CPU/Mobo Need a new motherboard

kvikram

Skilled
Six years ago I bought a Dell Studio XPS 7100 desktop PC. Although I regret not having built one myself, the old computer still serves me to this day for basic gaming, browsing and work.

However the stock motherboard has pretty much no control over the fan speeds (no control from BIOS or any software), which seem to be overall somewhat consistent but sometimes very random. Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 a few days back, the fans seem much more erratic despite normal temps. So I need a new motherboard so that I can better control the fans and have it run silent.

Here are the specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
AMD Radeon HD 5870
6GB RAM
460W power supply

It's important that the motherboard be able to run on the 460W power supply, as I do not wish to fork out extra cash for another power supply as well.

Why not use a fan controller?
Fan controllers are large and clunky and decent ones come close to 5k. I figured that I could get a good motherboard for close to the same price. And correct me if I'm wrong, but the automatic fan control would, I believe, be better on a new motherboard than the stock one, hence negating the need for manual control.

Also among other things I would get USB 3.0 as well, which would be a nice upgrade.

Back