CPU/Mobo Need config for 60K gaming rig...

shashank_r_t

Disciple
Hi All...

Well my cousin is finally going for an upgrade after 3 yrs... :D

Budget = 60K (Including monitor) and usage is gaming moviez ....

Following is the tentative config...

Intel C2Q 6600 2.4Ghz
Transcend DDR2 800Mhz (2x2GB or 4x1GB)
Mobo (mostly a P35 chipset based and good overclocker)
Seagate or WD 320GB SATA
XFX 8800GT
600 W PSU Coolermaster or Powersafe
Cabby .. not yet decided
Altec Lansing Atp3

Monitor LCD 20 / 22 inch

Plz suggest regarding the above config. Also how good is LG L226wtq?

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 9k + VAT

Motherboard - Abit IP35-E 5.5k

RAM - Patriot Extreme 2X1GB 3.5k (KMD), Transcend 2X1GB DDR2 800MHz 2.5k

HDD - Seagate 250GB Single Platter 7200.10 ST3250310AS 2.8k

GPU - MSI 8800GT 512MB OC Edition 12900+VAT

SMPS - Corsair VX450 3.7k + Shipping (Rahul - TheItwares and Phoenix - Xtremegx)

Cabinet - Cooler Master 690 ATX 4.3k

Speakers - Altech Lansing ATP3 2.6k

Total approx - 44k + Dell 22" SP2208WFP

for gaming, I would get a E6750 for about 8k /a dual core penryn of same price/Mhz (if it exists) and OC it to 3Ghz on stock (IMO only, not sure about it) - you save aout 3.5k, which you can put into a monitor.

Cabby - currently CM690 is best bang for the buck (Mounting IDE Drives is an issue tho) 4.5k (prime has a side window version for 5k)

Mobo - Get a Abit IP35-E, again a very VFM buy and a good OCer (about 6k) if you need dual GB lan get the IP35 pro (9.5k)

Monitors, no idea, but there are a lot of monitor threads in the peripherals section that you can go through.

hope that helps

Also check out this thread :PC Buying Guide

@punjab234- good rig quoted sir.. :)

But I guess d aBIT p35 pro shud fit in d budget easily.. The patriot memory seems just fine.. Another alternative maybe d g.Skill.. The 250 gb seagate 'raptor' is in..

But the atp3 is out of production by AL.. Its phased out.. If d person's not keen on d looks of d cabinet, a Zebronics Peace or Bijli shud cut costs further which maybe invested in d GBHZ memory by G.Skill or an aftermarket cooler.. Since this mobo and proccy's made for each other, a TRUE shud complement..

An XFX 8800GT shud be l8r perfect..

gannu_rox said:
@punjab234- good rig quoted sir.. :)

But I guess d aBIT p35 pro shud fit in d budget easily.. The patriot memory seems just fine.. Another alternative maybe d g.Skill.. The 250 gb seagate 'raptor' is in..

But the atp3 is out of production by AL.. Its phased out.. If d person's not keen on d looks of d cabinet, a Zebronics Peace or Bijli shud cut costs further which maybe invested in d GBHZ memory by G.Skill or an aftermarket cooler.. Since this mobo and proccy's made for each other, a TRUE shud complement..

An XFX 8800GT shud be l8r perfect..
hehehehehe, dont think like a pro overclocker when suggesting a general usage rig, he wont need the IP35 Pro or a GSkill memory and neither XFX 8800GT, ofcourse these will be highly advisable if OP wants to get the best bang for buck with overclocking.

i feel that high performance ram is obsolete since it hardly adds any performance advantage.... the hard drive speed is a bigger killer

now 2 250gb drives on raid 0 is a different story :D

E8400 - 9K, Abit IP35-E - 7K, 2 GB DDR 800 - 2.6K, 2x250 GB Seagate - 5.5K, Galaxy/XFX/Leadtek/Palit 8800GT - 14K, Dell E228WFP - 14K, Coolermaster 650W extreme power - 3.5K

The rest of it is up to you. This'd be a killer gaming rig, and the best part is you could use it for virtually everything.

Want a little more multitasking power. Opt for the Q6600 instead of the E8400.

Vandal said:
E8400 - 9K, Abit IP35-E - 7K, 2 GB DDR 800 - 2.6K, 2x250 GB Seagate - 5.5K, Galaxy/XFX/Leadtek/Palit 8800GT - 14K, Dell E228WFP - 14K, Coolermaster 650W extreme power - 3.5K

The rest of it is up to you. This'd be a killer gaming rig, and the best part is you could use it for virtually everything.

Want a little more multitasking power. Opt for the Q6600 instead of the E8400.

Prices you have stated are on the higher side by quite a margin for the mobo and graphic card. Punjab has already hit the nail with the prices and config.

Hey Guys... thanks for the replies... :)

@Punjab234 - Nice config... RAM - well dunno whether my bro will wait for patriot to be shipped.. so may be its Transcend.. :hap5:
Also the HDD u suggested... avauilabilty is an issue... any other suggestion.. and will corsair 450W be enuff... my bro has 2 DVD Writers and may be 1 extra HDD..:(

@Gannu_rox - Not sure if ABit p35pro may be required... again..any replacement for that seagate "raptor" ? And yes.. looks not a major issue... so can consider zebronics also..

@thebanik - the rig is for gaming and will be moderately overclocked.. and 8800GT is an absolute must..

@_pappu_ - definitely no raid here... if one of the disk fails... my bro will have a nervous breakdown..

@Vandal - Nice config... and any suggestions for Keyboard/mouse... wired/ wireless..

Well.. now these queries remain...

1. E8400 or Q6600?
2. How is the support for Abit IP35-E (Hope its not another ASUS story... and my bro is )
3. Should opt for 2GB or 4Gb RAM.. and if 4 GB should it be 2x2GB or 4x1GB
4. Any ASUS boards in the same range.

for gaming do not go near wireless, depending on the budget get a MX310 mouse or a MX500 mouse (wired, logitech prices 650,1300 resp.) As for keyboard ppl on this forum recommend the samsung pleomax for 350, so that should do.

Go for (apologies to superczar :p ) E8400 over the quad, excellent VFM at 9.5-10.5k price point and besides, Mhz are more important than no. of cores for gaming. And i think it does 4Ghz on air cooling.

As for the ram, it depends on your OS, if you are gonna be using a 64bit OS then 4GB in a 2x2GB config is best as you get dual channel + 2 slots are free for future expansion. If you are using a 32 bit OS 2x1GB is fine

IMO go for Abit over Asus because there are currently far fewer hate abit threads than hate asus threads so abits might be more reliable, i think all the P35 mobo's from abit have solid caps so they would be inherently more reliable. Regarding service , cannot comment, i am on my 1st abit board and no probs so far.

thebanik said:
Prices you have stated are on the higher side by quite a margin for the mobo and graphic card. Punjab has already hit the nail with the prices and config.

Its always good to state a higher price than to understate and give the said person a rude shock. And the lower prices you mention simply don't apply to other places (aside from Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore etc). In places like Nagpur, Jabalpur, Nashik, Cochin etc (smaller cities than metros) prices fluctuate like anything...

^^ about the config, thanks for mentioning that....I never even noticed ;)

Punjab234 said:
Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 9k + VAT
Motherboard - Abit IP35-E 5.5k
RAM - Patriot Extreme 2X1GB 3.5k (KMD), Transcend 2X1GB DDR2 800MHz 2.5k
HDD - Seagate 250GB Single Platter 7200.10 ST3250310AS 2.8k
GPU - MSI 8800GT 512MB OC Edition 12900+VAT
SMPS - Corsair VX450 3.7k + Shipping (Rahul - TheItwares and Phoenix - Xtremegx)
Cabinet - Cooler Master 690 ATX 4.3k
Speakers - Altech Lansing ATP3 2.6k
Total approx - 44k + Dell 22" SP2208WFP
FTW!!:hap2:
Paaji- tussi toph ho. :p
A quad- esp OCed- is only gonna draw lots of power and go pretty underutilised if its only gaming and movies. :ashamed:
So an E8400 or maybe even an E8200 (Rs.8100/- i read somewhere) will do the job. :)

Abit IP-35E does all that IP35Pro can if you can do without onboard RAID. :)
(No Abit micro guru, external reset switch- not much of a bother of a regular user imho.
What else does it miss out from the pro?? :S)
Since you mention OCing, some good cpu cooler like an Ultima90 or TRUE.
Transcend 2x1GB DDR2 800 should be enough- even for 24x7 OC. :)
Cabby can be cheaper if you want and a Zebby Bijli w/o psu is 1K odd here.
Just add a better 120mm fan at the back(say a cheapo Glacialtech) and move the stock blue one to front for intake+HDD cooling. :D
Or any other cabby with 120mm exhaust fan and decent spacing between HDDs and room for front intakle fans(80/120) will do the job.
VX450 is totally worth the money imo- peace of mind. :D
Do not go by the 450W tag and think some Foolermaster gives 600W for the same price- there's more to it than meets the eye. :)
If you want, HX520 or HX620 will do too. :p
Dell E228 or E248(24" for 17.9K :drool2: )

@bike

i thought you hated the thermalright ultima nd ultras.. :p :p

@OP... if u want an aftermarket cooler.. also consider the Arctic Cooler Freezers that KMD has.. very good for moderate OC's..

nope sli only on nvidia chipset based mobos......if ur looking for multi gpu gaming its advised u go for a crossfire rather than sli..far better scalability

sTALKEr said:
@bike
i thought you hated the thermalright ultima nd ultras.. :p :p
Recollect our convo- did i ever use the word 'hate'?? :no:
I had told you- Ultima leaves a lot desiring in the Quality dept compared to the TRU, TRUE or the Ultra90. :)
Have you ever checked all of them in person?? :cool2:
Coolers from Zalman, Zerotherm (Nirvana) or even the TuniQ- though outclassed now- are a revelation in terms of fit, finish and bundled accessories. ;)
Look at the fairly old and used TuniQ you have- any signs of corrosion or flaking??
But a TRUE starts corroding/flaking in 4-5 months. :hap5:
I think even the 2yr old TR XP90s ppl are still using are still quite shiny and nice. :p
But given a choice between Venus Williams and Kournikova- where do you put your money? :bleh:
Bringing personal convos onto the forums is never a good idea- especially in a wrongly worded format.
Statements always need to be considered in the entirety of the convo and not as standalone. :cool2:
sTALKEr said:
@OP... if u want an aftermarket cooler.. also consider the Arctic Cooler Freezers that KMD has.. very good for moderate OC's..
Looking at the fan options, cooling headroom- i would rather invest more on the Ultima 90. :)
While no doubt the Freezers are way too good in their own right, they still don't fall in the same class as the 'performance' coolers. :cool2:
But in the end, it all depends on the user who has to decide what is a satisfactory 24x7 OC forthem is and invest accordingly. :)
Some also don't believe in all this "show-off" stuff and feel the stock cooler is good enough for OCing. :p
Rahulrulez said:
Go for Point of View 500 Watt Black Diamond PSU, awesome stability and power supply.. I am using it..
Czar- Bakra!! :rofl:
note: for the confoosed- http://www.techenclave.com/general-talk/banish-this-phrase-105215.html

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Recollect our convo- did i ever use the word 'hate'?? :no:

looks like i touched a sensitive nerve here (ouch) :ashamed:

I had told you- Ultima leaves a lot desiring in the Quality dept compared to the TRU, TRUE or the Ultra90. :)

Have you ever checked all of them in person?? :cool2:

nope :huh:

Coolers from Zalman, Zerotherm (Nirvana) or even the TuniQ- though outclassed now- are a revelation in terms of fit, finish and bundled accessories. ;)

Look at the fairly old and used TuniQ you have- any signs of corrosion or flaking??

nope :huh:

But a TRUE starts corroding/flaking in 4-5 months. :hap5:

I think even the 2yr old TR XP90s ppl are still using are still quite shiny and nice. :p
But given a choice between Venus Williams and Kournikova- where do you put your money? :bleh:
Bringing personal convos onto the forums is never a good idea- especially in a wrongly worded format.

Statements always need to be considered in the entirety of the convo and not as standalone. :cool2:

messa sorry?

Looking at the fan options, cooling headroom- i would rather invest more on the Ultima 90. :)

While no doubt the Freezers are way too good in their own right, they still don't fall in the same class as the 'performance' coolers. :cool2:

But in the end, it all depends on the user who has to decide what is a satisfactory 24x7 OC forthem is and invest accordingly. :)

Some also don't believe in all this "show-off" stuff and feel the stock cooler is good enough for OCing. :p

Point here being that.. nowhere has to OP mentioned that he is going to be OCing.. so... let him answer that first... :)

Czar- Bakra!! :rofl:

note: for the confoosed- http://www.techenclave.com/general-talk/banish-this-phrase-105215.html

:lol: :D

Back