Casual games:

1. Angry Birds (All seasons)
  2. Temple Run
  3. Jet pack joy ride
  4. Nin jump
  5. Fragger
  6. Cut the Rope
  7. Fruit Ninja and similar games
  8. High end games are a bonus but will not spend money for games.
Multimedia:
  • Should be capable of playing back the tv show rips (including mkv prints)
  • Should be capable of playing back Yify prints (720p) 720p mkv would be nice
Browsing and other apps:
  • Should be able to handle at least 5-6 tabs while playing back music. If it can handle 10 tabs then its a bonus.
  • Should be able to handle other news apps and office suits.
Screen:
  • Prefer a large 4.5"+ screen. Outdoor visibility is important as I will be watching videos while travelling in a bus.
Battery:
  • Prefer a day's battery life with moderate gaming of 1 hr, 45 mins calling. Will not keep data on always.(Don't need to sync GMail and FB all the time)
Other queries:

• Also prefer having a front camera to not having one.
  • As of now only the Micromax A110 seems to satisfy all these criteria. Not sure on the Multimedia part though. I would like MMX A110 owners to comment on the same.
  • Any nagging issues in the MMX A110? One issue is the inability to move apps to SD card w/o rooting (Is there any other fix for the same). Any other issues with the quality etc...?
  • Was waiting for Nexus 4 but seeing the stock I don't think I can get it any time soon and that too for <20k.

Other phones in consideration:
Xolo 900 (Comes to ~16k considering the freebies)
  • Smaller screen but much higher ppi.
  • Seems to heat up a bit.
  • Excellent JS performance and might get JB.

Edit:
After a bit of googling found the Xolo 900 for ~14.5k from ebay.
It has a must better performance than the other two phones. Tempted to buy that. How bad is the heating issue? Will love some user feedback.
Seems the phone will also get official JB update according official twitter channel. Leaning towards the Xolo 900 strongly now.

micromax canvas2 is a good vfm considering the size and specs.
It will play will the games you have mentioned and also some other games like asphalt.
Videos- you can install apps mx player and dual core would support 720p
for easier multi tab browsing you can use chrome or opera
only -ve is low internal memory

Why don't you then go for a tablet? I'm sure you can find a used Nexus 7 for about 15K.
See the thing is when you're traveling and you are watching movies/playing games/receiving calls on the same device, it can get a bit irksome. I always have my iPad and my phone along with me. Plus, If you continue watching movies and playing games on mobile phones, the battery will deteriorate faster than it would on a tablet. The movie experience is better. Game play is better. Think about it.

I actually did and found the P700i quite decent. But the screen is just 4" and its quite thick @ 12.8mm. Its also available in indiaplaza for ~11.9k with mastcash 5%.
But haven't decided about it. If someone owns it will definitely like some user feedback. Any idea whether lenovo will upgrade them to JB? If so then I might get one.

Why don't you then go for a tablet? I'm sure you can find a used Nexus 7 for about 15K.
See the thing is when you're traveling and you are watching movies/playing games/receiving calls on the same device, it can get a bit irksome. I always have my iPad and my phone along with me. Plus, If you continue watching movies and playing games on mobile phones, the battery will deteriorate faster than it would on a tablet. The movie experience is better. Game play is better. Think about it.

I was contemplating a Nexus 7 but I need something with data too.(which is currently OOS and will also be beyond budget if getting via ebay) Also its always easier to carry one device instead of 2. So have ruled out the Tablet option for now.

- - - Updated - - -
madhukannan - Did you check 720p mkv playback? Was it smooth?
Also I see that you have applied Note's screen guard for the phone. Did you cut it in the shop that you bought the phone or another store? Did the store guys apply it themselves?
Also can you please comment on any difficulties that you have faced with the mobile?

- - - Updated - - -

Available in ebay for ~11.2k.(After 7% ICICI coupon) Seller too seems to be okay.
Lenovo is 2nd only to Samsung in China market and the build seems to be solid. Will appreciate user feedback though. The smallish 4" screen and the girth is holding me back. But has a hefty 2500mAh battery will be a big plus sometimes.

I actually did and found the P700i quite decent. But the screen is just 4" and its quite thick @ 12.8mm. Its also available in indiaplaza for ~11.9k with mastcash 5%.
But haven't decided about it. If someone owns it will definitely like some user feedback. Any idea whether lenovo will upgrade them to JB? If so then I might get one.

Few days back I called the toll free number on the availability of p700i. The CC rep was surprisingly very helpful and informative. And as per him, all the models (except the entry level A60) of Lenovo are supposed to be upgraded to JB. But didn't get the chance to hold the phone in person. Have contacted a couple of Lenovo exclusive stores in Bangalore but still it's not available.

720p video playback od mmx a110 is smooth with mx player i played some 2 gb files fast forwarding by sliding is also very smooth no hickups , but 1080 is choppy and it dosent support dts sound track . Screen guard was applied by shope guys , they charged Rs.80 for it . i find the mobile excellent for the price you pay except heating issue while using 3g .

I think you should avoid the chinese rebrandeds since you will be using it heavily for consuming media as these don't have a build quality and to avoid the hassles of service centers later on. Also you can look at other alternatives like Galaxy S Advance,S Plus,Used GNex and even used S2 etc..

Also if you want 4.5+ screen under 15k then i am afraid Canvas 2 is the only option worth to consider. Xolo is fine but i am not sure about build quality and battery life. My advice is bump a budget a little bit and go for a new GNex as it is available for as low as 18k using coupons on ebay. The gorgeous 4.6" super amoled plus screen is absolutely a pleasure to watch mkv and sitcoms in ,also the latest 4.2 JB update feels like butter.

Huawei Ideos X5 U8800 Mobile Phone -> Got it for ~7.1k. The deal was pretty good. Satisfies most of my needs.

Got it as a stop gap. Will get a Nexus4 32GB (If it is released by then) in May 2013 when my relative comes from the US and then give this phone to my sister.

The U8800 has only GB official update. But has lots of ICS ports which are stable and it also lets us OC the processor. So an ideal cheap phone to fiddle around with for a first time android buyer like me.
But has a 3.8" WVGA screen, 512MB RAM, MSM7230+Adreno 205 which is capable of recording and playing back 720p. So pretty VFM :D

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.ebay.in/itm/6-x-screen-protector-guard-Huawei-U8800-Ideos-X5-/280651098084#ht_1309wt_906 -> This goes to a link in UK! But the amount shows as approx Rs.218+88(shipping) and it does ship to India.
So can I use normal ICICI netbanking or debit card to pay for this? 6 screen guards for Rs.300 is pretty good and the seller seems to be excellent.

The payment options for the above ebay link were,
Payment: PayPal, Cheque, Demand Draft.
So will I be able to pay via ICICI debit card?
It asks me to commit to buy. What should I do now? I dont have a paypal account.

You won't need paypal account to buy it, you can just buy it as guest paypal user.

Just checkout using paypal as an option in this case your payment is linked to the paypal for future reference though i am not sure of debit cards if you have a maestro then i am sure it will not work maybe international visa debit cards do the trick

You won't need paypal account to buy it, you can just buy it as guest paypal user.

Just checkout using paypal as an option in this case your payment is linked to the paypal for future reference though i am not sure of debit cards if you have a maestro then i am sure it will not work maybe international visa debit cards do the trick

I have an ICICI VISA debit card. Not sure whether its international. It was given for my salary account. If I am not able to pay using it then will there be an issue since I commit to buy.

I have an ICICI VISA debit card. Not sure whether its international. It was given for my salary account. If I am not able to pay using it then will there be an issue since I commit to buy.

I think Visa debit card should work ,but in case if it rejects then you can always use vcc service as it is the safest bet ,you can find all your vcc related answers here

ICICI Bank - FAQs: On The Virtual Credit Card

Planning to buy this Galaxy R pouch for the U8800.
Faux Leather Pull Up Strap Case Pouch Cover For Samsung Galaxy R i9103 9103 | eBay

Anyone else using a different phone's pouch for the U8800? Only worry is that the Galaxy R is 9.5mm thick and the U8800 is 11.6mm thick.
Another option is this one SAMSUNG GALAXY S2SII i9100, WAVE BEST FIT ORIGINAL LEATHER LOOK POUCH COVER CASE | eBay The listing says it fits a variety of handsets which are similar in dimension to the U8800 but lacks a closing flap.

Back