Audio Need Audio solution @13k

I've been noticing that I'm listening to less and less music each day and Ive begun to think that its because of my current IEM. I now have a better idea of what sound Im looking for.

As I wrote someplace else too, I want natural sounding lush mids, good weighty bass with depth that extends low (good sub-bass), excellent 3D soundstage and decent treble (shouldn't be sibilant or Edgy) and maybe with some timbre as well.

Mids and vocals are really important to me as most of my music has a lot of vocals.

I also have a feeling that I should get cans now. I really liked the soundstage out of a headphone I got for free when I purchased my 5800XM (Some Sennheiser PX100 or something) but unfortunately I do not have them with me (atleast in working condition) now so that I could re-assess it as I have better audio hardware now.

I have the following options:

1. I get myself RE262 + a decent amp within 13k OR some other IEM

2. I get myself a full sized closed can under 13k that works good without amping and later buy an amp for it

3. I get myself a full sized closed can and an amp within my budget

4. Get an amp right now for TF10 if that could improve the mids and later on buy something like Fischer Audio FA-002W (or better) when I have the money for it. Budget for the amp <~4k. Also I could get myself Sony Hybrid tips.

Also let me know if I should change my source, but I cant spend anything more than 13k right now i.e After selling TF10

Grado SR225i is great , great mids , good quality bass ( some find the quantity low ) , great treble !!

but now that we know you are impatient ( you are selling TF10 in 5 days ) i will suggest you save.

Save and get a very good amp ( like matrix Mstage or maverick D1 , at least fiio E9 )

for headphone get something like HD600( neutral and transparent ) , HD650 ( Great bass, Awesome Mirs , but somewhat dark ) , AKG K702 ( Great extension in bass, Great Mids and Highs , awesome Soundstage), DT880 ( geat mids, good treble and bass, but some do find it a bit too analytical ) , D2000 ( Great bass, good mids and good treble , fun sound )

all these will cost you more than 25K but you have to spend to get uncompromisable sound

Dont get me wrong, SR225 is great nothing wrong with it , in fact if it were me i would buy it eyes closed , but some do find the bass little less in quantity. thats's why i am suggesting the best of the best, so that you dont have to sell later ( if you are disappointed in the bass)

the D2000 is the cheapest alternative

Thats neither here nor there. t3 ain't the best amp in the market. If you want a good amp then think RSA. Personally I wouldn't take a portable amp unless one is going to be driving cans not iems. Cans again not being portable.

What I would suggest is to get a good DAP like a Sflo2 16gb + 32gbcard + twilight cable for your TF10. should cost you little less than 12k.

What you woulld have is atleast the best DAP. You can always get another top tier iem later since you already have the TF10 now. I use the same setup everyday and i'm more than happy since the last 6months(Sflo2(Flacs) -> Twilight cabled TF10). Also the sflo2 is able to drive all iems and some cans too. And drive them well they really do. :)

The sr225 requires a lotta power, so you would need a full sized amp or an RSA amp to drive them well. I don't use my Sr225 with anything less than a full size amp. Same with the D2000 but a tad lesser.
If your still keen on a desktop setup/non portable one, then i would say get the HRT MS2 + AudioTechnica M50 / AT AD700 / Grado SR80i / Alessandro MS1 / etc keeping the HRT MS2 constant.
You see what I am trying to tell you is get one component, but get a good one rather than comprising on two or three. Let us know more about your requirements.

^ TF10 pairs very nicely with HM602, brings out the mids, great synergy ! So i wont call Sflo the best DAP for TF10 , no not by miles.

@mep....: are you sure you want to invest in RE262, if you dont like the bass, what will you do ! ? if you want an iem SM3 are more suited , are they not ( santosh's review says the bass is better. )
also about FA002W , i really dont know , they are new , it would be better if you coul tyry them , delhi-chandigarh is a smnall trip.
also i woulod bet my money on tried and tested products , HD600/650, K702, DT880,etc.

greenhorn said:
question. are you sure another IEM is the way forward ?
Im not, that is why Im asking for advice from you guys :)

bennysachdev said:
What you woulld have is atleast the best DAP. You can always get another top tier iem later since you already have the TF10 now. I use the same setup everyday and i'm more than happy since the last 6months(Sflo2(Flacs) -> Twilight cabled TF10). Also the sflo2 is able to drive all iems and some cans too. And drive them well they really do. :)

You see what I am trying to tell you is get one component, but get a good one rather than comprising on two or three. Let us know more about your requirements.

The thing is that I dont have 13k with me, I'll have it only after I sell it.

Yeah i think you have a point that I should atleast get one high-tier component ratehr then compromising with 2-3 mediocre components

strategy said:
^ TF10 pairs very nicely with HM602, brings out the mids, great synergy ! So i wont call Sflo the best DAP for TF10 , no not by miles.

@mep....: are you sure you want to invest in RE262, if you dont like the bass, what will you do ! ? if you want an iem SM3 are more suited , are they not ( santosh's review says the bass is better. )

also about FA002W , i really dont know , they are new , it would be better if you coul tyry them , delhi-chandigarh is a smnall trip.

also i woulod bet my money on tried and tested products , HD600/650, K702, DT880,etc.

How about I get Hifiman HM-601 fro 12.5k? I'll get RE-ZERO free with it. Later on with enough money I can sell the RE-ZERO and get myself something better? Can HM601 drive full-sized cans efficiently?

Bass is something I can still live with but I've realized the case is not the same with mids, and with other disadvantages like not-so-good fit and comfort Im not able to enjoy the type of music I listen to with TF10 and anyways I reckon the bass on RE262 isnt that bad.

Im so damn confused :(

Amabir says HM601 and HM602 are quite different in signature , very !

why not go to amarbir's and demo them all.

He might be able to demo the HM601 and HM602 ( if you are lucky even the HM801 ) :D

YOU are in CHANDIGARH , Take some advantage of being there. :|

I can do that but what's the use of it? After all I need an IEM/headphone. What will I demo the HM601 with? I cant buy HM602 or HM801, both exceed my budget

Best way to solve your confusion - Demo RE-262 like you mentioned sometime ago. If you can, demo the HM-601 too!

No matter how much one reads, things are best solved by hearing things with their own ears! There's no substitute for that. I'd ask you to take all opinions, including mine with a pinch of salt. Unless your preferences exactly aligns with mine, it's tough to decipher how an IEM will sound like by just reading.

You do have a chance to demo. Take advantage of it as strategy says! Then decide if RE-262 is for you (or) you require a headphone. We'll take it from there.

PS: iBasso T3 is a fine amp in that price range. It's very transparent, IMHO. It just does not have a bass boost button, but you can EQ using the player. See clieOS graphs in his SoundMagic A10 review - [Impression] SoundMAGIC A10 - Oriental Beauty - Head-Fi.org Community

Actually I dont live in Chandigarh per se rather I live in Panchkula which is just adjacent to it, I went to his store once at a time we had discussed he'd be available but unfortunately he was not there, anyways yeah It'd be better if I myself audition RE262 so that atleast the confusion of getting an IEM again or not is cleared.

EDIT: Just had a chat with him, he doesn't have RE262 anymore :(

You can try Ultrasone 780s, portable + 32ohm resistance, hence no amp required in general and a great quality.. you can try mine if you are in delhi..

I am asking you to demo, the TF10 with HM601 .

if you like the sound signature, you wont need to sell it.

you can find someone here to take the RE-zero ( will easily go for 3.5-4K ) .

But I dont have 12-13k if I dont sell TF10 have I :p:ashamed:

Due to some unforeseen fortunate events I now have some 5k to spend more, if i'd know this I would have delayed my purchase of TF10

Back