Budget 31-40k Need a new processor, motherboard, ram and a cooler.

My old processor and motherboard died 1year+ back thanks to my cousin's meddling. Been on an hiatus from gaming ever since. It would be great if you guys could suggest me a setup which is as good as/better than my previous one. The details are mentioned below. Thanks in advance!
  1. What is your budget?
    • 30-40k for the entire thing, can go +/-
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel Core i7 2600k (dead)
    • Motherboard - Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 (dead)
    • GPU - Zotac Nvidia GTX 970
    • RAM - G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB
    • Monitor - Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM
    • PSU - Seasonic 520W PSU
    • Cabinet - Cooler Master HAF 922
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM
    • PSU - Seasonic 520W PSU
    • Cabinet - Cooler Master HAF 922
    • GPU - Zotac Nvidia GTX 970
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Processor
    • Motherboard
    • Ram
    • CPU Cooler
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Might go for multi monitor setup after an year.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to suggestions.
    • Online.
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No.
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • 3D/Video Rendering
    • Photoshop
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Witcher 3 - The Wild Hunt
    • Dragon Age Inquisition
    • Elder Scrolls Skyrim
    • Fallout 4
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider
    • GTA V
    • Arkham Knight
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Maybe.
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8/10

i7 6700K - 27k
Asus H170 Pro - 10k
Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb - 2.7k
Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 -3k
Total - 42.7k

i7 6700K - 27k
Asus H170 Pro - 10k
Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb - 2.7k
Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 -3k
Total - 42.7k
Thanks for your response.
I may not be overclocking for an year or two so should I push the cooler to a future upgrade, or is it better to get one now itself?

Yes! For sure, you can keep it for future upgrade!
As is the 6700k performs good with stock cooler!
And if at all you need to OC, then OC till you need, then reset the clocks when need is done!

One more thing, if you are already pushing the fan for later, then put an extra 2k for a Z170 mobo!

My bad! It doesn't come with a cooler! I read about the older generation! K series have stopped providing the fan!
So now you will have to buy a fan!

How much of video processing are you going to do ? If it's trivial, I'd say save the money and get an unlocked i5. But if that's what you are going to do for most time, then I suggest getting an SSD and upgrade the graphic card with 8GB VRAM when you can afford it.

Last edited:
Yes! But maybe I guess you can use the stock intel cooler of your 2700k with this for time being until you don't OC! Or you can just check if the temperature don't go sky high, then maybe you can use that older fan!
The problem with the stock coolers is that it doesnt really fit as good as the third party ones that can be screwed into a bracket. So removing and using the old cooler on a new mobo may not place it in the best contact which makes me really skeptical about this. spend an extra 2k and live in peace IMO.

The problem with the stock coolers is that it doesnt really fit as good as the third party ones that can be screwed into a bracket. So removing and using the old cooler on a new mobo may not place it in the best contact which makes me really skeptical about this. spend an extra 2k and live in peace IMO.
I had some such experience with stock cooler before, like you've suggested I'll go for an aftermarket cooler now itself.

• Processor - Intel Core i7 6700K -25500,
  • Motherboard -Gigabyte Z170-D3H -11500,
  • Ram -Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz -2500,
  • CPU Cooler -Cooler Master Hyper 212X -3000.
  • TOTAL -42,500.

Ok guys, I have decided to up my budget a bit, could you guys suggest which of these motherboard should I go for.

Asus z170 Pro Gaming
or
Gigabyte z170x Gaming 3

My previous board was an Asus, it did well but pretty much around the end of its warranty period it died on me, and friend of mine also faced the very same issue so I am a bit skeptical about Asus. Should I stick with Asus or switch to Gigabyte?

Ok guys, I have decided to up my budget a bit, could you guys suggest which of these motherboard should I go for.

Asus z170 Pro Gaming
or
Gigabyte z170x Gaming 3

My previous board was an Asus, it did well but pretty much around the end of its warranty period it died on me, and friend of mine also faced the very same issue so I am a bit skeptical about Asus. Should I stick with Asus or switch to Gigabyte?
IMO, all the good manufacturers like Asus, MSi, Asrock, Gigabyte have a good quality motherboard! Later on it's up to you which one you select!

According to me, you should dig in the RMA service, service centre, customer support in your area and whichever is the best in your area, choose that!
See if what you need is available in that particular mobo! If the mobo doesn't fulfill what you need, it is of no use!

I have used Gigabyte, Asus! Both are good! But all else, it will be a biased opinion if one says, asrock is best or gigabyte is better!

Guys, I made the purchase and the rig is pretty great. Thank you all for helping me out :D
Btw these were the components I went for in the end :
i7 6700K
Asus z170 Pro Gaming
Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb x2
Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212

Back