Need a Food Processor

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Hi

I am looking out to buy a Food Processor & Budget is not fixed.
Open for any brand.

This is a replacement for my old Siemens Food Processor MK52000 (not sure about the model :confused:) as I have given it for repairs (problems with the motor). We used it for over 10 years. I had paid Rs 9.7k for it.

PRIMARY USE
Kneading Atta 4-5 times/week
Kheema mincing - 1/2 times a month

Idi/Dosa batter grinding
Ocassional chopping of vegetables - for salads (when guests are at home)
Usual masala (dry/wet) grinding.
Beating egg-whites for cakes (occassional & not very important)

Siemens (unfortunately) has stopped selling any form of mixer-grinder/food processor in India. I have yet to find any comparable brand who provide a very large bowl for kneading atta + the design & performance of their blades. And so will have to settle for whatever is the best available solution.

Note: Kneading atta is the main requirement
Juicer function is not required (as we already have a dedicated one)
Kneading blade arms should be of steel/metal - I feel uncertain about 'plastic', however if this is not possible, then I will go with whatever works best.

Thanks
Terry

My old Siemens Food Processor
Seimens_mk 53800L.jpeg

No clue but here is an older thread on the subject with few vauge recommendations http://techenclave.com/community/threads/suggest-a-good-food-processor.128346/#post-1601124

Thanks matey ... I ran a check on TE and came across the above thread, but it was not very helpful :banghead: ....

Strangely there is'nt any further discussion on TE on a certainly extremely important gadget - a food processor, sets me wondering :oops:
- Folks on TE never ever step into the kitchen :eek: or
- Leave it to their moms & wife to do the job :blackeye:
- too busy with the more important techie gup-shup :hungry:

Well I am a die-hard foodie and have spent 1/10th of my life in the kitchen :artist: concocting all kinds of dishes - so let's see what else comes up........ and hokey, kneading atta by hand is a pain & we have no maids or bai's at our place at all :bored:

So guys wake up & check with your mom's, wife or girlfriends - what brand of food processor are they using & especially for 'kneading atta' and how satisfied are they ?

:wtf:

Terry

Thanks @blackperl .... I will check it out

(I had almost given up all hopes of getting some feedback on this matter).

Methinks in 97.456% homes of folks on TE - Atta is kneaded by hands :oops: OR ..... TE blokes do not ever enter their kitchen (except perhaps to open the fridge for some ice-cubes ...... :cat:

if u have big family ,then these food processor is fine but for small family they prefer doing it by hands ! in my case ,we are only 3 person family and after making atta with this device ,u have to clean the jar ,which take time as u have to soak it to clean it properly !
believe me ,first its looks nice n interesting and then after some times people start doing all those cutting n chopping by hands manually ! yup but for bigger family or party etc ,its sure help

i m using boss b 701 food processor from last 1 years and its good but the main problem to cleaning those jars take more n effort than Kneading atta by hands ! but its easy to Kneading atta by this machine !

What is the Atta attachment made of - plastic ? Do you feel it is durable ? How is the end result of the atta - is your wife satisfied. What is the maximum quantity of flour that you can add at a time & How much time does it take to do the job.

Any Atta-Grinder/Mixer/Food Processor needs cleaning thoroughly after use. I do not see it as a problem at all (we have been using our seimens for this purpose for over 10 years).

^ +1
I was purchased a phlips food processor for my mom last year but she is still making dough with hands.

Yes I admit this is true with many people.

However based on our personal experience of nearly 10 years - (I use the food processor a lot for a variety of things apart from my wife who mainly uses it for Atta).

One should consider the "ease & time-saved" in the overall context. Washing the FP thereafter is mandatory (well - I do it all the time :)).

One should consider the "ease & time-saved" in the overall context. Washing the FP thereafter is mandatory (well - I do it all the time :)).
How about the quality at the end. If its not kneaded properly, you will taste the difference. I take it the siemens was good enough that you could not tell the difference between the machine & hands ?

Been using inalsa food processor for last 5 years, works well without any issues till now.
Their products are available in hs18 site as well.

There is even a video uploaded by someone for the product demo cd.

How about the quality at the end. If its not kneaded properly, you will taste the difference. I take it the siemens was good enough that you could not tell the difference between the machine & hands ?

The siemens was/is 'bloody awesome' - there is no one on earth who will ever notice the difference (phulkas too are great)...... I am resigning myself to accept any other alternative.

Meanwhile our local mechanic managed to fix our siemens and it's running again.

Any Atta-Grinder/Mixer/Food Processor needs cleaning thoroughly after use. I do not see it as a problem at all (we have been using our seimens for this purpose for over 10 years).
ok, so here's the next query. I notice people complaining about cleaning.

When i used a bread maker many years ago, it used a metal loop that turned around. you emptied the sachet, added water, it did the kneading and then baked the bread. i don' recall having any problems with cleaning at all.

When i see the attachements here, its a plastic blade like attachment, you would think as the floor got kneaded it would attract any loose floor leaving you with the dough ready to roll and hardly any cleaning required afterwards. Makes me wonder whether people are using too much water here.

ok, so here's the next query. I notice people complaining about cleaning.

When i used a bread maker many years ago, it used a metal loop that turned around. you emptied the sachet, added water, it did the kneading and then baked the bread. i don' recall having any problems with cleaning at all.

When i see the attachments here, its a plastic blade like attachment, you would think as the flour got kneaded it would attract any loose flour leaving you with the dough ready to roll and hardly any cleaning required afterwards. Makes me wonder whether people are using too much water here.

Complaints about 'cleaning' are just excuses IMHO..... and which often relate to incorrect usage (too little/too much water).

The 'metal-loop' that you mentioned is the most efficient type of processing that any food-processor can achieve for 'kneading/flour mixing' purposes.

Unfortunately there are no proper solutions with local brands - who resort to using 'plastic' which is NOT the best solution...... and still there are folks who use it efficiently.

And any experienced person (need not be a Chef) would quickly learn how to master using the food-processor for these purposes (kneading atta) & also settle to the 'simple cleaning' of it thereafter.

^ you would be correct in some conditions. On a large or industrial scale, people would use machines to knead flour. Most chefs use their hands or give to apprentice. I've even seen those masterchef guys use their hands to knead dough on their programme.
Ultimately, its a matter of what people are most comfortable using. Its hard for people comfortable using hands to use a machine since they've got used to just washing their hands after kneading the dough.
So it may not be extra water, it would be the thought of having to wash and rinse the plastic blade and container and having to put the food processor away in a safe place instead of adding to clutter on kitchen workplace that keeps most people away from using it.

See if you can find a Moulinex - they are pretty decent. Don't touch Bajaj with a bargepole it's crap and I've been suffering with multiple issues from it.

Back