My woes with 1.1T Sharp AH-XP13PHT

The ODU can stop working if the coolant does not need to be cooled any more.
The IDU can stop totally if the inside temperature is cool enough. The IDu stopping is a basic feature in all AC's. Normal AC's regulate temperature by doing this. They work at full blast and shut down when the set temperature has been reached. When the temperature inside rises, it starts again.
But the entire idea / concept I think is that the inverter ACs have gears which regulate the speed of the compressor and save electricity. And what about the noise the ODU makes?? Thanks for your prompt reply.

But the entire idea / concept I think is that the inverter ACs have gears which regulate the speed of the compressor and save electricity. And what about the noise the ODU makes?? Thanks for your prompt reply.
Inverter AC's can vary the speed of the motor by changing the frequency of the current applied to the motor. No need for gears.
Even though an inverter AC is not supposed to stop during operation, I think if the temperature difference is quite low, it shuts down totally for some time.
It may be a programming error too. The software which controls the feedback loop(IDU temp sensor and ODU sensor which controls the flow of coolant and the fan speed) may be buggy.

Inverter AC's can vary the speed of the motor by changing the frequency of the current applied to the motor. No need for gears.
Even though an inverter AC is not supposed to stop during operation, I think if the temperature difference is quite low, it shuts down totally for some time.
It may be a programming error too. The software which controls the feedback loop(IDU temp sensor and ODU sensor which controls the flow of coolant and the fan speed) may be buggy.
Ohkkkk.....I think I will ring up the customer service for a check up then...thanks man....I will keep you posted.

This Sharp AC is truly turning out to be a brat of an AC. I have had a gas leak and need to refill the gas, currently the pressure in the ODU is at 85psi, what should be the ideal pressure? Tomorrow morning I am having an mechanic recharge the gas any inputs on this would be helpful.

I got my split checked for leaks. The guy left around 4-6 inches of both copper pipes exposed. Out in the shaft. Will this drastically affect the function and AC operations....? No direct sunlight, falls on the exposed pipes.

^ A minor drop in efficiency. One side effect is that the exposed copper pipe tends to develop condensate which can gradually cause corrosion at the joints.

This Sharp AC is truly turning out to be a brat of an AC. I have had a gas leak and need to refill the gas, currently the pressure in the ODU is at 85psi, what should be the ideal pressure? Tomorrow morning I am having an mechanic recharge the gas any inputs on this would be helpful.
You should probably find the gas leak first. Details about pressure are usually written on the sticker on the ODU. Ideally you want the gas collected, filtered and then put back since its now contaminated.

Few years back Sharp was the most talked AC in our forum but now it has gone down to drain. Better go for Daikin or Mitsubishi heavy industry . Even carrier AC is bought by Midea which is chinese company. Our 1.0T carrier estrella still after 7 years of working consume 980Watts of power which is quite remarkable with pin drop silence on IDU and ODU. Always invest in the top brand though it cost high initially. You will get piece of mind

You should probably find the gas leak first. Details about pressure are usually written on the sticker on the ODU. Ideally you want the gas collected, filtered and then put back since its now contaminated.
Yeah, we found the leak, fixed it and vacuumed the tube and refilled the entire gas. But after refilling I find that there is sweating on the copper pipes where it connects to the ODU, the mechanic says it is normal. But I am kinda skeptical about it.

Our 1.0T carrier estrella still after 7 years of working ..... You will get piece of mind
Cant agree more! I too have the very same model bought 7 years ago and its going strong - touch wood -

Yeah, we found the leak, fixed it and vacuumed the tube and refilled the entire gas. But after refilling I find that there is sweating on the copper pipes where it connects to the ODU, the mechanic says it is normal. But I am kinda skeptical about it.

Cant agree more! I too have the very same model bought 7 years ago and its going strong - touch wood -

Yes. perfectly working unit copper tubes must sweat. If there is no sweat in the bigger tube means less refrigerant. If ice formed on the bigger tube means over filled refrigerant.
Estrella is one sweet machine, build quality is amazing once can remove the entire plastic panel in the idu in flat 5 mins. The whole evaporator coil is exposed and very cleaning friendly. It took me 1/2 day just to open our onida and LG cooling unit. Most of them use one time plastic lock tabs and you have to very careful. Even though i broke 2 tabs

Few years back Sharp was the most talked AC in our forum but now it has gone down to drain.... Always invest in the top brand though it cost high initially. You will get piece of mind

Don't know much about the current Sharp Inverter AC lineup, but my two Sharp AH-XP18MV (1.5 Tonners) inverter ACs are providing flawless service for the last 2.5 years without a single glitch. Even after heavy usage for very long hours.

My personnel feel is the primary installation of the ACs should be spot on. For most of the cases all the problems (and I may be wrong) start if the 1st time installation are not done perfectly. This is very reason why I did my 1st installation from a professional AC installer who works for commercial AC installations!!! And then I posted some images of the installation and got many positive remarks of how good it was. I believe that may be one of the primary reasons as of why I never had any issues.

I am very curious as of what defines a top brand AC? Is there even such a thing? I will be grateful if you kindly enlighten on this matter.

And then I posted some images of the installation and got many positive remarks of how good it was. I believe that may be one of the primary reasons as of why I never had any issues.

Can we see those images, too.

Also guys, what can be the reason for the AC air draft not being as cold as it should be.

Don't know much about the current Sharp Inverter AC lineup, but my two Sharp AH-XP18MV (1.5 Tonners) inverter ACs are providing flawless service for the last 2.5 years without a single glitch. Even after heavy usage for very long hours.

My personnel feel is the primary installation of the ACs should be spot on. For most of the cases all the problems (and I may be wrong) start if the 1st time installation are not done perfectly. This is very reason why I did my 1st installation from a professional AC installer who works for commercial AC installations!!! And then I posted some images of the installation and got many positive remarks of how good it was. I believe that may be one of the primary reasons as of why I never had any issues.

I am very curious as of what defines a top brand AC? Is there even such a thing? I will be grateful if you kindly enlighten on this matter.

It all boils down to the installation as you have said but it also lies behind solid and reliable engineering for reliable operation. First few years is never an issue, but as the years progress by mechanical stuff tend to fail out due to poor engineering. Compressor stuff now a days are chinese. Eg our onida uses Hilly compressor. Some people who swear by bring OG , mitsubishi from gulf. These are build more robust for the harsh heat and chennai heat is no better. Moreover AC's is more of mechanical stuff than electronic gizmo. More over daikin, OG wont release dozens of new products every year like other reputable companies. This makes them to track the product functioning record and improve upon it. Even after years and years of running carrier had zero issues except one gas leak which was happened after 3rd free service. Later it was confirmed valve joint was loose (greedy technician). No one can say the AC is running except the cool air circulates entire room. ODU is no exception just silent as from day 1. Its tough to main such quite values for long time.
My weightage to the good robust AC.
Copper IDU and ODU
Good brand and First grade compressor(Must) but no way to find out. That is why reputed brand name plays a role here. Also it avoids shooting up of power bill after few years of usage.
Easy panel removal. I give a good wash on cooling coil every year. My assumption is if you cant open the IDU body easily, its a use and throw stuff. Onida very much falls under this category.
Do you have any idea which compressor sharp use?
Every company cut cost for the profit and its important where they are cutting corners. Its a dilemma between solid work horse and ugly looking facia or flashy controls, sleek unit with cheap compressor

It all boils down to the installation as you have said but it also lies behind solid and reliable engineering for reliable operation. First few years is never an issue, but as the years progress by mechanical stuff tend to fail out due to poor engineering.

I agree. Sharp entered the Indian AC market by 2011, so nobody here have over 4 years experience over their ACs. Even though internationally they are designing & manufacturing ACs for the last 50 years. I will require another 2.5 years atleast to gauge the lasting experience over a 5 year period.

Some people who swear by bring OG , mitsubishi from gulf. These are build more robust for the harsh heat and chennai heat is no better.

Agreed. But in Calcutta, we do not require such extreme ACs as the record temp ever reached here is 44 degrees. Generally it is always below 40 degrees. For inverter ACs I have seen the trend of 46 degrees as max which they could sustain. This goes for both Sharp & General.

Moreover AC's is more of mechanical stuff than electronic gizmo.

Electronics are bound to take control over mechanical stuff. See for cars as an example. They were purely mechanical in the first place, and now a day’s these cars are stuffed to the gills with electronic controllers. But these electronics improved the efficiency & safety which we cannot omit. So it is a plus.

A purely mechanical AC may be more robust that an electronically controlled one, but it can never mimic the efficiency levels that a micro-computer controlled Electronic Pulse Linear Expansion Valve can devote to the overall efficiency of an AC. This valve has the ability to infinitely adjust the refrigerant flow which helps in drastically improving the efficiency of the desired cooling. This is impossible to do with a purely mechanical capillary. So, personally I welcome the electronic digital age.

Even after years and years of running carrier had zero issues except one gas leak which was happened after 3rd free service. Later it was confirmed valve joint was loose (greedy technician).

Good to know such a wonderful experience with your Carrier AC, but your experience does not make Carrier a top AC brand or as you said before. Same goes for Sharp, Mitsubishi, General, Hitachi, Daikin & all others. There are numerous others who are not happy with Carrier. Take my friend as an example who bought a premium 5 star Carrier split last year. His buying decision was because it uses 100% copper. He has already started to face a lot of issues starting not enough chilling capacity and now a leaked condenser.

Same goes for Sharp as depicted in this thread. Similarly for all other brands. In the end I find there are always some people who are happy with a particular brand and some others are not, all being related to their personnel experience. So for me there is no definitive top AC brand.

Every company cut cost for the profit and its important where they are cutting corners. Its a dilemma between solid work horse and ugly looking facia or flashy controls, sleek unit with cheap compressor

Every company has their own strategy. The more you pour on marketing these products for wider general recognition, the more you dump these expenses on the products you sale, invariable effecting the end customer with a higher price quote. But as a company you are able to sale to a lot more people due to higher brand recognition via advertisement hence fatter profit. I know these marketing guys are not dumb.

I remember some 2.5 years back and even now, when I go to my office (some 10 kms) I find quite a few big advertisement hoardings of Daikin, Hitachi and even General (very rare in North India). Even Mitsubishi advertise in AC buses. These expenses on a broader perspective (India as a whole) cost a lot. But amazingly I never saw a hoarding of Sharp AC. Saves them money which in return benefits their customer in having products of equal quality with a much lesser price quote. Or as I read for an online newspaper where CEO of Sharp where elaborating their marketing strategy. That was one of the main reasons why I went for them, and they where INR 15K cheaper than equivalent Daikins & Hitachi Inverter ACs.

Last edited:
my two Sharp AH-XP18MV (1.5 Tonners) inverter ACs are providing flawless service for the last 2.5 years without a single glitch. Even after heavy usage for very long hours.
Heavy usage for long hours implies the AC is functioning at at least 75% duty, for atleast 12 hours a day. At 75% duty, lets assume it consumes 1kw x 12 hrs x 30 days x Rs. 6 (guessing the per unit electricity costs for kolkatta) = Rs. 2160.
IIRC, your bills were like 100~200 Rs, with the compressor shutting off most of the time, i.e. not heavy usage.

But amazingly I never saw a hoarding of Sharp AC. Saves them money which in return benefits their customer in having products of equal quality with a much lesser price quote.
At least down south, they advertise quite a bit in the newspapers - front page too.
The Sharp website lists 2 authorised dealers in Chennai - one of which became an exclusive Panasonic store months ago. Service according to one member in team bhp is being piggy-backed on a company that services MHI units. Installation as mentioned here is sub-par, and you yourself did not trust them to install it. Doesn't look like they're saving money, but more like they do not want to put in the money.

^ Yea, i also bought a sharp MV18 which is good model but recently when i had to buy another AC i went for a daikin , the daikin installation was slightly better , they brought vaccum pump on their own , for sharp i had to register a complaint before they agreed to bring the pump .

Heavy usage for long hours implies the AC is functioning at at least 75% duty, for atleast 12 hours a day. At 75% duty, lets assume it consumes 1kw x 12 hrs x 30 days x Rs. 6 (guessing the per unit electricity costs for kolkatta) = Rs. 2160. IIRC, your bills were like 100~200 Rs, with the compressor shutting off most of the time, i.e. not heavy usage.

Usage has shot up over the roof for both ACs and also our usage patter have changed a lot over the last 2 years. So are the bills as during summer months it is always close to Rs. 3000 now. I find ACs like drug, once you are used to it you cannot live without it.

At least down south, they advertise quite a bit in the newspapers - front page too.

Good to know down South, Sharp atleast advertise on newspapers. Are they as aggressive as their competitors and do advertisement in hoardings to? Up North there is no advertisement, thus many people do not even know Sharp makes AC. Anyway I feel this was bound to happen sometime or the other. Manufacturers need to follow the path of publicity by advertisement in order to sustain growth and also to sustain in the ever crowded AC market. All wants their piece of cake.

If Sharp now follows the same path as taken up by their competitors (as I have no idea of the current market situation) then the cost of advertisement will be dumped to their end customer, and now their ACs will be more or less the same price of their competitors. I do not blame them; this is always part of the game. But those people who really did market study before buying ACs like me, will surely miss the ludicrous offers that Sharp India used to provide some 2 to 3 years back. Pity.[DOUBLEPOST=1432007399][/DOUBLEPOST]
^ Yea, i also bought a sharp MV18 which is good model….

13LV (1.1 Ton), 18MV (1.5 Ton) & 24MV (2 Ton) where simply the best Inverter ACs that Sharp ever introduced in India. High on efficiency, great built quality and completely imported from Thailand. And they were much cheaper than their competitors as Sharp was an unknown AC brand some 2.5 years back. Pity, they do not import these anymore except for 24MV.

Last edited:
Are they as aggressive as their competitors and do advertisement in hoardings to?
Hoardings are banned in Chennai.

the cost of advertisement will be dumped to their end customer, and now their ACs will be more or less the same price of their competitors ... will surely miss the ludicrous offers that Sharp India used to provide some 2 to 3 years back.
At least in Chennai, prices were higher 2-3 years back. The newer Indian built models are cheaper. Very few dealers, and just 1 authorised dealer listed on their website, limits the scope of bargaining for a good deal. XP24MV is still around 70k.

what we all referring to Made in Malaysia/Taiwan units which are pretty good irrespective of brands. After Midea purchased stakes of carrier, I wont touch it again with barge pole. Company strategy changes periodically and we need to do through market research each time taking plunge. We have a LG front load and within 4 years main motherboard gone kaput. It has pretty good reviews everywhere. SO reviews alone wont make cut. Some companies just to capture initial market gave really high quality products. When panasonic, Sharp, carrier came they were providing imported units. Now only less moving qty (2.0 T) are imported. Our Toshiba lcd tv carries 4 yrs warranty and still going strong. When I opened to clean it was sharp panel from Japan and assembled in India.

Even I have the XP13PHT and am not happy with the ODU. My grandmother has the XP13LV. It is installed in the room next to mine. The ODU runs very silently. Almost noiseless if heard from a distance of 5-7ft. But my ODU has a high pitched whine. Even I am not happy about the cooling. Though mine is not as extreme as yours, I feel that the XP13LV cooling was much more for same temperature.

I see you own both the imported Sharp (XP13LV) and the recent India made (XP13PHT), both being installed in adjacent rooms. Can you kindly elaborate your overall experience on both the ACs. Are the current Sharp's that bad that we should start consider omitting from our buying list? When you bought the XP13PHT, was it a VFM or cost the same as competitor inverter models?

I have been out for so long, I do not have the current market status so it will be very helpful if you can pour in your views. I need to help someone to buy an inverter AC, but I am not certain if we can have a go for the recent Sharp models. Will avidly wait for your response.

Back