Budget 10-15K Need a smartphone for my not so tech savvy dad released in 2019[7-12K]

OxyMoroN

Recruit
Questions:-
1. Budget?
A: INR 7-12 K.

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: 5.0''-5.5", IPS LCD/AMOLED, FHD and above

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android Oreo and above.

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 4G is a requirement.

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No coolpad, oppo or vivo preferably[ although suggestions are more than welcome].
Samsung,LG,Sony and Huawei are the preferred brands, but looking at the budget, I can only get slim pickings from these guys, so Xiaomi is cool too .

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: E-mail, calls, whatsapp, music, viewing docs.

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: Dual sim is a necessity, although both needn't have 4G connectivity at the same time.

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Don’t mind buying online at all, mostly the phone will be bought from amazon. Used is a big no no, although refurbished sounds good to me.

9. Any other requirements?
A: Need good battery backup, at least 32 gb internal storage, 3 gb ram, decent speakers, 2019 model preferably as it will then have updates for at least the aforementioned year.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Nope, I don't mind waiting a month or two, but I want a smartphone released this year .

Oppo K1 will be good. Amoled screen, underscreen fingerprint scanner. snapdragon 660.

oppo,vivo, oneplus phones are literally made in same factory so there's no need to worry about quality.

Since you said "Not so tech savvy" , I would right away suggest iPhone. I know the cost may be an issue but do consider that. My dad is almost 70 has been using iPhone easily since last 7 years. He earlier had a 3GS which he kept using till around Feb 2016 when I got him a iPhone 5S which he is using even today with latest iOS update.
He has big text / font enabled and such for better visibility.
So basically in last 7 years, its only his 2nd phone so considering longetivity of device, I consider the higher initial cost is justified. I got the 5S for $200 back in 2016 for him from US so yes relatively it was cheaper (compared to then Indian prices) so for me the $200 "vasool ho gaya".

Neither of them - get a phone with biggest screen and bump up the display. I got my parents - Redmi Note 4 and Note 6 Pro. With the bigger display, they are very comfortable with using the phone.

Secondly, for elders, the iPhone (older versions) or any small size phone is a joke with the small screen. I was travelling yesterday and this chap had stowed away his glasses and was keeping the phone very near the screen to read. This is an issue for those with eyesight issues.

However, if you do give your father an Android, explain not to install or click on anything without knowing. This is not an issue on the iPhone since it asks for the iTunes password and usually they do not have it, so cant install apps.

tbh if you have "Dont install apps from unknown sources" option checked in, then rogue apps installing on dad's phone should happen. But adblocker is a must imo.

I install adblocker and youtube vanced and my dad's 100% usage is covered.[DOUBLEPOST=1549685316][/DOUBLEPOST]
Galaxy M20
M20 camera is hot garbage going by reviews. I think beebom channel mentioned it

Neither of them - get a phone with biggest screen and bump up the display. I got my parents - Redmi Note 4 and Note 6 Pro. With the bigger display, they are very comfortable with using the phone.

Secondly, for elders, the iPhone (older versions) or any small size phone is a joke with the small screen. I was travelling yesterday and this chap had stowed away his glasses and was keeping the phone very near the screen to read. This is an issue for those with eyesight issues.

However, if you do give your father an Android, explain not to install or click on anything without knowing. This is not an issue on the iPhone since it asks for the iTunes password and usually they do not have it, so cant install apps.
I do concur about the small screen. For that you need to buy a bigger iphone like the plus versions but yeah that means paying a lot.
In those cases Android would be better.

Back