OC & Modding My new 24x7 overclock....

KiD0M4N

Skilled
Hey guys,

Very few times I have been so truely amazed by a piece of hardware. First such amazement was at the DFI Ultra-D motherboard. It was a gem of a motherboard... and allowed the tweaker in me to go full out. I had spent many many nights just playing with the settings and trying to see how each affected performance/stability.

Second such amazement was at C2D processor. I was amazed how Intel came up with such a gem of a CPU and totally caught AMD off guard. When I purchased my second E6600 (the one I am using right now), I got a blessed chip. Even though it runs hotter than most of the other E6600 by a mile.. (10C on average.) it clocks equivalently good. It ran SuperPi 1M at 4050Mhz when the idle temparatures were touching 60C. Thats a accomplishment in itself. If I treated this to some Dice (who knows :p) this will fly.

And the subject of this thread: my new motherboard, the P5W DH Wifi/Deluxe.

I was lucky to get one of the better clocking ones (450+ Mhz FSB w/o mods.) The vdroop is also minimal and it clocks RAM like hell (not Mhz wise, but sheer tightness of the timings... more on this later.)

It has recovered from each and every failed overclock with a simple "power-off-power-on." I dont even need to power down the motherboard (from the PSU) to get it to recover. Just turn it off from the power switch (ATX) and turn it back on. That does it easy.

And now because of the motherboard I nearly saved my self 3-4k because now it enabled me to take my 24x7 overclock up from 3.6Ghz (400x9 1:1) to 3.8Ghz (423x9 1:1 3-3-3-5)

I was going to change my CPU to a B or a F batch CPU hoping to find a better ocing one... but that would have been a mistake I guess (in retrospect.) Yes the temparatures are a bit naught... but I can live with that. And with C1E and SpeedStep enabled... they are much more tolerable. And I am not that concerned about it anyways, because I plan to retire this CPU into my download b**ch rig in the next round of upgrades...

Ok enough jaberring.... lets go to the money shot:

Verdict: I truely recommend the P5W DH to everyone. It has every essence of being a b**ching powerful 24x7 motherboard without a boat load of bugs to go with it. It has the features when you need them (Wifi + remote + dual lans, etc) and the stability is just amazing.

Regards.

Karan

Exellent choice with the board Karan. That is a truly awesome board, rock stable, full of nifty features,and the remote (deserves a separate mention), it made life so much easier.

And a nice overclock man. :cool2:

You removed the covers form the chipset heatisnks na?

H@rsh said:
Exellent choice with the board Karan. That is a truly awesome board, rock stable, full of nifty features,and the remote (deserves a separate mention), it made life so much easier.

And a nice overclock man. :cool2:

You removed the covers form the chipset heatisnks na?

Yup the covers went the first day.

Vignesh said:
Nice oc karan. What is the vcore like?

Vcore is like 1.52V idle. Droops to 1.5V real on load.

I guess hes set 1.54 in the BIOS.

AFAIK, When I was there, .2 was the vDroop..

His IDLE temp. is 50C and Load is 56C. (Temps @ 12 Noon)

Aditya said:
I guess hes set 1.54 in the BIOS.

AFAIK, When I was there, .2 was the vDroop..

His IDLE temp. is 50C and Load is 56C. (Temps @ 12 Noon)

Like he said.. .But bios is set to 1.575V as the vdroop increases with increasing Vcore set. I am going to do the Vdroop mod (all soft mods :p) and set things right. Should drop temparatures 3-4C.

Just scored shade less than 50K on 3DMark01 with GPU at stock and no optimizations.... feels good :)

That load temparature is not TAT thought... that is 3dMark06. TAT is closer to 60-62C.

I am working on a article on this basically.... lets see how it pans out.

The ram is as tight as it gets :p Big difference between doing a 3-3-3 on a 965 or a 680i platform and doing it on a P5WDH !

Back