Camera My Sad 5D Mk III Story :( Calling all engineers for help

And since you were praising sony, how much does an Xperia Z's touchscreen cost?
"In this case" sony is better because they are making the same featured body at almost half the price. and they are willing to share the mount specs to third party so that they can manufacture the adapters. The later aspect is more important than the first one. I am not saying that sony is better in terms of ruggedness or anything but at least I wont be paying premium for something that is clearly not provided. When chose the 5dmk3 the most important reason was that it was rugged use. I chose that camera so that I wont have to worry about the camera while traveling and taking pictures. If taking care of the equipment is inevitable why pay a premium? I would buy 5 sony A7 kits which retail for 1100 dollars instead of 1 canon camera which costs 5.5k?? 1 horse sized duck vs 100 duck sized horses.. get the drift?
btw, Sony has many more features compared to canons and Nikon. now if you want to argue about the picture quality... nikon uses sony image sensors and companies like lieca, ziess and voigtlander make much better lenses than canon. And the biggest thing is that you can use those lenses on Sony.

I am not disputing the fact that they are not splash proof. but The kind of environments the professional photographers take these cameras is very well known. When someone claims that the product is made for rugged usage, they should also make it repairable.

I am not making a statement that Sony is better in general, but in the camera scene, it is clearly disrupting the market monopoly.

^is there a possibility to go a legal way against the manufacturer? I've no idea, but just asking... Have you looked out? Since the user manual extracts on water damage may help bit.
I don't want to go the legal way, I checked the manual. it says if the camera is dropped in water, send it to canon. I could just talk to a lawyer and send them notices just to annoy them but I don't want to waste my energy with that. Though the judicial system is much better here but it really takes a lot time here too. I fought with the ISP here over 300 dollars and won, but it took nearly three months. I don't have that kind of patience anymore. I got over the 5k long back and its time to move on.

technically speaking the features they advertised were correct, but the thing is that canon and nikon is way too over hyped compared to other brands. Sony is little new to this field now, but in few years sony will also become canon. When sony starts asking premium for their products, then its time to switch to another brand, canon may be ;)

@booo sorry to hear this. All ads are hyped up. Many reviews are paid reviews, just like most news nowadays is. Forums are comparatively more honest.

Cameras are too delicate for untrained persons. Suggest you attempt to get it repaired in India.

If you were to do it again, would you consider getting insurance ?
that was the stupid mistake. I should've got the insurance. but I was probably a little lazy. I saw the deal and made the purchase online. It did not strike my mind that I should get an insurance for it. it was just over a month of use and bam... paperweight.

Last edited:
How would you going about doing it ? would home insurance cover it.

Am also wondering if this option even exists in India.

How would you going about doing it ? would home insurance cover it.

Am also wondering if this option even exists in India.
In US people buy device specific insurance from third party companies like Square Trade. One can also buy the same in India but don't know how easy the disbursal mechanism is when something really happens.

Last edited:
Bring it to india here people do chip level replacement. In cochin there is a service center called Asian camera center who does a good job repairing cams .

It's really sad and shocking to hear about the incident. Few things I would like to suggest,
1. I have a feeling that the lens would survive or can be repaired. You should've got it opened and cleaned asap though. But I guess still you might be able to revive the lens. Have you tried the lens on another camera? Does the manual focusing works on the lens still ? Do the aperture blades work ?OR basically nothing works on the lens?
2. The Camera might be a write-off but do try to get it to India. I had really good experience with Canon service here in India. The guys are competent and can surely fix things (for me it was for lenses only and repair costs were not that high considering these were L lenses).
3. But you will need to do it fast and as I can see already lot of time has passed. If there is salt (which I am sure there is) then it would corrode the internals like anything. But do give it a try and let us know.

Again, it's an accident and no camera equipment with so much electronics and delicate parts would survive a dunk in saline water. If it was normal water then it would've survived. I myself have fallen once on water with camera(old P&S, Canon again), it survived the dunk . In your case it's just pure bad luck to have fallen into salt water.

Sorry to hear about that.
A little off topic. I was reading somewhere and found a comparison where NIKON D750 was marked better than Canon 5DMKIII. Yet, it is almost INR 70K cheaper. I think Canon is getting costlier day by day.

I wonder, if I should switch to Nikon, when I plan to buy FF.

Edit :
Found the link

Last edited:
Back