Graphic Cards Need a solid 1080p 144hz graphics card

atiamd

Adept
Hey guys,

I am back with a new requirement. I am going to buy a graphics card which can give me 144 FPS @1080p in most games, and the choices are RTX 2060 super or 5700xt. Trouble is both of these cards cost more than what they should right now. So, I am still deciding on which card to get. In the meanwhile, I have 2 questions:

1) Is my PSU enough?
2) Will my CPU bottleneck these graphics cards? If so, what according to you is the best possible card for this system?

Here is my current system:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 no overclock possible
Mobo - Asus ROG strix b350f gaming - Link
RAM - 2x8GB Gskill trident z RGB 3000 MHz F4-3000C16D-16GTZR - Link
PSU - Seasonic M12ii evo 520W fully modular - Link
GFX - Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB mini - Link
Case - Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB Mid Tower Case (MCB-B511D-KGNN-RGB)
OS - Windows 10 pro x64 OEM

Thank you as always!

Hey guys,

I am back with a new requirement. I am going to buy a graphics card which can give me 144 FPS @1080p in most games, and the choices are RTX 2060 super or 5700xt. Trouble is both of these cards cost more than what they should right now. So, I am still deciding on which card to get. In the meanwhile, I have 2 questions:

1) Is my PSU enough?
2) Will my CPU bottleneck these graphics cards? If so, what according to you is the best possible card for this system?

Here is my current system:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 no overclock possible
Mobo - Asus ROG strix b350f gaming - Link
RAM - 2x8GB Gskill trident z RGB 3000 MHz F4-3000C16D-16GTZR - Link
PSU - Seasonic M12ii evo 520W fully modular - Link
GFX - Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 6GB mini - Link
Case - Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB Mid Tower Case (MCB-B511D-KGNN-RGB)
OS - Windows 10 pro x64 OEM

Thank you as always!
PSU is more than enough.
Get Zotac RTX 2060 6GB Super Mini @ 36k

Galax 2060 Super (32999 - 1750 Instant discount with ICICI). Comes to just 31249. Haven't seen a lower price for a 2060 Super anywhere.

The other option is to get an RX 5700 (slower than 2060 Super at stock by around 4%) and then flash it with a 5700 XT bios. This will make it around 10% faster than the 2060 Super.

Here's a reference model for the same price :-

https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-AMD-Rade...sr_1_4?keywords=RX+5700&qid=1571196630&sr=8-4

Note: This will be noisy due to the blower cooler.

Thanks guys. I am steering clear of the radeon reference cards. Nvidia FE is fine.

Here is what I am after: But its 36k right now.

For 2060 super, I see only brands like Galax, inno3d now, which I dont even recognise. Is it just me or are these brands ok? What about their after sales?

Also, is my PSU enough and will my CPU be a bottleneck? Answer this assuming I am getting a 5700xt.

The gigabyte version costs slightly more (500-600rs) but its got a much better cooler. Plus Ive been hearing MSI's RMA/warranty service has literally gone to the dogs.

Thanks guys. I am steering clear of the radeon reference cards. Nvidia FE is fine.

For 2060 super, I see only brands like Galax, inno3d now, which I dont even recognise. Is it just me or are these brands ok? What about their after sales?

Also, is my PSU enough and will my CPU be a bottleneck? Answer this assuming I am getting a 5700xt.

Galax is fine. Been using one low end card of theirs for over 3-4 years. Their service is also done by supertron who have a decent reputation.

PSU is fine. These cards don't eat crazy power.

OK.. So a retailer here is offering the gbt rx 5700xt and sapphire pulse for the same price which is 32000 plus 18 percent gst... This is the cheapest I can see anywhere. I know sapphire and have always had a good experience with them. How is gigabyte? Are they reliable? And if it comes to after sales support are they good? I'm in Blore. Here are the links to both cards.

I bought the sapphire pulse 5700xt today for 37k. It's getting bottlenecked by my 1600. AC O has gpu utilization between 50 and 75 percent but it still beats the cap out of my 1060. 1060 with high was around 60 fps. 5700xt with ultra is 70 fps. Has more potential. I'll buy a 3500 or 3600 now to fully utilize it. Fallout 4 is crap on both cards. Both cards run at 50 to 60 percent utilization and similar fps. The only mod that's installed is the bug fixes mod. The game is crap. I want to return it but I've already clocked 8 hours on it so steam won't accept refund request.

Witcher 3 is where I see huge gains. 50 to 75 fps without hair works has gone to 90 to100 fps with hair works on. That's amazing boost. New cpu will increase it more.

Cs go and pubg are next to be tested.

Just for fun here are some pics. :) thanks guys for all your inputs.

Attachments

• IMG20191203203212.jpg
    IMG20191203203212.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG20191203203142.jpg
    IMG20191203203142.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 135
Status update for anybody who is interested.

AC O performs worse than 1060. I'm getting between 45 and 60 fps at lowest settings. Even 60 fps has a latency of 33 ms which is jerky.

Csgo has gone to hell. 120 fps with a high latency and frame skips at high settings. At medium settings latency decreases but still 120 fps only. Not a good experience..

I am not sure why I would have an experience worse than a 1060. I understand there is a cpu bottleneck but it should at least perform like a 1060 in worst case which it's not.

Quantum break is excellent with 80 to 144 fps at ultra with 85 percent gpu utilizatiin. Far cry primal is amazing at 90 fps. Cpu bottleneck obvious here with 75 percent gpu utilization. Dishonored 2 is locked 120 fps which is amazing.

After all these years I'd hoped to see amd drivers improved but looks like they still have a long way to go. I will buy a 3600 to remove that bottleneck but csgo is clearly a driver issue which is a deal breaker. Is this happening to all amd owners? With 570 580 or above? Or is it just me?

AMD DX11 driver has known CPU bottlenecks on lower end CPUs. Nothing new!

Upgrade your CPU or overclock to 3.8 or higher!

I overclocked Ryzen 5 3600 to 4.1Ghz and my RAM from stock 3600 to 3800Mhz and its still running superbly on my Corsair H45 AIO.
hi.. question was not about the longevity of the CPU. I am asking if 3600 will get rid of the situation I have with the 5700xt. What gfx card do you have?

Anyhoo, another update: I OC'd my 1600 to 3.6 GHz. CSGO thing is mostly resolved. Now I am getting the similar performance that I was with 1060. Thats a relief. AC O still runs like crap. Even AC Revelations (yes, Revelations) has frame dips. On my 1060, it runs at flatline 144 FPS. I am now suspecting that AC engine is poor optimized for AMD cards. I hope its not the same with their other games like division and watchdogs, coz those I'd really like to play. I am now going to download watchdogs and see.

So, far, many games run as expected on this 1600 + 5700xt combo at high frame rate (80 to 144). Such as: Witcher 3, Far cry primal, MGSV GZ, quantum break, dishonored 2, DD: DA, NIOH, DS3. Mediocre performance: Fallout 4, CSGO and PUBG. Outright bad games: AC revelations, brotherhood, and Origin.

@Chaos, my brother. PM me your email ID and I will send you a small gift (Amazon gift voucher). I researched this DX11 thing which honestly I never knew about :)

Last edited:
hi.. question was not about the longevity of the CPU. I am asking if 3600 will get rid of the situation I have with the 5700xt. What gfx card do you have?

Anyhoo, another update: I OC'd my 1600 to 3.6 GHz. CSGO thing is mostly resolved. Now I am getting the similar performance that I was with 1060. Thats a relief. AC O still runs like crap. Even AC Revelations (yes, Revelations) has frame dips. On my 1060, it runs at flatline 144 FPS. I am now suspecting that AC engine is poor optimized for AMD cards. I hope its not the same with their other games like division and watchdogs, coz those I'd really like to play. I am now going to download watchdogs and see.

So, far, many games run as expected on this 1600 + 5700xt combo at high frame rate (80 to 144). Such as: Witcher 3, Far cry primal, MGSV GZ, quantum break, dishonored 2, DD: DA, NIOH, DS3. Mediocre performance: Fallout 4, CSGO and PUBG. Outright bad games: AC revelations, brotherhood, and Origin.

@Chaos, my brother. PM me your email ID and I will send you a small gift (Amazon gift voucher). I researched this DX11 thing which honestly I never knew about :)
Yes, there is a lot of difference in fps between 1600 vs 3600.
I think your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU for sure.

Another update.

Assassins creed issues are mostly gone. I installed physx from nvidia's site. LOL. I had given up.... Now, I am getting excellent score in AC: O. Revelations is also playing nice now. Who would have thunk....

Okay guys, here is the situation. So, I wanted to exchange my 1600 with a 3600 with my friend. However, when I was pulling my CPU cooler out, the CPU came out with it (winters, I guess), I bent all the pins. It has never happened to me in over 15 years, but whatever. So, I was forced to purchase a brand new 3600. On the boxed cooler, I am running it stable at 4 GHz all cores, with a very slight voltage increase (which I think, I dont need, and I will play around with it more). Max temps in cinebench R20 is 75 degrees celsius, which TBH, I am surprised with. The new boxed cooler doesnt even have the copper base, so I was not expecting such good results, esp. when google is filled with high temps of Ryzen 3600. 3600 doesnt go over 4.2 anyways without increasing some serious voltage and thus increasing the TDP, so, I have decided to not buy a cooler. I may replace wraith stealth with my wraith spire, but thats it. I will OC it to 4.1 though in a while.

I also undervolted my 5700xt to 1090mv from 1200 mv. I reduced the core clock from 1925 MHz to 1901 Mhz. I lost a couple of frames here and there, but the biggest advantages are:

1. GPU temps have reduced from 70 to 60
2. Tj has reduced from 91 to 70 (yes, this is not a typo)
3. Here is the kicker. The GPU is now using 60W less at load

Check out these screenshots. I bench-marked the shadow of Tomb Raider, because its the only game so far that uses my GPU 100% at 1080p. Notice the highlight bubbles. You'll see what I am talking about. Ohh, also, dont use MSI afterburner with this card (Sapphire Pulse). I am not sure what it injects in the drivers and how it does it, but the fans never stop spinning if AB is installed. My fans dont spin until the card reaches 60 degrees C by default, and idles are around 35 to 45 depending on the time of the day.

The other games are only reaching like 90-95% with the 3600 at 1080p. Remember, my objective is not 2k for this build, its high refresh rates. This build is slightly out of proportion and anybody targeting 1080p 144Hz, should pair 3600 with 2060 super at most or go with faster intel CPUs to use faster cards. Most games are unoptimized to use high refresh rates, and the competitive games that actually really benefit from high refresh rate runs at 144 FPS even with a gtx 1060.

Attachments

• Default.png
    Default.png
    774.2 KB · Views: 178
  • UNDERVOLT.png
    UNDERVOLT.png
    730.4 KB · Views: 147
Back