Need a large (36-40 inch monitor) primarily for coding

Why putty, why not use any IDEs? You will save time and debugging effort

Haven't found an IDE/editor that works better than terminal/vi. Tried quite a few but kept going back. Over time, I have become very suspicious of anyone making 'productivity increase' claims about a tool/process.

Don't believe me. Ask Linus who still uses uEmacs :)

I am not claiming that tools are not important. Just that there is a line somewhere between 'ed' and 'source insight' above which you will not see any real gains.

Last edited:
Why putty, why not use any IDEs? You will save time and debugging effort
obviously you never used vi and gdb. :p
Its all about getting into the grove. vi is a very fast and amazing editor. Also, when you want debug stuff like crashes on test boxes, the ides are a nogo.

Currently debating between a 38 inch ultra-wide (1600p) and a 43 inch 4k. The ultrawide will probably be a little easier to manage (don't have to change my sitting arrangement) but the 43 in gets me thrice the screen real state.

I have but, when working with multiple code base (connected to various repos) plus the large amount of plugins, you can't beat eclipse.
I worked on a codebase which is over 1M lines of code using vi. it works pretty good. The only other IDE i have respect for is visual studio. eclipse is useless in environments which require a lot of debugging. like linux machines with minimal installs and very tight security.
Also eclipse is piece of shit.:troll:

Btw, it's the refresh rate, not the frame rate.

The monitor is capable of 60 Hz refresh. The 30 Hz limitation is specific to HDMI because of its version (1.4).

So it depends on whether you want to call the HDMI port's capability as 'refresh rate' or 'frame rate'. I prefer 'frame rate' since we are talking about channel bandwidth, but I am sure one could make a case for 'refresh rate' too.

Dell's marketing seems to avoid using both these words and used 'Native Resolution' instead.

Last edited:
Aah, ok i didn't see the hdmi version mentioned anywhere on the page. For those interested, here's a table which shows what refresh rate is supported by what HDMI version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_standard_video

Dell's tech specs are spot on, Native resolution refers to the actual number of pixels of the display, which in this case is 3840 x 2160 and is the optimum resolution for any lcd panel. Any resolution other that this requires interpolation which will reduce the image quality. So they're not wrong in what they said. And they have declared the refresh rate in Hz, people know it means that.

I just mentioned the difference between the two because while they're definitely related and affect each other, they are not the same thing.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate : "The refresh rate (most commonly the "vertical refresh rate", "vertical scan rate" for cathode ray tubes) is the number of times in a second that a display hardware updates its buffer. This is distinct from the measure of frame rate. The refresh rate includes the repeated drawing of identical frames, while frame rate measures how often a video source can feed an entire frame of new data to a display."

My local vendor is offering it for 41k. Saw the box today. He didn't open it. Its huge.

Acer is offering a 3 year warranty. Not sure how good Acer's monitor warranty is/

Very tempted.

Finally!! LG 43UD79T.

Back