Audio My new Hifi room

Chaos

Skilled
Well I moved into a larger apartment a month ago and now my audio setup has a room dedicated to it. Thought I'd share a couple of pics.

Config:

Usher Be-718 + RWS-729 stands
Audiozone DAC-1 Non oversampling DAC
EMU 1212M Digital Source
Technics SL-B2 Turntable + Shure M97XE Cartridge
Lyrita Audio Tube Preamp
McCormack DNA-125 Power Amp

Usher Rapport Pure Silver Interconnects
Ridge Street Audio Pure Silver Digital Audio Cable
Goertz Alphacore Veracity MI-2 Speaker Cables

The room now needs a few bass traps behind the speakers and a nice looking low equipment rack. I like the room to sound a bit live and not dead with treatment. Tried positioning the speakers up front or totally back, there was no noticeable boom either way. So put it as far back as possible to get a larger soundstage.

Cheers

As bottle said.

Nice setup though :). I am not a sound person but recently i had the opportunity to listen to the two of the superczar setups and those things are mad. I am sure this one is equally bad :D

Errm Chaos what's that thin copper-like cable going to those speakers apart from the inter-connects? :ashamed:

Nice room. When's the Panasonic PV80D making into this room or perhaps you've a dedicated HT room for that setup knowing its you. :lol:

Nice-O :)

I see you got the white 718s, i had those too. Much prettier than the black ones. Looks like chocolate.

Gannu, that *is* the speaker cable, the black wire is probably power. Those are Goertz, as Chaos mentioned.

Gannu said:
Errm Chaos what's that thin copper-like cable going to those speakers apart from the inter-connects? :ashamed:

Nice room. When's the Panasonic PV80D making into this room or perhaps you've a dedicated HT room for that setup knowing its you. :lol:

Thats the speaker cables I'm using currently. I wasn't a big believer in top dollar speaker cables until I heard these.

Alpha-Core Speaker Cable HT, MI, & AG

I'm not getting the panasonic. After several comparisons, I'm convinced its color reproduction is not entirely accurate - Oversaturated greens are the biggest problem. Yet to decide what to buy and it definitely won't be in the same setup as this one. This one is for pure stereo music and can't be polluted with HT duties :p.

cranky said:
Nice-O :)

I see you got the white 718s, i had those too. Much prettier than the black ones. Looks like chocolate.

Gannu, that *is* the speaker cable, the black wire is probably power. Those are Goertz, as Chaos mentioned.
^Oh. I remember I'd pulled out those *phat* black interconnect when it was supposed to be threaded. Chaos was all angry on me for a second. :ashamed:

flower pots

don't have the required height. For the trap to work, it has to be of comparable dimensions to the wavefront, at least half the wavelength. It will present no resistance if it is much smaller than that. So you you something of about 2.5-3 meters at least, which is ceiling height. Of course it should be that size in both dimensions but that is not practical.

In the absence of acoustic foam, create round pallets of open-cell soft bedding foam by rolling them up and tying them together with string (can be fancy string), and place vertically at room corners. This will get you 2 meters, reasonable enough for a room that size. should be around 500 bucks/roll at your local bedding store, and you can match a cover with your furnishings. Not fancy, but should work.

What kind of reflection control do you have on the back wall and the front wall? Some soft furnishing would help, or a CD rack/bookcase if you prefer it a little more lively.

Looks goood! :D

Can't wait to demo the setup, I've heard those Usher's and my god that soundstage is absofrickinlutelygigantigous!

cranky said:
don't have the required height. For the trap to work, it has to be of comparable dimensions to the wavefront, at least half the wavelength. It will present no resistance if it is much smaller than that. So you you something of about 2.5-3 meters at least, which is ceiling height. Of course it should be that size in both dimensions but that is not practical.

In the absence of acoustic foam, create round pallets of open-cell soft bedding foam by rolling them up and tying them together with string (can be fancy string), and place vertically at room corners. This will get you 2 meters, reasonable enough for a room that size. should be around 500 bucks/roll at your local bedding store, and you can match a cover with your furnishings. Not fancy, but should work.

What kind of reflection control do you have on the back wall and the front wall? Some soft furnishing would help, or a CD rack/bookcase if you prefer it a little more lively.

Hm... interesting thoughts. So looks like there's no way to avoid traps. How about full length acoustic curtains on the front and back walls? A friend of mine got them done for around 15k.

@stormblast: As I said - this setup is purely for music. For HT, I'll build another one when needed.

Those will be good for reflection control, but not bass traps. For the bass trap you need both size and mass, not just either. Both is probably the way to go, and the curtain can wrap over the trap to hide their bulk.

Back