My problem with Linux and any possible solutions?

random2

Adept
Hi,

I work on Linux based distributions almost everyday, but still cant come to terms with one big problem I have with it.

I work mainly on a windows based workstation with vmware running linux instances. But I would certainly want to move over to Linux as my primary desktop OS. Only one problem is stopping this. read on....

I used Ubuntu twice in the last couple of years as my desktop OS for ~8months and was pretty happy. But both times, I had a harrowing experience when the installation got corrupted due to couple of quick power cuts. I didnt loose much data as most of the work is stored remotely. But did loose some old data which could have helped me in some small things. More than the data loss, setting up the new environment was time consuming and I lost quite a bit of time.

The above issue made be move back to windows as my primary OS though more than 75% of work I do is on Linux. I never face such problems on windows and at most, I get the option of 'safe start' or 'Normal' and I can start back my work. I have fixed some related issues which occured on my virtual instances. But I had the luxury of having a browser open so that I could google out the solution and fix things. It takes quite a bit of time to setup a proper environment to do things efficiently and PITA to redo the setup from scratch.

My above experience might give you a rough idea that I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to innards of the OS and maybe few basic recovery options linux might have. Though I face this kind of situation due to power cuts, I cant do much about it and have to factor this problem in when I consider my future plans.

My query is, have others faced similar situations on Linux distributions? And for the more experienced, what would you suggest a guy like me to be equipped with (In terms of knowledge and tools) so that I can have a much better experience with Linux as my primary operating system.

Posting this as I am in the process of building a new computer for my work and want to again try using Linux as my primary OS. Any suggestions, useful links would be very helpful.

TIA
r2

My friend, I do have a UPS. But there are such instances once in around 6months to a year when due to some or the other problem, such problems occur.

in the ubuntu grub screen, there is an option to boot in recovery mode. if you do so, you can try to fix gfx issues, or filesystem errors there itself.

If the file system is so corrupted, then boot from a live CD and use it to fix the partition errors.

If still doesnt work, use the browser in the live cd to google, find the commands to fix , boot up ubuntu in recovery mode, choose root prompt, and run the commands there.

I'm also not too happy about how linux handles restarts due to power cuts :|

I think keeping a clone image of your linux installation to recover it fast in case of problems will be a safe bet. It will save you from unintended configuration changes also as a bonus.

Back