Camera Need a good camera for in-laws - Budget 35K max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourav

Adept
Hey fellas!

Need a camera for my in-laws. They are going out of India on a long vacation in October.

They've got an ancient point & shoot from Canon, don't remember the model name, which is nearly a decade old.

So they've decided to get an updated cam. Budget is a max of 35K. Not extendable anymore.

Since they're getting on a bit, I'd prefer if they get something simple and easy to use. So DSLR's are not on my list. Some advanced point & shoot is what I'm looking at, which provides great image clarity. Also, camera size is another priority. I am not interested in something huge & bulky, no matter what the image clarity.

I've filled in the template, if it helps:

• What's your budget?
30-35K max. Not extendable.​

• Camera type?
Would prefer an advanced Point & Shoot as it's for my in-laws. Not exactly tech-savvy folks, you know.
MILC is the next choice.
DSLR is the last, as they're not at all old-people friendly.​

• Body Style?
Compact is the need of the hour. Do no want something that weighs a ton or is as big & wide as portugal.​

• How much zoom do you want/expect?
Zoom is pointless without Image Stabilization. But nevertheless, some 15-20x should be ok I guess?​

• Do you care for manual exposure controls?
Lol. No. Father in law won't have any clue how to get around manual controls.​

• What's the purpose?
Cam to be used on vacations by old people. Nothing else.​

• What will you be shooting with this camera?
Outdoors, vacation-y stuff.​

• Do you have any particular model(s) in your mind?
Yes, I was looking at the Sony DSC RX 100 II & the Canon EOS-M.​

• Any brand preference? Like/dislike
Nothing as such.​

• From where will you be buying?
Online/Local store​

• Any specific features you need?
Should be easy to use, and picture clarity should be great. Not too bulky, if possible.​

• Anything else you would like to tell us?
I think I've covered all the bases as mentioned in the template. If any more info is needed, feel free to quote & let me know.​

Don't want DSLR/bulky camera (which kicks out MILC too). No clue about manual controls and want more than 15x zoom (which kicks out large sensor compact). Leaving with less than a dozen decent compacts to choose from. I guess he would be happy with any one of them.

WX200/220 - 10x zoom costs around 10-11k. In my view, this is good enough. What you will be getting with the higher priced camera is "zoom" and few extra frills.

WX300/350 - More zoom, costs about 16k
S9500/9600 - More zoom, costs about 13-15k

Though these cameras do have manual controls, they can be operated in AUTO mode.
SX700 or HX50V/HX60V - More zoom with manual controls, costs about 18-20k.

This is the most expensive you can go. You have more than enough budget :) If you stress more on image quality and you relax your "zoom" criteria to 3x/5x, you can have few more choices from large sensor compacts.
----------------------------x--------------------------------x----------------------------------------
RX100II - This camera doesn't have your in-law appreciable feature than RX100. So it's a wiser decision to go with RX100 for about 25-26k rather than spending 9k more for RX100 II.
EOS-M - MILC, definitely would add bulk when you attach a lens. If you're considering MILC, it's better to go with Sony, Canon is not that mature in this segment.

WX200/220 - 10x zoom costs around 10-11k. In my view, this is good enough. What you will be getting with the higher priced camera is "zoom" and few extra frills.

WX300/350 - More zoom, costs about 16k
S9500/9600 - More zoom, costs about 13-15k

Though these cameras do have manual controls, they can be operated in AUTO mode.
SX700 or HX50V/HX60V - More zoom with manual controls, costs about 18-20k.

This is the most expensive you can go. You have more than enough budget :) If you stress more on image quality and you relax your "zoom" criteria to 3x/5x, you can have few more choices from large sensor compacts.

Hmm, wonder how these cameras are, when it comes to image quality. Are they any good?
And, I was just wondering about the zoom capability. There is no hard & fast rule about needing 15-20x zoom.

RX100II - This camera doesn't have your in-law appreciable feature than RX100. So it's a wiser decision to go with RX100 for about 25-26k rather than spending 9k more for RX100 II.
EOS-M - MILC, definitely would add bulk when you attach a lens. If you're considering MILC, it's better to go with Sony, Canon is not that mature in this segment.
You know, I too thought along the same lines. But then asked myself why spend 26k for an older model when just 7-8k more gets me the updated model.

Thanks for the suggestions mate. Much appreciated.

Apart from the DSC RX100, do you have any recommendations? The idea here is to get excellent image clarity, from the least bulky & complex camera.

I have two suggestions for you:
1. If you want small and compact with very good Image Quality - Fuji X-F1 for 11k It has a bigger 2/3 inch type sensor with very good lens (equiv 25-100mm). If you want to use all of your budget then go for RX100 Mk II, that's a stellar camera as well.
2. If you want longer reach then Fuji X-S1 for 28k Again, this one has a larger 2/3 inch type sensor compared to the usual 1/2.3" found in the super zooms. It is now selling at much cheaper price these days and for the price its a great camera with huge reach. The only better superzooms are Sony RX10 which cost almost 3 times or the new Panasonic FZ1000 which is not announced yet and should be priced at 55k.

P.S. I didn't know XF1 has got 50% slash in prices. Now I'm tempted to get one as well ! Darn you :p

I have two suggestions for you:
1. If you want small and compact with very good Image Quality - Fuji X-F1 for 11k It has a bigger 2/3 inch type sensor with very good lens (equiv 25-100mm). If you want to use all of your budget then go for RX100 Mk II, that's a stellar camera as well.
2. If you want longer reach then Fuji X-S1 for 28k Again, this one has a larger 2/3 inch type sensor compared to the usual 1/2.3" found in the super zooms. It is now selling at much cheaper price these days and for the price its a great camera with huge reach. The only better superzooms are Sony RX10 which cost almost 3 times or the new Panasonic FZ1000 which is not announced yet and should be priced at 55k.

P.S. I didn't know XF1 has got 50% slash in prices. Now I'm tempted to get one as well ! Darn you :p

Thanks sabby.

I'm almost sold on the RX 100 family. Lets see whether I get the RX 100 or the RX 100 II.

The Fuji X-S1 looks too big & bulky for my liking. I'm pretty sure they would not like it one bit.

Hmm, wonder how these cameras are, when it comes to image quality. Are they any good?
And, I was just wondering about the zoom capability. There is no hard & fast rule about needing 15-20x zoom.
Given the price range and in their category, they deliver decent images.
Apart from the DSC RX100, do you have any recommendations? The idea here is to get excellent image clarity, from the least bulky & complex camera.
I can suggest few large sensor compacts ranging from 13k to 35k, but they will surely lose against RX100's image quality.

In my opinion, it's too much for the user/purpose. No offense.

RX100 is not as slippery as it is made out to be. All my family members incl., kids use it comfortably - no one ever complained about it being slippery.

It is a fantastic camera. Go for it!

I'm almost sold on the RX 100 family. Lets see whether I get the RX 100 or the RX 100 II.
mk II has an articulated viewfinder which comes in handy. wifi makes it easier to get photos of the card. for 8k more its a no brainer but clearly overkill. You could always borrow it after and put it to better use :D

• What will you be shooting with this camera?
Outdoors, vacation-y stuff.
outdoors and sun means how good will lcd legibility be. Never had this problem in the good old days with optical viewfinders.

• From where will you be buying?
Online/Local store
Shortlist a few candidates, take them to a store and ask them which they like better to hold. Don't buy before hand. You will have to find some way not to allow price to influence their decision.

RX100 is not as slippery as it is made out to be. All my family members incl., kids use it comfortably - no one ever complained about it being slippery.

It is a fantastic camera. Go for it!
How good is it in auto ? or rather which of the two autos is the more consistent.

he needs a good auto shooter and i wonder if such a camera exists.

Also easy to use controls. power up, point and shoot ie good ergonomics.

Last edited:
The simple auto is very good. The 2nd auto takes more time in post-processing. There is no significant difference between them. You would be better off trying P/A modes.

Till now I was using advance P&S from Canon (super zoom). Recently got Sony Nex 5T in 35k from snap deal.

I am more than happy with performance. IQ is far better and my parents also happy to use it.

Sony launched RX 100 III but i am sold on the Panasonic LX100 which shoots 4K video and has a larger micro four thirds sensor from there best in class Panasonic GH4.
Sony has a smaller sensor.

I dont know if its available here.

But these are my suggestions.

uploadfromtaptalk1412251811659.jpg

This one....with dual.lens

G7x looks very good too. Should be cheaper than the RX100 once it becomes available (considering typical sony vs canon pricing trend) with longer range & articulating lcd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back