My 3d printing journey with my first printer

$375 ? At that price you play all you want. ones i was watching reviews for were a lakh+ when i looked a couple of years back so lost interest.
How long will this unit be good. Isn't the tech still maturing.

Thats is why I was holding to buy a 3d printer. Last year this was the price of a DIY kit made of acrylic which is not at all structurally strong and also need a lot more tweaking. This was the cheapest printer which has a big community behind it and made of sheet metal and provides a decent documentation. These printers are all FDM Fused deposition modeling. Good and popular model in this tech is the ultimaker 2 which costs like 2.5k euros. But at core its the same. Not sure how long the tech will be good but I don't see an issue with this becoming obsolete fast compared to other tech.

Then you will have other tech like SLA using laser and light sensitive resin costing min 7k USD. Then comes even more expensive industrial printers costing 50k+. So like a camera market there seems to a wide variety of printers suiting all needs.

[OT] @ronnie_gogs Does the fire extinguisher need annual maintenance? Or is it buy once and use anytime?
Is there any online store where I can get a fire extenguisher?

Funny you ask that as I work as a maintenance planner for oil rigs. Well for fire extinguishers there is a certification date on the cylinder. Also there is a pressure gauge which shows if the pressure is right to be used. Normal life of a extinguisher is around 5 years+. In industrial scenario you do a inspection every year to see if pressure is ok and body has any wear. But as long as the pressure is fine and its re certified it can be continued to be used. I bought it in Singapore so no idea what is the price in India and how to source it.

Thats is why I was holding to buy a 3d printer. Last year this was the price of a DIY kit made of acrylic which is not at all structurally strong and also need a lot more tweaking. This was the cheapest printer which has a big community behind it and made of sheet metal and provides a decent documentation. These printers are all FDM Fused deposition modeling. Good and popular model in this tech is the ultimaker 2 which costs like 2.5k euros. But at core its the same. Not sure how long the tech will be good but I don't see an issue with this becoming obsolete fast compared to other tech.
Right, now that's close to 2 lakhs, saw reviews for printers in this price range a year back and people were raving about it.

By how long it will be good i mean, structural strength of whatever you print is desirable.
You want durablity. eg, some plastic thing breaks in whatever gadget you are using, could you make one yourself when there is no hope of ever getting a replacement. After so many years of talking electronics we're back again into the world of atoms. Custom made.

There are all sorts of plastics out there. I don't know how the composition of those plastics will evolve. So was wondering how adaptable this printer will be to different kinds of plastics. Will something new require another printer with a different way of printing etc.

Are there certain designs that are not possible with this printer and only a more expensive one will do. Or are we talking about finish. Maximum printing size i suppose is the biggest consideration.

Why pay lakh+ when you can get away with under Rs.30k (!)

How do these companies justify the higher asking price ? ease of use, more features, customisability etc.

Then you will have other tech like SLA using laser and light sensitive resin costing min 7k USD. Then comes even more expensive industrial printers costing 50k+. So like a camera market there seems to a wide variety of printers suiting all needs.
This is where the business case needs to be made. But you have to start somewhere and what you have looks like a suitable entry into 3d printing.

What do you want to print with it :)

Last edited:
Awesome! Congrats! Am always tempted to get one of the cheaper entry level printers but I don't coz I really have no use for it except satisfying curiosity! :p

So, will you print stuff for us and ship if we pay your charges? :D

Loads of filaments are available now. PLA, ABS being the most common. Then you have PETG which is very strong. Flexible filaments for making things like phone cases. Wood mixed filaments, metal mixed filaments. As long the printer extruder can handle the temperature most can be used. Although every filament needs a different setting for the printer which can only be found by trail and error. Some expensive printers have filaments from the OEM of the printer which are guaranteed to work. Like some have chips built in the filament roll for the printer to auto preset the settings.

Expensive printers you will get more reliability in terms of build quality, print quality, print speed, auto bed leveling, better support, software bundles., build volume, electronics and control.

There have been lot of kickstarter campaigns which promised a lot and never delivered. I like to buy things which have a proven track record also.

@Neo-N Well I plan to do prints for a price but I stay in Singapore. maybe you should ask @attrish as he has this printer and another printer too.

Well there are lots of online store's from Delhi who deals in 3D printing for very cheap..... Just upload ur own design or choose whatever is available & then what material u want ....... It will give u the exact price , pay it online n ur done just like any other e commerce

Well there are lots of online store's from Delhi who deals in 3D printing for very cheap..... Just upload ur own design or choose whatever is available & then what material u want ....... It will give u the exact price , pay it online n ur done just like any other e commerce

Thanks! Could you pls share links of a few reliable ones? I haven't found any... :(

Back