Camera Need a P&S (??) for learning basics of photography

So I been reading up on photgraphy and always wanted to take better pictures. Sort of pick up a new hobby kinda thing.

What's your budget?
15,000 max. 10k would be better.

Camera type?
Whatever fits in my budget (I am guessing thats P&C)

Body Style?
Dont care

How much zoom do you want/expect?
It will be mostly close up photography so not really important.

Do you care for manual exposure controls?
YES. Very important.

What's the purpose?

Hobby

What will you be shooting with this camera?

Some indoors, some outdoors, some nature

Do you have any particular model(s) in your mind?
Nope

Any brand preference? Like/dislike
None

From where will you be buying?

Online/Local store. Either one is fine.

Any specific features you need?
More manual options the better. AF, good ISO results. Manual focus is out in that budget I guess.

Anything else you would like to tell us?

I am looking for something that will let me explore basics of manual shooting and photography without having to commit to an expensive DSLR. If I like what I do with the camera and if it maintains my interest I can then move on to something a little better.

The usage of this camera will mostly be experimenting with portrait photos, nature close ups and some usual home photo stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The cannon seems much more affordable but the price is a little all over the place? Amazon has it for 15k for some reason. The Nikon P530 seems like a solid choice but its pushing the limit of my budget.

Let me read up on both cameras.

Any other alternatives I should look at?

If you are really interested to learn photography go for a DSLR , lots of used dSLR will be available in your budget like d3100 or canon 550d will come under 15k with a kit lens . DSLRs will give you lots of options and better performance comparing to any point and shoot available for 15k

you wont get a new dslr for 15k but if you increase your budget to 20k you buy a 1200D a good dslr for beginners , a nikon 3200 for 22.5 k which is even better . But i would suggest you to buy a used DSLR under15K , there are good deals in olx many times people sell 1200 d and 3100 ,3200 under warrenty for less than 15k .

15k for a 1000d is a bit higher. 12 to 13 k is OK for good condition 1000d body with image stabilised kit lens , if the kitlens is non stabilised its not worth more than 10k
Check the lens for creepy noice while zooming and focusing . and take a pic of plain white paper or wall and check the pic on a large screen check for any dots or spots . if you find some ask for another 1.5k discount (to clean sensor)[DOUBLEPOST=1439294233][/DOUBLEPOST]D3200 is a very good option it has a great sensor and the Nikon 1855vr kit lens is excellent. Even D3100 is good. Avoid D3000 .

Last edited:
- You can't do close up/macro with DSLR kit lens. (I am not against DSLR, but with your budget and purpose, it's better not to look here)
- Though SX170 is at affordable price point, it would be painfully slow (I am using SX130).

Rather than spending 15k for used/no warranty entry level DSLR, it's wise to spend ~ 20k -22k for a new one.

Alright. Having read up the thread some more I have decided to save up a bit and get a new DSLR. Nikon D3200 seems like a good bet. I think I will go with that.

Thanks again for your help.

Back