Need a printer suggestion for light home usage

So we have to keep the printer powered on (in sleep or whatever) 24*7 for the few prints that we may take in a month? sounds extremely wasteful to me.

I don't know man, buying a printer and keeping it running for months on end to take just a few pages of printout somehow feels wrong to me, personally.

The key here is the auto clean function. As long as one remembers to keep the printer powered on, one does not have to worry about clogging print nozzles. As I said, even after 2.5 years, I am yet to refill the ink tanks. Also the cost of the ink bottles (prints around 5000 pages) is less than Rs. 500 each.
if its network aware as yours is with wifi then it will be on just asleep and waiting for a job.

How does auto clean work. Do you set a schedule

Few people complaining about slow print speed in the amazon reviews. Specs say 12pg/min which shouldn't be a problem.

I used to own a Casio Cartridge based inkjet printer that used to get clogged if I do not print at least once a week. Finally, the print nozzle was so clogged that no amount of cleaning revived the printer. Ink Tank inkjet printers with auto clean completely changes the scenario.
yes this happened to a canon inkjet i had around 2001

I'm very happy with my brother laser. Numerous power cuts, its comes back online by itself and then goes to sleep waiting for a job. Wakes up fast prints, then goes to sleep. This is ideal behaviour for a networked device.

Initially I was a bit concerned the power draw when the laser starts might be too high for a lighting circuit. No problems. No flickering lights when it comes on.

if its network aware as yours is with wifi then it will be on just asleep and waiting for a job.

How does auto clean work. Do you set a schedule

Few people complaining about slow print speed in the amazon reviews. Specs say 12pg/min which shouldn't be a problem.

yes this happened to a canon inkjet i had around 2001

I'm very happy with my brother laser. Numerous power cuts, its comes back online by itself and then goes to sleep waiting for a job. Wakes up fast prints, then goes to sleep. This is ideal behaviour for a networked device.

Initially I was a bit concerned the power draw when the laser starts might be too high for a lighting circuit. No problems. No flickering lights when it comes on.

I have not really put a Kill-A-Watt meter but I pretty sure it is very very low power consumption. It is wifi connected but then it only wakes up when it receives a print command. I guess it works on something similar to Wakeup On Lan kinda thing.

There are two things to Wifi Printing. The printing from a laptop via Wifi is relatively slow compared to USB connection. These days it seems to be more or less similar speed due to a print driver upgrade. I cannot say for sure. It definitely used to take double the time earlier. The speed seems to have improved. The biggest pain is when printing from an android phone / tab. The Brother software for Android is painfully slow. By slow I mean over 5 minutes to print a simple color text with less than 5% coverage. But considering that we rarely print, it does not bother much.

It has been 2.5 years since I bought mine. I am sure there are much better printers in the market today. When I was shopping around in Feb 2016, Epson and Brother were the ones I shortlisted.

There is no control to set the schedule for auto clean. That used to be one complaint I had when it suddenly used to clean the print heads (less than 8 seconds) in the middle of the night. This problem too seems to have vanished now.

@letmein Did you end up buying it? Mini review please. I'm also in the same boat and debating whether to get a laser MFP or not.
it's functional but its usb only. That means you need to be wired in. Wifi makes life easier but ups the cost.

I ended up having an issue with my brother recently. Drum error after just 250 pages. Refused to print anything. The drum's good for 12k pages so surprised. Error msg is slide the green tab. Eh?

googled it then pulled the cartridge out and had to move this green tab across the length of the drum. Took a few tries but apparently toner can get stuck on the drum. Worked after.

And i'm still on the cartridge that came with the printer. Not some generic 3rd party refill.

it's functional but its usb only. That means you need to be wired in. Wifi makes life easier but ups the cost.

I ended up having an issue with my brother recently. Drum error after just 250 pages. Refused to print anything. The drum's good for 12k pages so surprised. Error msg is slide the green tab. Eh?

googled it then pulled the cartridge out and had to move this green tab across the length of the drum. Took a few tries but apparently toner can get stuck on the drum. Worked after.

And i'm still on the cartridge that came with the printer. Not some generic 3rd party refill.

I don't mind it being USB only. Can always connect it to my router to make it wireless.

Will be used mainly by my dad for photocopying documents and taking a few printouts. Don't need any fancy features.

I don't mind it being USB only. Can always connect it to my router to make it wireless.
Have you tried this with other printers ? How well does it work

From the modem days i've found usb to be iffy. Does not always wake up after going to sleep. Reliability is an open question. Restart this or that.

Ethernet works flawlessly so i insisted on the printer having that. That imposes a 5k premium straight off. I would use that to wifi enable. Course then the printer came with its own wifi this meant i could place it anywhere instead of next to the router or barring that having a connected PC acting as a print server.

Back