Camera Need Camera - simple to use/carry/maintain

I'd suggest to try and get the cheapest deal you find for Sony RX100 Mark I. This is the next step in terms of IQ from any normal P&S cameras with small sensors. Getting an entry level DSLR with the kit lens won't get you much better IQ.

For casual use, not many give so much weight-age to IQ. Are you thinking of picking up photography?
Why you want a compact camera when you have 5s?
What do you miss in 5s?
What are you expecting with a dedicated camera which 5s couldn't offer?
Is it worth spending 15k for that extra features (which 5s couldn't offer)?

~No, I m not thinking to pick up photography ever.
~I m not satisfied with IQ of 5S
~Photos are appearing good on mobile/tablet screen but when viewed on bigger screens they look blurry/grainy.
~More refined photos. They should look/appear better when viewed on bigger screens
~Confusion here. I m still checking shots taken by iPhone 6 and comparing them. If a PnS at 15k gives more or less similar images of what iPhone 6 can capture, I would straightaway upgrade to iPhone 6. If not hunt is on. Another suggestion I came across, from an acquaintance, is using lens kits with iPhones. I am not fully convinced on that idea as by the time I m ready fitting that kit on iPhone, that moment would have passed.

I'd suggest to try and get the cheapest deal you find for Sony RX100 Mark I. This is the next step in terms of IQ from any normal P&S cameras with small sensors. Getting an entry level DSLR with the kit lens won't get you much better IQ.

This one appears to garner great reviews across web. Only holding factor is cost at the moment. May be if I can find used one at my price.

~Confusion here. I m still checking shots taken by iPhone 6 and comparing them. If a PnS at 15k gives more or less similar images of what iPhone 6 can capture, I would straightaway upgrade to iPhone 6.

This one appears to garner great reviews across web. Only holding factor is cost at the moment. May be if I can find used one at my price.
In my view, the likes of P530 have better IQ than iphone. In fact, most of the cameras in your budget make better images for that matter.
Since you don't have enough budget for cameras like RX100 (I doubt even a used one would come in your budget unless it's excessively used). Cameras like XF1, XQ1, S110 were selling around/under your budget before disappearing from the market. You may likely to find them well under budget from used/refurbished market, probably new if you can procure it from US (check with your friends/relatives if they can pick up one for you around thanks giving/Christmas time.

@nac My brother is visiting India in a moth. I can procure from USA. I guess I can splurge till $250.

@letmein IQ seems quite better with Sony camera. Thanks for quick comparison.[DOUBLEPOST=1447918371][/DOUBLEPOST]I m referring to http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews for reviews. Is/Are there any better site/s for reviews of cameras ?

Last edited:
@nac My brother is visiting India in a moth. I can procure from USA. I guess I can splurge till $250.

@letmein IQ seems quite better with Sony camera. Thanks for quick comparison.[DOUBLEPOST=1447918371][/DOUBLEPOST]I m referring to http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews for reviews. Is/Are there any better site/s for reviews of cameras ?
If you absolutely can't stretch to get the RX100, I suggest the Fuji XF1 ($154 @ Amazon), it has a 2/3" type sensor which is bigger then the normal P&S and Fuji also have a very good jpeg engine.

If you absolutely can't stretch to get the RX100, I suggest the Fuji XF1 ($154 @ Amazon), it has a 2/3" type sensor which is bigger then the normal P&S and Fuji also have a very good jpeg engine.

I went through review of XF1, XQ1 and XQ2. I liked XQ2 and it fits $250 mark too with $258.12 on Amazon currently. I m searching for deals on RX100; however it retails for $350 at the moment. If it drops to below 300 level, i would get it.

That's wonderful then. I am sure you can get an advanced compact. Look for deals and buy one. Who knows, if you're lucky even RX100 refurbished would come in your budget.
I m referring to http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews for reviews. Is/Are there any better site/s for reviews of cameras ?
I check for reviews from more than a dozen sites.
DigitalCameraInfo #
CNET
Digitalversus
Cameralabs
PC Mag
Photographyblog
Trustedreviews
Techradar
ephotozine
Expertreviews
whatdigitalcamera
dpreview
Imaging resource
pocketlint
digitalcamerareview

# site address changed. It will redirect to the new one automatically

I went through review of XF1, XQ1 and XQ2. I liked XQ2 and it fits $250 mark too with $258.12 on Amazon currently. I m searching for deals on RX100; however it retails for $350 at the moment. If it drops to below 300 level, i would get it.
Yes, XQ2 is basically the XF1 with a different body and with better lens mechanism. However, I'd still suggest to try and get the RX100, the difference is worth it. And if you are getting it @ $350, I think you might get at same price in India.

For RX100, there is one refurbished @$298 on Amazon USA. Also I could find one 2 years used on JJMehta forum for 18k from Bangalore.

Seeing the positiveness on RX100 across web, I am pretty much close to zero-down it.

I came across Samsung NX3000 with 16-50mm OIS Power Zoom + 64GB Class 10 card bundle for $365. It uses APS-C sensor, for which web says it is used in DSLRs. Any comments how is this ?

Same is available with 20-55mm Compact Zoom for $340 without any card.

Tagging @nac @sabby

Last edited:
I came across Samsung NX3000 with 16-50mm OIS Power Zoom + 64GB Class 10 card bundle for $365. It uses APS-C sensor, for which web says it is used in DSLRs. Any comments how is this ?

For casual use, I wouldn't bother checking interchangeable lens camera. Are you sure you will be okay with interchangeable lens camera? If you're interested, why Samsung when you have Canon/Nikon or Sony? With sub $400, you can very well pick up one (even a dual lens kit) from these brands with India warranty.

And one more thing, if you bump up your budget you can almost always find a better camera.

Did photography bug bite you? ;)

For casual use, I wouldn't bother checking interchangeable lens camera. Are you sure you will be okay with interchangeable lens camera? If you're interested, why Samsung when you have Canon/Nikon or Sony? With sub $400, you can very well pick up one (even a dual lens kit) from these brands with India warranty.

And one more thing, if you bump up your budget you can almost always find a better camera.

Did photography bug bite you? ;)

Nah, it did not bite me yet :D.

In last week or so I m reading quite a lot on camera. One of thing I learned is sensor size is to be blamed for bad IQ in budget PnS cameras. They have same 1/2.3" sensor and cramp up MPs. So I started looking for cameras with bigger sensor sizes. Stumbled upon terminologies like 1/1.7" in Canons S series, 1" in RX100, and so on. However I m still not looking to play around with lenses and DSLRs; instead would prefer one time arrangement which would work most times/always. I saw and read upon camera like NX3000 purely on the basis of sensor size and IQ. Even if I m getting camera with capability of interchangeable lenses, I would stick to stock lenses. Do correct me if I am reading in wrong direction or interpreting them incorrectly. :)

In last week or so I m reading quite a lot on camera. One of thing I learned is sensor size is to be blamed for bad IQ in budget PnS cameras. They have same 1/2.3" sensor and cramp up MPs. So I started looking for cameras with bigger sensor sizes. Stumbled upon terminologies like 1/1.7" in Canons S series, 1" in RX100, and so on. However I m still not looking to play around with lenses and DSLRs; instead would prefer one time arrangement which would work most times/always. I saw and read upon camera like NX3000 purely on the basis of sensor size and IQ. Even if I m getting camera with capability of interchangeable lenses, I would stick to stock lenses. Do correct me if I am reading in wrong direction or interpreting them incorrectly. :)
Yes, bigger sensor produce better images. But got to put some effort in maintaining the camera and lens if you opt for interchangeable lens camera (ILC). The ultimate point of having ILC is the flexibility of changing lenses. I don't see the point of buying ILC just to use with stock lens.

Yes, bigger sensor produce better images. But got to put some effort in maintaining the camera and lens if you opt for interchangeable lens camera (ILC). The ultimate point of having ILC is the flexibility of changing lenses. I don't see the point of buying ILC just to use with stock lens.

In such case, what options do I have ? I have checked PnS in range of 10-15K viz. Nikon S7000, Sony WX350, Sony HX60V. All had issues in pics when I pixel peeped. Sony RX100 is approx 26k in India.

With 15k, all you can get here is a pin head sensor camera. Nothing better unless you opt for used camera. Now you have read about RX100 and it's overwhelming positive reviews and couldn't settle for anything less than RX100. You have to make up your mind, whether to settle for pin head sensors or RX100 or APS-C or no India warranty large sensor compacts like S110/XQ2/XZ2. Luckily you didn't fall for the likes of X100s, RX1... ;)

I just bought a simple camera for 8.5K INR called Canon IXUS 275HS. I took it on a trip with me and it was a pretty good experience. I'm least interested in photography but the wifi feature and how you can tether your phone to it and remotely control the camera via their app was something I played with a lot :p

Not a suggestion or anything, just my experience with a small, handy camera that takes decent pics.

You have to make up your mind, whether to settle for pin head sensors or RX100 or APS-C or no India warranty large sensor compacts like S110/XQ2/XZ2.
I m definitely not going for those 1/2.3" PnS.

Meanwhile I also came across Nikon 1 S2 which is going for $170; reading reviews about it at present.

Tagging @nac @sabby
Strange that I didn't get any alert for this tagging. Anyway, I really don't see any point going into any Interchangeable Lens systems if you're gonna stick to the kit/basic lenses. Plus, its not gonna be very easy to use and big enough that you don't want to carry with you most of the time. I'll still suggest getting RX100 (any version you can afford). With decent techniques, you can get much better photographs with that than any DSLR/Mirrorless camera with kit lenses. And the size of the RX100 is so small that you can always have it on you.

Meanwhile I also came across Nikon 1 S2 which is going for $170; reading reviews about it at present.
Again an ILC... But $170 is a steal !!! I assume its brand new with lens bundle offer.
I don't know much about this camera, but the price makes me think why not. And you don't mind about the bulk, you're okay with kit lens, better IQ than your phone camera.. Everything seems fine...

Back