Car & Bike National Green Tribunal (NGT) introduces blanket ban on diesel vehicles more than 10 years old

mrmash

Disciple
A recent report has shown not so impressive report on Delhi's air condition. Doing its part as a responsible authority, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has announced a blanket ban on all diesel vehicles aged over 10 years and are plying in Delhi. The World Health Organization report has declared Delhi as the world's most-polluted capital.

The decision shall have no effect on the new car sales, but it shall definitely have an effect on used diesel car sales, especially the ones that are over five or seven year old. The Delhi Police has already reportedly already confiscated about 96 diesel powered vehicles that are over 10 years old. Speaking more on the occasion, Special Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Muktesh Chander, said, “Ninety-six vehicles were impounded in compliance with NGT . Full scale drive will continue till midnight with Town Inspectors, ACPs and DCPs in the field for prosecuting errant vehicles. All entry points of Delhi is being covered.”

Source

I have an Innova which will complete 9 years in December. It is well maintained and is still serviced by Toyota. I think this ruling is unfair for a lot of people. [emoji34]

Source

I have an Innova which will complete 9 years in December. It is well maintained and is still serviced by Toyota. I think this ruling is unfair for a lot of people. [emoji34]

Precisely, if it falls well with in the emission norms prescribed by the government, it is unfair.

If you are buying a diesel car on loan for 5 yrs, it's only after 5 years you're financially benefitted by your initial investment in diesel vehicle.

Rule needs to be modified.

why dont someone build cars and suvs with Tesla technologies? Tesla said they wont pursue anyone who is infringing their patents.

When emmission norms are not enforced strictly and PUC is just a piece of paper people get to avoid fines, there is no point in banning vehicles. Even 2 year old poorly maintained vehicles will pollute. Vehicle roadworthiness should be checked every 6 months like in some developed nations. Enforcing a blanket ban is not going to help in any manner. This is just an ad-hoc knee jerk reaction by the NGT. A better thing would be to ban all private vehicles, and compulsory use of public transport. [emoji57]

Has it been convincingly proven that Petrol Vehicles pollute less than diesel vehicles? I think It's controversial and I couldn't find any document supporting this, when I checked last, may be about 6 months ago.
Any inputs?

Given the amount of purification process for Petrol and at least 30 - 40% less mileage the Petrol vehicles provide the eco friendliness of Petrol vehicles is questionable.

So now get prepare from strikes by transports authorities like trucks, tempos and buses or other public private heavy vehicles.
And it will lead to increase in costs of day to common mans commodities like vegetables to all grocery stuff....

Has it been convincingly proven that Petrol Vehicles pollute less than diesel vehicles? I think It's controversial and I couldn't find any document supporting this, when I checked last, may be about 6 months ago.
Any inputs?

Given the amount of purification process for Petrol and at least 30 - 40% less mileage the Petrol vehicles provide the eco friendliness of Petrol vehicles is questionable.

Petrol and Diesel will emit the same amount of exhaust fumes i.e. co2, co etc. but the problem with diesels is Nox and soot, which are far far higher (even with the best engines today) than anything coming out of a petrol, so while the greenhouse gas emission might be the same, you get heavy particulate pollutants that stay near the ground and will cause all sorts of health problems. Again, with SCRs etc becoming common (at least in high end cars) this is also reducing the gap between petrol and diesel.

But you are right, a net total pollution study should be done for petrol vs. diesel including vehicle manufacture ( i am not sure that petrol and diesel will have more pollution at extraction/distillation stage as they are there are products both before and after they separate out) .

I do believe this is a easy way out the government is taking, they should have just declared stringent pollution standards, and all vehicles that pass, regardless of age can ply on the streets.

Tesla -like cars are a good option, but unless we revolutionize battery tech, those will never be "mainstream" on a large scale.

Possible was to cut pollution
0) Basic decency and traffic sense on the roads - that alone will significantly improve efficiency on any vehicle
a) Modernize the bus fleet of all ST/MT organizations, and make sure
b) 100% decontrol of fuel regardless of the intl. price
c) High parking charges, possibly linked to the real estate value of the location, so that people take public transportation
d) Some sort scheme that give some distance weighted tax rebate to individuals who use cycles/walk/rollerblade to work.
e) Schoolbuses to transport the bags of the children only, the kids can ride cycles to and from the school

Last edited:
Back