My 3d printing journey with my first printer

ronnie_gogs

Morphing from a Geek to a Nerd
Skilled
Haven't started a thread in a long time. So here goes something really interesting for me.

So after months of should I or shouldn't I finally caved in a bought by first 3d printer.

After looking as so many options available starting from completely DIY kits to full assembled printers , I finally decided to a go for the option most popular with decent build quality and good prints.

Wanhao Duplicator i3

V2_1_1024x1024.png

Specifications
Best ambient temperature ≥25°C
Print precision 0.1 mm(minimal)
Build size 200 X 200 X 180mm
Extruder quantity MK10 Single Extruder
Speed 10-100mm/s adjustable
Positioning accuracy Z 0.004mm,XY 0.012mm
Extruder diameter 0.4mm(customized 0.3mm/0.2mm)
Recommended extruder temperature 190-210°C( maximum can be set to 260°C)
Heating plate temperature 60-100°C( proper winter warming and summer appropriate cooling )
Power Supply Unit 110V or 220V,240W,50Hz, 0.89A
Connection via TF card or USB,SD card
Software Cura, Repitator
Accept 3D file format STL, OBJ
Printer reading format Gcode
Compatibility Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Linux, Mac OX
Certification CE, CB,
Unit weight 10kg
Printer unfolding size 400 X 410 X400mm
Printer Folding size 410 X 720 X150mm
Package size 470 X 200X780mm
Material type ABS and PLA filaments
Material specifications 1.75 mm in diameter
Material colors Wanhao Classic 40 colors .

Cost be 345 USD shipped via fedex and arrived in 5 days (Aliexpress)

First impressions
Came in a nice packaging with plastic foam.

Build quality is good. Full sheet metal construction and comes with all the necessary tools needs to start printing right away. Assembly took 10 mins as I had to attached the gantry to the main structure using 4 screws and connect the neatly marked connections to the stepper motors.

Powered right away and I tested the movement in the X, Y and Z axis.
backside.jpg

Included
Came with PLA filament
Micro SD card with Cura software and sample model
Metal spatula to remove model off plate
Allen keys to fix and tighten the bolts
Manual and quick start guide
Extra build plate surface sticker

Fully assembled

assembled.jpg

First print

Although it didnt finish the print as I had a few settings wrong but what it printed looks pretty damn good with nice details.

printed a few more things which I will add later
working.jpg
final.jpg

Issues and final thoughts

This is not a super easy just buy and works printer as there was issues which will need you to open it up and resolve the issues. The build is very simple and easy to fix. Also it has a huge community which loves this printer and designed loads of modifications for the same.

I have already ordered the following parts to upgrade the printer
1. Longer bearing blocks - http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7516878901.html?orderId=74212076227201
2. Snap rings - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...lack-Assortment-Set-With-Box/32549612727.html
3. O-rings http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...rtment-Black-for-Carfor-home/32500902944.html
4. Termination connectors http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SZS-...nal-Block-Connector-300V-16A/32603630004.html
5. Blower fan http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-1...-2-Wires-5015S-Free-Shipping/32596451910.html
6. Borosilicate glass - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-...lass-Plate-For-MK2-Reprap-3D/32617538858.html

Lot of upgrades can be printed on the printer itself.

The printer its a tinkerer's dream I would say. Sample prints are coming out great. but I will have to play with different material to truly grasp the concept and get better with it.
Ordered 4 kg of ABS and PETG material to play around with it.

Last edited:
Nice purchase for home. Now go around printing cool things.
I saw some commercial 3D printer recently costing 1+ crore and its amazing what these things can print and accurately to the minute details.
Not sure what the future holds for home usage but for commercial and business, it will explode once popular in India.

Nice and congrats.

Lot of upgrades can be printed on the printer itself.
That seems to be the best part. ;)

Tell something more about it. How's the build quality of the final product? How's overall design experience?
What kind of experience is needed for designing ?

A good commercial printer can quite expensive. Loads of different techniques are there to 3d print. This is FDM. Then there is SLA which is using laser to chemical reactive to light which has very high resolution of few microns. Also powder based printers.

This printer solves 2 of my interests first of course if 3d printing 2nd is understand to CNC machines. This FDM printer is a basically a CNC using g-code machine moving in x,y and z axis. I have worked on personal projects involving steppers and servos but never really got around to making a fully functioning CNC router. At 345 USD this is super cheap. Will update the thread with prints I complete.

I have a few development boards which can serve as good controllers for a CNC router which I plan to print on this machine. I have a Xilinx FPGA board, arduinos and SBC like raspberry pi and a beaglebone black. As maker hobbyist this is a absolute pleasure to own a 3d printer. Spent whole weekend playing with this. :cool:

Tell something more about it. How's the build quality of the final product? How's overall design experience?
What kind of experience is needed for designing ?

The 3d printing world has a huge community now. It doesn't matter if you no design experience with solid works and CAD cause you can download designs made by others and print them.
https://www.thingiverse.com/ is great place to look for designs.
Also if some one is actually buying 3d printer i assume they would like to learn 3d design but starting with already made designs is good starting point.

The first printer i used was at hackerspace to print a case for a friend's project which fascinated me.

Example of simple easy way on how to print from others design.

Last edited:
@ronnie_gogs have u found any source to get .5 , .6 & 1mm nozzle for mk10 print head ??
Default .35mm is pretty hard to get first layer first. Even with 200mm wide kapton tape

Great another person with the same printer I like the filament guide. Is it printed ? can you share the link if it is. :)

Yeah I have been having issue with the first layer. things i tried. Glue works ok with PLA as bed is it 60 C but when i do ABS the bed is 100-110 so it dries up and its just a slippery surface. Masking tape works fine in most cases. Did you try the hair spray method ?

I think the default is 0.4mm nozzle. As i bought 0.4mm drill bits which fit well to clear clogs. Going for bigger nozzle would spoil the print quality I believe. But will make the print a bit faster.

I find playing with settings helps quite a bit. Whats your main slicer now ? I am using cura and sometimes simplify3d

I bought 2 boxes of these. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Good...rint-0-4mm-Drill-3-175-Shank/32455538026.html

Last edited:
Yes the filament guide is printed but it doesn't improve filament delivery. Here's the link for guide
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1050924

I bought this printer to print my designs from 3d cad models but issues with first layer adhesion are pain. PLA works better then abs for sure.
I wanted to go for bigger nozzle because of thick first layer which can ensure adhesion.

M on simplify3d, can u share ur printer profile/settings of simplify3d ?
Is urs a lic version ?

M planning to upgrade my printer with auto-bed levelling to get descent adhesion on stock nozzle .( I've even tried to level my print bed with 0.1mm precision feeler gauge )

Thanks for the link with give it a shot this weekend.

Would be against TE guidelines to talk about my simplify3d version :p. I am just getting the feel of it for now to see if it works. 150 USD quite a price. Cura works great though. I am still getting the hang of simpify3d as the printer arrived last thursday. Downloaded someone else's config file for i3.

Did you get the glass bed for your printer. I ordered borosilicate glass which should help with the adhesion as I can remove the glass and prep it for printing. Waiting for delivery of that.

For bed leveling I plan on the installing washers and replacing the wing nut to marked nuts printed as then I can see if mark them.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:874155

How to get auto bed leveling for this printer. Care to share the guide if you have it.

M using standard local made glass ..... Where r u getting ur borosilicate glass from ???

Di3 is based on Melzi board & custom repetier firmware according to hardware configuration ...... Like stepper steps/Rev ..... Travel , PID ....... Once u take backup of ur existing eeprom data with pronterface or something u can tweak it with new firmware

But one thing u should check is ..... On eeprom settings steps/Rev for z axis is wrong in Di3's don't know if fixed in urs coz urs seems to be V2

Oh I have linked all the upgrades I ordered on the first post. Everything was ordered off aliexpress. They has some sale going last week. Will have to check the firmware. Its the V2 version so a lot of issues of the first version were corrected. Yours ver 1 ?

Yep mine was a V1 & had its rotary encoder switch non functional at delivery ..... I bought from a Indian seller ........ Who refused to fix it ....... Ordered some spares he was selling & turned out that they were not compatible with Di3 [emoji57]. I returned back all spares but he never refunded back .
After that I never used it again. My older DIY juggad type 3d printer works flawless till date.
Worst thing is they don't supply u firmware to reflash instead force u to buy a new board

That sucks. The older v1 had a major issue which is why a recall happened. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/wanhao-printer-3d/ZXzxdP9SUlU

These are the upgrades since version 1
- Z-motor dampening bumpers
- Double z-axis end-stop holes for different bed surfaces
- Double filament holder holes (Electric Box & Frame Top)
- Buildtak printing sheet now included
- Z-Axis end-stop bracket moved from rail to frame
- Heating core crimp moved further back to fix short/fire hazard during operation
- New packaging (2 part frame tower)
- New Melzi board (new stepper motor cable/connectors)
- Electronic housing cooling fan now included
- Larger slot for mini SD card
- Drag chain for rear cables now installed

Can you share your DIY version. I always have been interested in building a router but never managed to getting around and building one. Really interested to seeing your design.

I have almost all those upgrade in my printer too except for the new tapered control box. May be is pre v2 version with old cabinet design
Image1460541606.298559.jpg

Not sure what the future holds for home usage but for commercial and business, it will explode once popular in India.
Think of getting photocopies made. Once a company offers their service you just send a design and pay for it.

I can't think of a reason to have something like that at home unless you have a way to make it pay for it self.

All i see online are these toys people make. is that it.

What are the compelling reasons to have something like this. You can tinker with lots of things.

Once I can save some money, I will definitely buy this. When I was in college, used to work on lots of DIY projects. I could have had used it to create custom enclosures.

Think of getting photocopies made. Once a company offers their service you just send a design and pay for it.

I can't think of a reason to have something like that at home unless you have a way to make it pay for it self.

All i see online are these toys people make. is that it.

What are the compelling reasons to have something like this. You can tinker with lots of things.

Well I have registered a website just in case I wanna start a small store offering prints for a price. If I can recover my cost for the machine which was 375 USD it would be good. Already have friends who have offered to pay for prints for their projects and I am currently looking to print frames for a Quadcoptor for one such project. I am also a lot into RC stuff which i shared in TE before with model helicopters, nitro buggies, quadcopters and model planes.

Regarding reasons for a having this at home, well I am a tinkering geek with a mini lab so to speak with things not found in many homes such as digital oscilloscope, a signal generator, soldering station, multiple multi-meters, lab power supply, multiple dev boards, a big powder fire extinguisher in case I do something stupid :p etc. This is definitely fits perfectly with rest of my things. In fact this printer is far less expensive than lot of my test gear.

A a technology enthusiast this technology although not new is gaining quite a momentum past few years. Its exciting to learn something new. During engineering I used to spend sleepless nights building machines for robot competitions across various tech fests. Oh what I would have given to have this machine back then. Always had people finding my things "interesting" :watching: but that comes as package deal of being a geek.

$375 ? At that price you play all you want. ones i was watching reviews for were a lakh+ when i looked a couple of years back so lost interest.

How long will this unit be good. Isn't the tech still maturing.

Regarding reasons for a having this at home, well I am a tinkering geek with a mini lab so to speak with things not found in many homes such as digital oscilloscope, a signal generator, soldering station, multiple multi-meters, lab power supply, multiple dev boards, a big powder fire extinguisher in case I do something stupid :p etc. This is definitely fits perfectly with rest of my things. In fact this printer is far less expensive than lot of my test gear.

A a technology enthusiast this technology although not new is gaining quite a momentum past few years. Its exciting to learn something new. During engineering I used to spend sleepless nights building machines for robot competitions across various tech fests. Oh what I would have given to have this machine back then. Always had people finding my things "interesting" :watching: but that comes as package deal of being a geek.
This is how new tech is born. people messing around.

Last edited:
Back