MY PS3 got YLOD what at should i do ...?

Hi alll

few days back my PS3 got YLOD..

yesterday we gave it to sony service centre and they said they will not open the system here in india , instead they will send to abroad.. ( not sure where )

my ps3 is now 2 1/2 years old ..and obviuosly out of warranty period.

as i was speaking with the service guy , he said the usual thing they do is send the system to main branch and they send a offer to the customer stating that they can get a new PS3 in exchange with half the rate.

ie i have to pay 10,000Rs as mine was a 40GB PS3 , and i am not sure whether i will get a phat PS3 or slim .. i dont want slim basically , it looks way ugly!

more over why is that they cant solve the issue for say 2500 Rs and give us the original one. also i heard is that the exchanged ps3 are refurbs.

what shall i do ?

its sony`s design fault in the first place ... for having a retarded thermal paste . what shall i do ?

i am not sure whether my parents will give me 10k to get a excahnge ps3

and this is atrociuos on Sony`s part. why cant we pay just for the things which got fried.. i mean affected parts alone ... why should we have to pay half the price... ?

help needed and fast ...

Your best bet is to open up the PS3, remove the stock goop and apply a fresh coat of TIM and reseat the heatsinks and give it a shot. You are going to need a heatgun as well. Please browse through this section. There has been a long thread on the YLOD issue and how to go about opening up the PS3 in a .pdf file.

You are going to get a refurb but mostly a phat model. Slims rarely go YLOD. At least I'm yet to come across a YLOD'd slim on the WWW.

EDIT: Here's the thread I was referring to.

thanks..

but why are we letting sony to advantage on the innocents who cant do this stuff ?

why is that we have to pay 10x time for a little job ?

shouldnt this be taken up ?

those greedy b#######

^Chillax. :p

The issue has been resloved to a great extent on the newer slim PS3 with the use of a better heatsink-fan combination. Besides, since the Cell gets a die-shrink, the heat dissipated should be considerably lesser.

OT but where are you located? If you are in Mumbai, there maybe peeps who can help you out.

Naveen_Reloaded said:
thanks..

but why are we letting sony to advantage on the innocents who cant do this stuff ?

why is that we have to pay 10x time for a little job ?

shouldnt this be taken up ?

those greedy b#######
If it's out of (and even in) warranty, then as you know, they (Sony) don't repair stuff, but replace it out rightly. So technically, they are giving a pretty good offer, if they are giving away a Slim at half the price. If the product is out of warranty and if you feel like it can be fixed at a lesser price, then why no do it locally? But that again doesn't provide you a guarantee of how long it would last.

So why take chances? Get the new one for 10k and what's wrong with getting a Slim one? Looks? You gotta be kidding me. Buddy it's cooling solution is way better than the fat models and is almost half the size. If I were you, I would pick it up straight away.

i am from tamilnadu..

but my question is this is fault on manufacture side..

lets say maruti creates a car with faulty design and they say that gives us half money we will give u a new one .... WTF ? seriuosly ?

leave about the slim ps3 . i dont want slim ,

also if there is a fault , the manufacturer should give us in detail what went wrong , and howmuch it will cost , not simply pay half price tajke a new , sorry a refurb one...that ridiculous

and there is garranty that the replaced one will live long

Ethan_Hunt said:
If it's out of (and even in) warranty, then as you know, they (Sony) don't repair stuff, but replace it out rightly. So technically, they are giving a pretty good offer, if they are giving away a Slim at half the price. If the product is out of warranty and if you feel like it can be fixed at a lesser price, then why no do it locally? But that again doesn't provide you a guarantee of how long it would last.

So why take chances? Get the new one for 10k and what's wrong with getting a Slim one? Looks? You gotta be kidding me. Buddy it's cooling solution is way better than the fat models and is almost half the size. If I were you, I would pick it up straight away.

slim looks ugly and it doesnt have otheros , with homebrew around the corner i dont want to wait for another 2 yeafs for slim to get hacked.... :no:

Naveen_Reloaded said:
i am from tamilnadu..

but my question is this is fault on manufacture side..

lets say maruti creates a car with faulty design and they say that gives us half money we will give u a new one .... WTF ? seriuosly ?

leave about the slim ps3 . i dont want slim ,

also if there is a fault , the manufacturer should give us in detail what went wrong , and howmuch it will cost , not simply pay half price tajke a new , sorry a refurb one...that ridiculous

and there is garranty that the replaced one will live long
I don't understand this logic and your analogy. If the manufacturer provides a one year warranty on the product then they will get it fixed/replaced for you if anything goes wrong. Outside of that period, they are not liable for anything. The fact that they even place you an offer like that is something as a goodwill gesture. It's the same reason why we only place so much emphasis on products that have enough warranty and once outside of it, we know the what the consequences would be if it goes kaput. Either, sell it off, try to get it fixed or let it rot.

You are simply putting the manufacturer at pedestal. It's like asking Microsoft to take your out of warranty console and ask what's the reason for RRoD and could they fix it for you? That's not going to happen. Different companies have different replacement policies. Outside warranty being the keyword here. You knew the risks when you bought the PS3 with one year warranty, right? What were your expectations once the warranty ended?

I got my Slim with 2 years extended Croma warranty, so in case anything goes wrong after one year, I won't hold Sony responsible after a year. I would approach Croma and settle things out with them for replacement procedure, as I have paid them for the extended warranty.

Naveen_Reloaded said:
Slim looks ugly and it doesnt have otheros , with homebrew around the corner i dont want to wait for another 2 yeafs for slim to get hacked....
WOW! I don't know why so much emphasis is being placed on looks when the performance is at stake. Anyway, it's your call.

i am not saying they should cover me beyind 1 year...

lets say i have a problem with coil in my fridge which will cost me 1000 Rs max , do u expect the customer to pay say half thee price of fridge instead and get a refurbed one ?

all i am saying is .. let sony take the system and see what the problem , system affected ...

if we can do the repair in home , why cant they do it and charge us accordingly ?

wouldnt a mere 1-2k Rs be enough to fix the heat issue ? i mean the thermal paste + heat blower ?

why should i pay 10 k instead ?

hope u understand...

Naveen_Reloaded said:
slim looks ugly and it doesnt have otheros , with homebrew around the corner i dont want to wait for another 2 yeafs for slim to get hacked.... :no:

Slim may look a bit different if not ugly! The console is almost half as much as the phat and is not glossy. Ah well, to each his own! But the slim has improved a lot on the cooling front, as it has been emphasized before.

As for the Otheros part, what exactly have you been into using Otheros on the PS3? I would like to know! Besides, if you thought the phat was already hacked going by George Hotz's hack posted on the web, you're going to need a lot more than just the information on that post alone! Best of luck with that.

Naveen_Reloaded said:

lets say i have a problem with coil in my fridge which will cost me 1000 Rs max , do u expect the customer to pay say half thee price of fridge instead and get a refurbed one ?

all i am saying is .. let sony take the system and see what the problem , system affected ...

if we can do the repair in home , why cant they do it and charge us accordingly ?

wouldnt a mere 1-2k Rs be enough to fix the heat issue ? i mean the thermal paste + heat blower ?

hope u understand...
My friend, Sony won't do that. They don't do that even for the consoles in warranty. They just replace it. That is how their policy works. They don't want to take the responsibility of attempting to fix it and if the problem occurs again, then you come back to them stating the repair job was shoddy.

The local stores offer it because they can make a profit out of it and have the time for it. This is why Microsoft extended their warranty to 2 more years since the hardware failure was more prominent and they couldn't loose customer base. There are very limited companies who offer repairs post the warranty has ended.

Even locally, the approximate price for fixing YLOD is around 5k. Do you really want to spend so much on it?

ok it anything easy to try first ... ?

ok if i try and sony finds that seal has been broken , will they take up the system and offer me that half the price offer ?

Naveen_Reloaded said:

hope u understand...

First of all Sony does not have any obligation to repair your PS3 after the warranty period, so its your choice whether you take up on their offer or alternatively try and get your PS3 repaired outside. They are not forcing you to shell out 10k and get a replacement from them.

Also if you believe you will get away with 2.5k if the PS3 is serviced, then you would be surprised to know that you would pay more than 10k even if they do repair the PS3. They can simply charge 10~12k for a logic board change and another 3k towards service/labor charges. They charge 2k as standard for most of their products just to open up the product and diagnose it even if you do not get it repaired after the diagnosis.

As for your fridge example check and see how many manufacturers service out of warranty products or even when they do, how many don't rip you off on the cost of spares and service charges.

I have had my bad experience with Sony even during the warranty period, but what you are asking is unreasonable.

You are lucky of them offering you a another ps3 for 10k. What is your ps3 worth currently? Nothing...

I had a Nokia cell phone which costed about 14.5k when i brought it. It went kaput after warranty period. I went to Nokia for a repair. Guess how much Nokia quoted me for repair ? 12k for the board. New one with warranty in the market at that time was 13k. I did not repair the phone and sold it part by part and managed to get around 1500 for the phone. Please go ahead and get the 10k ps3 or else you would have to sell it like I did.

correct me if i am wrong...

if u got a fried ram or harddisk , will u change the whole pc ?

i dont see the idea of getting a refurbed 10k ps3,

all iam saying is , if its just a thermal paste issue , why cant they apply it and charge us for that...

do u get the point ?

No point arguing here bro or anywhere else. I understand your frustration.

Talk to the Sony Service center guys and see if they can arrange you a 80gb phat (as your stuck on getting/using a phat only) for 10k plus the old YOLD PS3.

Or you can try the local grey market and try and get it fixed. Beware, if the warranty stickers are tampered with....sony won't entertain any claims whatsoever :(

The Hack/Homebrew that you have been referring to is still far off, as currently only an exploit has been found. God only knows as to how long it will take for an ap/bootloader/homebrew to appear. (This exploit requires you to open your PS3 and solder a few points)

At the end of day you can decide to spend 10k and get new PS3 or else add another 3k and get a 360 arcade with 1 year standard warranty + 2 years of RRoD warranty.

The ball is in your court, as they say :)

Naveen_Reloaded said:
correct me if i am wrong...

if u got a fried ram or harddisk , will u change the whole pc ?

i dont see the idea of getting a refurbed 10k ps3,

all iam saying is , if its just a thermal paste issue , why cant they apply it and charge us for that...

do u get the point ?

How do you know its just the thermal paste issue?

I think this discussion is pointless because of the following reasons:
1. If Sony don't have any such repair policy then you can't do anything, not even sue them.

2. If they are offering you something then that is also a part of their policy.

3. If you want an answer for "Why can't they do it?", then you'll not get it here. Only Sony can answer that.

4. If you think you can get a better price or deal than you're getting from Sony, then also you should not be wasting time here, you should be rather getting that deal

@naveen, these arguments will go on and on but nothing concrete will come out.. just talk to sony, get a new console and ask for the warranty i.e 1 year

u may try to get the 250gb though, u can argue with them on this..

everyone has got your point but we are not SONY.. they are..

Naveen_Reloaded said:

do u get the point ?

Well they can always do that if they choose to and then charge you 10k for the materials (TIM) and an additional 2k for service/labor charges. You would be in position to question them about it since they are not selling you the TIM in retail and so not bound by the MRP rules. Would you be fine with such an arrangement?

Back