Need advice regarding prototyping an analytics product (DB, language, etc)

m0h1t

drinks like a fish
Patron
Hey guys..

I'm about to start work on a project of mine. I'm developing a prototype of an analytics product from ground up. I'm no developer so I need some advice regarding databases, web interface and server, choice of programming language etc.

A little bit about me - I'm highly proficient with excel and vb6, have used (not setup) MS SQL databases, have basic knowledge of TSQL commands(select, join, etc) and have written complex scripts/macros in vb6 which interact with the database, manipulate data and generate reports in excel.

The database will hold about half a million (500k) records. The front end doesn't has to be pretty, only functional and actually work.

The basic structure of the application looks like this -

structurevr.png

I'd really appreciate if you guys can help me out with some of my doubts and problems. I'm quite hazy myself on how to go about developing it, so If I haven't provided necessary information on which the choice of db/language will depend then please enlighten me.

• Do I need a standalone application? Won't the web server be able to do all these tasks since all the tasks primarily involve manipulating data in the database only. The only exception here being that the actual reports need to be generated in excel.
  • Would a web server be able to generate excel reports?
  • Which database should I go with? MySQL, MS SQL Server or anything else?
  • What language should I go with to develop the front end and the web server. It really needs to be easy to understand, learn and implement.

1) u can use php or asp as far as i know
2) u can use scripts to generate report
3) for php ll prefer myqsl, and asp MS SQL
4) u can contact me if u have anu doubt becoz i love to help others.... :)

Back