard silicon glue.
May be Just Power amp ICs have failed or burned.. new replacement ICs will solve the issue.

Hi, ty for your reply. Will take this stuff to guy later today and see what's possible. Will update later finite . Fingers crossed

Back on!!!!! Speakers working again, few ic's and what not were replaced. Total cost 1080.00 inc spares and labor.
But sound quality is not as the same as it was earlier, guess I'll have to live with it now.

ICs failed due to a high voltage surge, which also usually harms filter capacitors.. to get good quality of sound again you need to replace all the capacitors (specially electrolytic ones).
If you use good audio grade capacitors than may result in much better sound than original[DOUBLEPOST=1382586052][/DOUBLEPOST]For more please visit following link
http://jimmyauw.com/2007/03/15/inside-altec-mx5021/

ICs failed due to a high voltage surge, which also usually harms filter capacitors.. to get good quality of sound again you need to replace all the capacitors (specially electrolytic ones).
If you use good audio grade capacitors than may result in much better sound than original[DOUBLEPOST=1382586052][/DOUBLEPOST]For more please visit following link

Yep. I plan to let it run as it is for now, and change them all next time around -'will follow this blog (and trouble you, in case I need expert help :) )

Guys,
I have an Altec MX5021 with a blown board. Can I use the satellites and subwoofer with a different amplifier that would work in tandem with the 3 speaker components?

Guys,
I have an Altec MX5021 with a blown board. Can I use the satellites and subwoofer with a different amplifier that would work in tandem with the 3 speaker components?

Yes it is possible, i read it, cant find the link right now. BTW, can you post pics of the board , both front and back ?

Back