Need advice on creating Cool Looking Educational Site.

amanbhosle

Disciple
Hi guys,

With so many options available i would like to know Which language (or method) is best for creating cool looking websites.

I want the site to be simple yet very attractive . It should be very light so no flash.

It would be great if its compatible with all the browsers . I have seen sites which looks good on specific browsers.

Please suggest.
If possible give me some example websites too.
Thanks.

I am not very clear what do you want. Do you want only to code the front end or you want to have a complete website with 'cool' looks?

As far as the looks concern - if you want to code yourself - only option you got it HTML + CSS + javascript.
With HTML5 you got much more options for looks - like with CSS3, Canvas its very easy to add cool effects.

If you want a complete website, start with a CMS - Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla are recommended. They all got huge list of themes.
And if you want to style something of your own, start developing a theme with some starter themes.

I am not very clear what do you want. Do you want only to code the front end or you want to have a complete website with 'cool' looks?

As far as the looks concern - if you want to code yourself - only option you got it HTML + CSS + javascript.
With HTML5 you got much more options for looks - like with CSS3, Canvas its very easy to add cool effects.

If you want a complete website, start with a CMS - Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla are recommended. They all got huge list of themes.
And if you want to style something of your own, start developing a theme with some starter themes.
Yes i m after complete website ..
Thanks for prompt reply.

Yes i m after complete website ..
Thanks for prompt reply.

So I suppose you would need a CMS.
You got lots of free CMS'es - Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla being the most favoured.
Visit their sites to get know about them and also they got gallery of free/paid themese.

Wordpress - easy to use. No learning curve. There's a plugin for everything. Lots of themes available.
Drupal/Joomla - a li'l complex than WP. You'll need sometime to get along. Lots of customizations available.

They all got very good community support.

So I suppose you would need a CMS.
You got lots of free CMS'es - Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla being the most favoured.
Visit their sites to get know about them and also they got gallery of free/paid themese.

Wordpress - easy to use. No learning curve. There's a plugin for everything. Lots of themes available.
Drupal/Joomla - a li'l complex than WP. You'll need sometime to get along. Lots of customizations available.

They all got very good community support.
COrrect me if i m not wrong....

I have my own website and i don't want to create any website on blogspot and world press.

Is copying code from their site legal?

COrrect me if i m not wrong....

I have my own website and i don't want to create any website on blogspot and world press.

Is copying code from their site legal?

If you are NOT Wrong - I cannot correct you. :p

Well, read about CMS Content management system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mentioned CMS'es are open source and free to use.
By saying - you have your website - do you mean you have your domain name? or hosting/web server too?

btw, I am talking about Wordpress.org not .com

If you want to make your website on your own then it would be just re-inventing the wheel which totally useless. You will have to code thousands of lines.
Now as your saying
Then I believe you may be having some domain name plus possibly a hosting, but having these two does not mean you have a website. You need a lots of scripts and code to make you website run. Or you could just have static pages in HTML which is definitely not cool as you want.
So in my opinion best options would be like this:-
  1. If you are a beginner: Wordpress
  2. If You are advanced : Drupal / Joomla
  3. If you want best possible customization: Drupal Only

Else if you know some programming in php then you can use frameworks like Symphony or Yii Framework to create you website. But still using a CMS is always better as they are coded by thousands of minds across the globe and have better security, usability, themes and support.

If you want to make your website on your own then it would be just re-inventing the wheel which totally useless. You will have to code thousands of lines.
Now as your saying
Then I believe you may be having some domain name plus possibly a hosting, but having these two does not mean you have a website. You need a lots of scripts and code to make you website run. Or you could just have static pages in HTML which is definitely not cool as you want.
So in my opinion best options would be like this:-
  1. If you are a beginner: Wordpress
  2. If You are advanced : Drupal / Joomla
  3. If you want best possible customization: Drupal Only

Else if you know some programming in php then you can use frameworks like Symphony or Yii Framework to create you website. But still using a CMS is always better as they are coded by thousands of minds across the globe and have better security, usability, themes and support.

Thank you very much you solved my queries :).

@OP - Did you checked Moodle ? http://moodle.org

It has everything what educational site needs. There are good themes too ! Or you can pay the developer or develop yourself a cool looking theme.

@OP - Did you checked Moodle ? http://moodle.org

It has everything what educational site needs. There are good themes too ! Or you can pay the developer or develop yourself a cool looking theme.
Seems interesting but i m looking for simple web based . I m more keen on developing eye catchy trendy site.
Not after so many features like forum ,blogs.

Good for little project for short term. For long term this is a terrible idea.
Do you want to say that WordPress can be used for small and short term projects only??

I am sorry, but I have little different opinion.
Theme is just to enhance the look of your site, but the core is your always Wordpress (can be other CMS also). And you can always enhance the functionality of CMS using plugins / addons etc. If you are a developer, you can even make custom modification on your website as per your website requirement.

Example:
whitehouse.gov and ResellerClub.com are built on Drupal platform. And there are many popular websites / firms running on CMS like WordPress, Drupal, joomla etc.

Drupal is different and so is Wordpress. And I did not say Wordpress is suited only for small projects. I meant, as per OPs requirement Wordpress is totally wrong choice IMO.

Back